Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bauer should leave the Reds

Re: Bauer should leave the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by reds77 View Post
    I didn't know that tidbit. My thought was they Angels recognize Trout isn't getting any younger and would go after the best pitching FA, which is Bauer.
    Yep it is a great fit, except for that one small fact ... Bauer would go play in JAPAN before he would play for Mickey Callaway

2. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (10-03-2020),reds77 (10-05-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Going into a very uncertain future with Covid next year IMO many will be surprised how low some of the FA offers will be. Bauer is likely going to be better off taking a massive 1 year deal and going into 2022 season as a FA again. I assume that offer was a joke, but I think teams are going to be very reluctant to be throwing around $200M offers.
    I think the big stars will get paid, they always do, unless there's collusion.
    The tweeners, like if Castellnos becomes a FA will probably get less
    LA just gave Mookie Betts a monster deal in season.
    Bauer probably isn't going to get 500 million, but he will get a huge offer that will get his attention and be hard to turn down.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Let's say he only wants to sign for a year (as he has said). What does a team pay for one year of Bauer off the season he had, knowing you don't have to pay for the out years which present risks for decline and poor health. Is $45 million out of line as an ask? That probably checks out on a projected WAR x $9MM/win. Plus, if you sign him to a deal like that and your season doesn't work out, assuming good health and performance, at the deadline he's probably worth at least the draft pick you give up to sign him if not more.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (10-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I think everyone touting money as the reason for him leaving is going to be dead wrong.
    Most fans have tunnel vision. Most money = guarantee player signs there.

There are so many other variables that are in play. Now yes, $ is going to be a dominant factor as always but players tend to care about where they play, who they play for, who they play with, and how they are going to be treated. Especially considering an individual like Trevor, there are a lot of things at play and a lot of those things play to the Reds favor. Now I'm not saying he won't ink a big contract with a different club but I'm saying that in no way will it only be because that club cut the biggest check.

8. Likes:

757690 (10-05-2020),Chip R (10-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    Let's say he only wants to sign for a year (as he has said). What does a team pay for one year of Bauer off the season he had, knowing you don't have to pay for the out years which present risks for decline and poor health. Is $45 million out of line as an ask? That probably checks out on a projected WAR x $9MM/win. Plus, if you sign him to a deal like that and your season doesn't work out, assuming good health and performance, at the deadline he's probably worth at least the draft pick you give up to sign him if not more.
    Somewhere above Cole's AAV of $36 given that you don't have the out years.

I suspect you start up around $42. And you are correct and insightful about the deadline trade. Another team benefit to a 1 year deal. You could get him for $20 some odd million for a half season and end up with a draft pick from a contender if you fall out of contention.

Bauer doesn't strike me as being just about the $$$...I think it is 100% about fit with him as well with the dollars being a very nice bonus. If the Reds are close they will have a shot, plus the Reds gave him a nice opportunity to work with Kyle Boddy and assist with that aspect of the game as well. I would not sell our chances short.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Of course, I expect he'll never have a partial year like this one. He will now stink.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I expect for one season someone might pay him $50M. Actually, would likely pay him that.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I expect for one season someone might pay him $50M. Actually, would likely pay him that.
    Not a chance, I like Bauer, but a lot of people on here are way overvaluing him. He will make his money, but not 50million even for one year.

Bauer is among many who I think are definitely gone in one way or another.

My list of who I think will be gone by Opening Day 2021:

Bauer
    Nick C. (Opt out)
    Galvis
    Goodwin
    Bradley
    Miley
    Iglesias
    Casali/Barnhart (Whoever doesn't go is here with Stephenson next year)

I think Bauer will sign something for like 3/$100MM with an opt out after the 2nd year. But not with the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post

Bauer
    Nick C. (Opt out)
    Galvis
    Goodwin
    Bradley
    Miley
    Iglesias
    Why would Castellanos get a better deal this offseason? Please, someone help.

If you think he hates it here and opts out that’s another thing...

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-06-2020),Chip R (10-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I think Bauer will sign something for like 3/$100MM with an opt out after the 2nd year. But not with the Reds
    Doubt seriously he signs for 3 yrs, he has been pretty clear it will be one even if he says he will entertain all offers. And 3 for 100 might get it done because of COVID, but it is probably on the low side. If he did sign for 3 it would probably push $110. More likely will see 1 yr $36 with a player option for $8 to $10.

I’m going to go on the record saying that if he signs a one-year deal, he’s back with the Reds.

20. Likes:

HammerTime (10-06-2020),jwdoc77 (10-06-2020),Rojo Rijo (10-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post

Bauer
    Nick C. (Opt out)
    Galvis
    Goodwin
    Bradley
    Miley
    Iglesias
    Bradley has another year of arbitration and is a quality relief pitcher. Why would he not be here?

Why would Castellanos opt out? He just turned in his lowest OPS since 2015, the market is not expected to be favorable, he has a $14 million base for 2021, and he can opt out after next year.

Iglesias is only gone if the Reds trade him and with the team still in contend mode I don't think you could come up with a good reason for him being dealt.

It feels like you are just throwing darts

22. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-06-2020),Edd Roush (10-06-2020),HammerTime (10-06-2020),MG NorCal (10-06-2020),Revering4Blue (10-06-2020),Wonderful Monds (10-06-2020)

Turn Off Ads?