Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason plans

Re: Offseason plans

Obvious fixes the Reds need this offseason:

David Bell seems to be more of a problem than a solution. I don't see how you can keep Alan Zinter after having a historically bad offense, but this weird season might give him enough of an excuse.

SS and CF are problems. I'm usually for the youth movement but Garcia clearly isn't ready. I have no idea what you do with Senzel. He's hurt so much but occasionally you see those shades of greatness.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Let’s discuss things the Reds need to do for 2021

Priority 1:Resign Bauer. Slot Antone into Disco’s rotation slot

Priority 2: Get a Hammer for the back of the pen. Pick up an above average lefty for the pen.

Priority 3: Barnhart leaves or becomes strictly a backup. Ty Steve is the future and is ready. Play him.

Priority 4: Find a real lead off hitter. They need guys that aren’t 3 outcome hackers.

Tough choices.

Senzel. He’s your number two overall pick. He’s a starter or he’s not. If he’s not, he’s trade bait.

Suarez: Yes I know he has been injured. But he’s a 3 outcome player. He is productive and has a very good contract. He could bring back a haul. Moose can play 3rd. Senzel or a new player could play 2nd. I’d look at moving him.
    Agreed...except we ain't gonna get to keep Bauer. But we can't keep Votto, Suarez, Moose and Senzel in their current capabilities. Suarez has a good contract...can be moved and allows us to move Senzel back to infield were he belongs and Moose off 2nd base.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    Agreed...except we ain't gonna get to keep Bauer. But we can't keep Votto, Suarez, Moose and Senzel in their current capabilities. Suarez has a good contract...can be moved and allows us to move Senzel back to infield were he belongs and Moose off 2nd base.
    Votto to DH and Moose to 1b seems to be an obvious fix to me. I know Winker and Castellanos are awful defensively too, but Votto's new home for the rest of his contract needs to be DH.

7. Likes:

TexasRedsFan (10-01-2020)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    India isn't bringing back more than a competent middle reliever at this point. Maybe mid-year if he has a strong start.
    Yeah, India has little value at this point. And Senzel loses value by the day.

Thanks, Buckley.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

9. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Yeah, India has little value at this point. And Senzel loses value by the day.

Thanks, Buckley.
    Remember when Buckley drafted his own kid with a 6th round pick? Good times.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

11. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    He drafted the son of his golfing buddy in the first round (Travieso).
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

13. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

Gone:
    Bell
    Zinter
    Barnhart
    Galvis
    Iglesias
    Votto
    Senzel

Everyone else is worth keeping imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Ha.

I also remember when they signed Jocketty's son off the backfields of get this - Miami University, Hamilton campus, and then promoted him to pro scout after he scraped the bottom of the barrel of the RK leagues.

16. Likes:

Crumbley (10-02-2020),REDREAD (10-03-2020)

IMO, the top disappointment of 2020 and question mark going into 2021 is Suarez. Outside of a couple of home run streaks, he was a black hole offensively, especially in the cleanup spot where Bell hit him pretty much all season. Maybe he never fully recovered from the pre-season injury, but all reports we heard said that he had. Does he get back close to his lifetime .265 average with more reps next year or was this season an indication that a very steep decline has set in? He'd still probably return something valuable with that team friendly contract, but he's also beloved by his teammates and trading him would be a morale blow. I give him a chance to return to form, but if he starts as slow next year, I don't know how long you can keep him in a prime RBI spot.

I'm starting to think the Reds should take the money they would give to Bauer (who is likely signing somewhere in sunny California) and go all-in on Didi. His presence both on the field and in the lineup would help this team a lot. Inform Votto he's dh'ing most of the time now and if it makes him unhappy, tell him we won't be insulted if he retires. Play Moose primarily at first and Garcia at either 2nd or SS (wherever Didi isn't). Winker/Shogo/Castellanos (assuming he's back) is primary outfield with Goodwin as late inning defensive replacement. I trade Senzel if there's a decent return, otherwise he platoons in center with Shogo. I trade Tucker to a team thin on catching (doubt they will though) and let Stephenson be Casali's caddy. Gray/Castillo/Mahle/Miley/Antone might be at least a middle-of-the-road starting staff, but upgrade 3/4/5 if a trade or good FA signing becomes available. Most of all, I hire a new hitting coach who can hopefully help at least some guys return to pre-2020 norms and that having Didi around improves team chemistry.

I don't think we can expect much other change with the financial obligations that'll be on the books.
    Last edited by TexasRedsFan; 10-01-2020 at 11:32 PM.

18. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (10-02-2020),HammerTime (10-02-2020),REDREAD (10-03-2020)

One of the things I'd like to see them do, and actually advocated for this offseason, is try and find a couple of guys with different approaches for the lineup and bench.

It feels like they have had too many guys with similar all or nothing approaches the last few years. I get a lot of that is launch angle, and the 3 true outcome approach.

And I know a lot on the board hated them at the time, and would hate similar players now. But, I always thought some of the Reds best, and most consistent offenses (meaning not 10 runs in one game and 0 the next) where those middle 00s teams. Sure, you had Griffey and Dunn in the middle as the major catalysts. But, I always thought having veterans with solid, different approaches like Randa, Aurilia, Hatteberg etc...helped elongate the lineup, and made it so that one certain type of pitcher or pitch couldn't dominate.

If you had a great fastball Dunn or Griffey could hit it out of the park. If you had junk a vet would make you work or go the other way.

This past offseason I advocated for Howie Kendrick as one of those types. And he was simply terrible this year, so it was good they didn't listen to me on that one. But, I still think finding a few of those types and mixing them with the launch angle guys would help the lineup.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 10-01-2020 at 11:48 PM.

20. Likes:

goreds2 (10-02-2020),Old school 1983 (10-02-2020),REDREAD (10-03-2020),wally post (10-02-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Suarez sucked for 2 months in a pandemic shortened season in which he was going miss a good amount of time with a shoulder injury. Looking to get rid of him is not a genius move, if you ask me.

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-02-2020),alwaysawarrior (10-02-2020),BEETTLEBUG (10-02-2020),Bob Sheed (10-02-2020),BoxingRed (10-02-2020),CaiGuy (10-02-2020),Coopdaddy67 (10-02-2020),CySeymour (10-02-2020),Edd Roush (10-03-2020),marcshoe (10-01-2020),ochoa30 (10-02-2020),RedlegJake (10-07-2020),Revering4Blue (10-02-2020),Ron Madden (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Suarez sucked for 2 months in a pandemic shortened season in which he was going miss a good amount of time with a shoulder injury. Looking to get rid of him is not a genius move, if you ask me.
    Hi everybody! This is my first post ever, despite being in the forum since the beginning and the previous forum too. Excuse me if my english its no very good but I live in Argentina and spanish is my language. Y read it every single day.

How about getting back Donnie Ecker from the Giants and make him the hitting coach?? He did and incredible work this year (looks as the giants numbers, besides he was giving the credit for change Aquino`s batter stance, resurging his prospect status.

Cheers from Argentina!

24. Likes:

757690 (10-02-2020),BEETTLEBUG (10-02-2020),Coopdaddy67 (10-02-2020),dreghorntwo (10-02-2020),dsterry (10-02-2020),goreds2 (10-02-2020),jwdoc77 (10-02-2020),RedlegJake (10-07-2020),REDREAD (10-03-2020),Revering4Blue (10-02-2020),Ron Madden (10-02-2020),StRedlegs900 (10-02-2020),wally post (10-02-2020)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Life is good when you've got a great scouting department and an owner who believes in spending what it takes to win.
    It also helps that the Cardinals organization (among other organizations) operates without a degree of sentimentality, allowing them to consistently make sound decisions as a result.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-02-2020 at 01:00 AM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

26. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (10-02-2020),REDREAD (10-03-2020)

nm
    Last edited by fondfoat; 10-02-2020 at 06:21 AM. Reason: wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Votto to DH and Moose to 1b seems to be an obvious fix to me. I know Winker and Castellanos are awful defensively too, but Votto's new home for the rest of his contract needs to be DH.
    I agree that Votto should be the DH. I'd move Suarez to 1B and stick Moose at 3B. Suarez defense is disappointing. The Moose I remember is better than him defensively. I'd role with Winker, and Shogo in the OF with Aquino and Goodwin on the bench. I'd move Castellanos, Barnhart and Miley for prospects/lotto tickets and contract relief and focus my spending on two middle of the diamond players who are more rounded than HR/Walk/K with little speed or defense. My FA targets would be Didi Gregorius and George Springer which would put Nick Senzel at 2B. My alternatives would be Marcus Semien, DJ Lemahieu, Andrelton Simmons. Two players of that ilk with SS a must and either 2B or CF as the other with Senzel playing the open spot. If none of that is available, then I'd focus on Marcell Ozuna and Joc Pederson with Shogo in CF. Any money left over would go toward a mid rotation starter and a lefty reliever of some quality. If those aren't available, I'd be OK with rolling with Gray, Castillo, Mahle, Antone and Lorenzen as the rotation with Greene and Lodolo cookin in AA./AAA. Maybe bring in another Miley or Disco type if they can get one cheap. Stephenson and Casali form the catching tandem next year.

I'm assuming they have no chance at Bauer after what we just watched the last couple of days. If he'd come back, they should make him priority number one and may need to reduce the shopping list to SS only.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?