Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason plans

Re: Offseason plans

They honestly need to get rid of whatever analytical guys they are using to decide which hitters to add.
    It's not working at all. (If there's any traditional scouts that have input into selecting hitters from FA or trade, get
    rid of them too)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

Banshee (10-01-2020),Falls City Beer (10-03-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

1. Let Bauer and Disco walk, hope Castellonos opts out crying poor all the way.

B. Praise Bell and declare the past season a wild success.

3. Plan reunions for the 45th anniversary of the 1976 team.

D. Crank up the bobblehead making machine.

5. Hire a few more ex players to work on the booth, focus on Sean Casey as target number 1.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Ironically enough, I think there could be a match with Atlanta in a Suarez trade. They have young starters. Lefty relievers galore. My main target would be Pache to take center over.

1. Re-sign Bauer, let Disco and Galvis walk to pay for the raise
    2. Trade Castellanos for prospects if he doesn't opt out.
    3. Make Winker, Senzel and Shogo the OF with Aquino and Goodwin
    4. Make Votto the DH and stick Moose at 3B and Suarez at 1B.
    5. Get a new MI that can play defense, get on base and hit for average. Use the Castellanos money on a FA SS. I still like the idea of Didi on a short deal.
    6. Trade Barnhart for a couple lotto tickets and Make Stephenson/Casali the catching tandem
    7. Trade Miley if you can find a taker and use his money on a real lefty reliever.

Shogo LF
    new 2B man
    Votto DH
    Suarez 1B
    Didi SS
    Winker RF
    Moose 3B
    Stephenson/Casali C
    Senzel CF

Aquino, Goodwin, Farmer as the primary bench guys. That's 13 position players. Against LHP, maybe flip flop Senzel and Shogo, but not much else. On occasion Aquino can be used to rest Winker, Votto and Moose but not regularly. Goodwin plays the role that was supposed to be Jankowski this year, but with enough ability to play that we won't fear him getting an actual PA late in a game. Farmer is basically an IF defender and emergency catcher.

Bauer
    Castillo
    Gray
    Mahle
    Antone

Young pitcher du jour (Kuhnel, etc) on the AAA shuttle
    Stephenson
    Lorenzen
    Bradley
    New lefty
    Garrett
    Sims
    Iglesias

Lodolo and Greene cookin in AA/AAA
    Last edited by mth123; 10-01-2020 at 04:23 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    They honestly need to get rid of whatever analytical guys they are using to decide which hitters to add.
    It's not working at all. (If there's any traditional scouts that have input into selecting hitters from FA or trade, get
    rid of them too)
    I don't think you'll see a lot of teams making big decisions like that based on this season. It's a unique situation and a number of great players had poor years.

9. Likes:

RedlegJake (10-07-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020)

I would like to see the Reds go and raid a front office like the Rays or Dodgers. I know the Dodgers are big money team, but look at all the guys in their lineup or rotation that were guys we could have drafted and passed over. I thought Boddy was a gimmick last year but I am kind of a believer at this point. They really need to overhaul the entire player scouting and development arm of this team. Honestly there are not a lot of guys on this offense I would want to keep.

11. Likes:

CincyRed44 (10-02-2020),dreghorntwo (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Whit Merrifield is a guy I want the Reds to target in the offseason. When I was watching, he gave some of the toughest at bats I have seen all year. Plus he can play all over, so grabbing him doesn’t lock the Reds in positionally.

13. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (10-01-2020)

It's tough because on some days, I felt we were close and good enough to make some noise in the playoffs.
    But, considering the misery we've all been through with the Reds the past decade+, I wouldn't be opposed to blowing it all up and going full rebuild until Votto's contract is up.
    We'd be bad, but it wouldn't be much worse than what we're used to and we could potentially have HOPE, assuming you bring someone in that knows what they are doing in the FO.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Let’s discuss things the Reds need to do for 2021

Priority 1:Resign Bauer. Slot Antone into Disco’s rotation slot

Priority 2: Get a Hammer for the back of the pen. Pick up an above average lefty for the pen.

Priority 3: Barnhart leaves or becomes strictly a backup. Ty Steve is the future and is ready. Play him.

Priority 4: Find a real lead off hitter. They need guys that aren’t 3 outcome hackers.

Tough choices.

Senzel. He’s your number two overall pick. He’s a starter or he’s not. If he’s not, he’s trade bait.

Suarez: Yes I know he has been injured. But he’s a 3 outcome player. He is productive and has a very good contract. He could bring back a haul. Moose can play 3rd. Senzel or a new player could play 2nd. I’d look at moving him.
    1. Bauer is not coming back. Not happening. ZERO CHANCE. He was done as a Cincinnati Red at approx 2:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday. I do like Antone as a starter, though. Gotta make that move.

2. Votto has to retire. If he doesn't, the organization has no way out of this predicament. It's not his fault, and he earned that deal, but he can't play anymore. Can't hit. Can't field. Can't run. Take that money and the money that Bauer would have received an invest in a legit 1B, SS, and C who can make good contact and get on base consistently. Solid OPS over raw HR numbers. A-Rod was harping about LeMahieu. I don't think that's a legit possibility, but that's the mold I would have in mind. Yeah, good luck, right? Not many of those dudes walking around. But take a stab at it.

3. Agree with OP on lead-off spot. Come up with your first legit leadoff hitter since one-year rental Choo and only the second since Bip Roberts. Do whatever it takes.

4. Make anyone and everyone available via trade IF it gives you a net gain. No "off-limits" thinking. GET BETTER.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Whit Merrifield is a guy I want the Reds to target in the offseason. When I was watching, he gave some of the toughest at bats I have seen all year. Plus he can play all over, so grabbing him doesn’t lock the Reds in positionally.
    Problem with Merrifield is he's a bit older than people think. It'd take a lot to get him, and when you get him is probably right about the time he starts to fall off.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

17. Likes:

mth123 (10-01-2020),RedlegJake (10-07-2020)

I sure wouldn't mind Whit but the Royal that really intrigues me though is Salvador Perez. KC may view him as their own Yadi and and be interested only in extending and not dealing him, but he's a FA after 2021 and the Royals aren't especially close to contending. He improves the Reds hitting lineup and gives the pitchers a trusted veteran, and gives Stephenson time for more seasoning.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (10-01-2020),fondfoat (10-02-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I sure wouldn't mind Whit but the Royal that really intrigues me though is Salvador Perez. KC may view him as their own Yadi and and be interested only in extending and not dealing him, but he's a FA after 2021 and the Royals aren't especially close to contending. He improves the Reds hitting lineup and gives the pitchers a trusted veteran, and gives Stephenson time for more seasoning.
    I agree with that point. I was actually just trying to put together trade packages in my head for him, whit and Staumont.

21. Likes:

fondfoat (10-02-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    1. Bauer is not coming back. Not happening. ZERO CHANCE. He was done as a Cincinnati Red at approx 2:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday. I do like Antone as a starter, though. Gotta make that move.

2. Votto has to retire. If he doesn't, the organization has no way out of this predicament. It's not his fault, and he earned that deal, but he can't play anymore. Can't hit. Can't field. Can't run. Take that money and the money that Bauer would have received an invest in a legit 1B, SS, and C who can make good contact and get on base consistently. Solid OPS over raw HR numbers. A-Rod was harping about LeMahieu. I don't think that's a legit possibility, but that's the mold I would have in mind. Yeah, good luck, right? Not many of those dudes walking around. But take a stab at it.

3. Agree with OP on lead-off spot. Come up with your first legit leadoff hitter since one-year rental Choo and only the second since Bip Roberts. Do whatever it takes.

4. Make anyone and everyone available via trade IF it gives you a net gain. No "off-limits" thinking. GET BETTER.

I don't agree with your opinion on Votto. Obviously he isn't 30 anymore but there is still think he can help the team ( altough he shouldn't play everyday as #3 hitter).

But why on earth should he walk away from the money he'll get with his contract. Now way he'll retire.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    A-Rod was harping about LeMahieu. I don't think that's a legit possibility, but that's the mold I would have in mind. Yeah, good luck, right? Not many of those dudes walking around. But take a stab at it.
    How much would Jose Iglesias have helped this team? Obviously a smaller sample size but compared to DJ-
    DJ .364 .421 .590 1.011
    JI .373 .400 .556 .956

And no, I'm not suggesting that JI=DJ just an observation.
    Last edited by khunter2; 10-01-2020 at 04:52 PM.

24. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (10-01-2020)

He had a really good 2018. Aside from 2018 and 2019, his career OBP is in the mid .320's and he'll be 32 in January.

This year was his worst since his rookie year offensively. Defensively, he was a negative WAR guy. Is that a product of this being a special season or is he already in decline? Who knows, but I don't want to see the Reds use valuable trade chips to acquire the guy and find out.

26. Likes:

BoxingRed (10-02-2020)

Turn Off Ads?