Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Was 2020 a successful season?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

80 61.54%
  • Yes

50 38.46%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider the 2020 season a success (poll)

Do you consider the 2020 season a success (poll)

Not meant to start any arguments, just curious if people consider this season a success or not. Use whatever criteria you want.

I don't consider this season a success after waiting 5 years of tanking and a transitional year (2019) to "Go for it".
    Pretty much all of Dick William's adds since the past offseason flopped.
    I guess one could argue Constellanos was ok, or perhaps Archie Miller was ok until he got sore (but he really didn't contribute much). It wouldn't bother me too much (it's not my money) but we have some contracts that are going to really be dead weight if the guys don't rebound next year. And we have some pending FAs, most
    notably Bauer that are going to make it tough to be even relevant next year, and probably not a lot of cash to address the problems.

Sure, there were some good moments. The big 3 in the rotation were fun to watch. The last 2 weeks (or so) of the season when they went on a tear was fun, but overall, this is one of the most disappointing seasons I have
    seen for a long time, so I am voting "no".

Would be interested in hearing other people's takes.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you consider the 2020 season a success (poll)

No. This team was supposed to be dominant and contend for the Central title. The offense was horrible all year and the bullpen was not as good as advertised. Two of our starting 5 pitchers turned out to be busts. One because of injury and one because of performance. We had too many people on the team and Bell tried to play everybody. With Bell the expanded rosters were a disaster. Just look at yesterday as proof of that. The team needs a complete rebuild because there is no foundation to work with on this team.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

it was obviously more fun than years before but all in all it is tough to call the season a success.

I just feel that we wasted a big chance to win it all. I can't think of a better starting pitcher rotation wearing a reds uniform. The way reds starters pitched (half of the games in a very hitter friendly park) was outstanding. The reds spent lots of money to boost the offense and they didn't even get mediocre-average production. Coaching was terrible but it's also on the players aswell. If something doesn't work, change the approach.

We wasted a season with (most likely) a cy winning pitcher and 2 others who would have been number one pitchers on other teams... We'll see a different starting rotation next year, I just hope that we'll see a much better offense to counter the loss of Bauer...
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020),StRedlegs900 (10-01-2020)

I don't think it's as simple as "yes" or "no" but if I have to choose one, I'd say the answer is no.

They were expected to dominate the division. We will never know what would have happened in a full length season, but what we had was obviously far from dominant.

But, they did make the playoffs, and whatever happened today, you can't discount that.

So, a soft "no" for me.

8. Likes:

paintmered (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020),TexasRedsFan (10-01-2020)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I was thrilled they made the playoffs. That was my goal and they achieved it. Honestly, I would have been disappointed but not angry if they went out and lost a well-played series.

But the demon inside this org is never satiated. It giveth some and taketh away all.

I cannot consider this season a successful one. We weren't exactly a dominant 31-29. But the season ending like it did just ruins every little positive feeling you might have gotten from any of this.

And I don't think it's realistic to believe next year will be better. Bauer will be gone. Castellanos...well, let's just say he played his way into a long term commitment to this org. He's not going to get better on the free market than what he is guaranteed if he stays here. I'd like to see him go, but...I won't. Gray's going to be a year older and he'll regress from what he did this year.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Yes. Slight improvement over 2019. Bad Reds baseball beats no Reds baseball.

12. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020)

It cannot be success if you fall so short of your expectations as they did. There were certainly a couple of positives. Bauer for one, although most likely moving on. Ok, maybe there was only 1 positive.

***Edited

There were actually a few positives besides Bauer. Gray, Castillo and a few relievers.
    Last edited by woodyjoe; 10-01-2020 at 04:13 PM.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Maybe in a week I could look back and call it a success. After what we've witnessed over the last two days though, it's hard to come away positive. Baseball is a marathon game but when you get to the playoffs it moves to a sprint. The Reds have struggled to make that transition for most of my life. I thought this year (with all of the changes) might be different, but it wasn't.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

From 2000-2019, the Reds finished with 4 regular seasons at or above .500 and 16 regular seasons below .500.

The 2020 Reds finished above .500, barely, so I call it a relative success.

The problem is that the standard for success is so pathetically low.

18. Likes:

Boss-Hog (10-01-2020),Old school 1983 (10-02-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
    Yes. Slight improvement over 2019. Bad Reds baseball beats no Reds baseball.
    Oh, I disagree there. I've seen plenty of bad Reds Baseball. No Reds Baseball isn't just beating it - it's batting around twice and stealing 2nd with a 18 run lead.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Is this a serious question?
    Rounding third and heading for home...

22. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

I had more fun than I didn't

So yeah sure, it was success... like a good meal at Jack in the Box level success, with the same indigestion afterwards too.

24. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-01-2020),Edskin (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020)

This isn’t really a black and white question, IMO. But, they made the playoffs so yes.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

26. Likes:

fondfoat (10-02-2020),mbgrayson (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020),Tom Servo (10-01-2020)

What stood out for me was how boring this team was. Even during the winning streak, it was nowhere as exciting as other winning streaks. I love good pitching, I love close, low scoring games, and yet most games were hard to watch.

I think a key part is the three outcome philosophy of the offense, but it also is the painful defense and base running. There is nothing more boring to me than poorly played baseball, and the Reds 2020 season was poorly played baseball for nearly the entire season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

28. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (10-01-2020),dreghorntwo (10-01-2020),Kilgore_Trout (10-01-2020),Marc D (10-01-2020),MrRedSkull (10-01-2020),New Fever (10-02-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020),texasdave (10-01-2020),TexasRedsFan (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This isn’t really a black and white question, IMO. .
    I was trying to force people to commit.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?