Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Was 2020 a successful season?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

80 61.54%
  • Yes

50 38.46%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider the 2020 season a success (poll)

They call me "chef"

Re: Do you consider the 2020 season a success (poll)

They were great for 2 weeks and very bad for the rest of the time.

2. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020),tripleaaaron (10-01-2020),UKFlounder (10-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    What stood out for me was how boring this team was. Even during the winning streak, it was nowhere as exciting as other winning streaks. I love good pitching, I love close, low scoring games, and yet most games were hard to watch.

I think a key part is the three outcome philosophy of the offense, but it also is the painful defense and base running. There is nothing more boring to me than poorly played baseball, and the Reds 2020 season was poorly played baseball for nearly the entire season.
    In an ugly era of baseball, the Reds were simply nauseating. The chasm between my giddy expectations for the offense this spring and the utterly clueless hacking of the past two games puts 2020 decidedly into the unsuccessful category for me.

5. Likes:

MrRedSkull (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Absolutely. This organization is still so talent-poor it had to perform contract-gymnastics to lure an .800 OPS rh butcher of a fielder to come here. It’s going to take years (again) to shed the stink of losing from this team and yet they made it to the postseason with a deeply mediocre offense and a bad bullpen. They shouldn’t have made it and they did. That’s a good season and something to build on.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

a team that everyone projected would make the playoffs (especially with over half the teams in MLB making the playoffs due to the four extra teams overall making it) barely sneaks in. then they get completely embarrassed in the two postseason games they did play.

if that's a "successful season" i'm glad i was never on a sports team with any of y'all.

9. Likes:

MrRedSkull (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020),tripleaaaron (10-01-2020)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    They were great for 2 weeks and very bad for the rest of the time.
    Exactly.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

11. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Ask the people who spent $164M in the off-season if this was successful.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

13. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

A soft no. I've certainly seen much worse teams. But, I think this team was better than 31-29. It's tough to judge due to the weird nature of the year.

The playoffs were kind of a microcosm of the entire season. Starting pitching is great, offense and some decisions not so much.

I don't know where they go from here. Every scenario (outside of absurd ones like Senzel and Aquino becoming MVP level players) where the Reds compete involves Suarez as a legit middle order (borderline MVP) bat. I don't think you can take that for granted right now (especially if the shoulder was the cause of his year). Without that I don't see the offense being good enough, especially since Votto will just be a year older next season.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

I will answer in binary:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    They'd only say no because of the lack of gate revenue.

I think this year was a success by the pandemic shortened standard. It was not what anybody was hoping for back when spring training started, but that was a whole different world.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020)

I mean when you suck you gotta pay up. Them’ s the breaks. It’s really the only way this organization is going to achieve escape velocity in the near-term.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020)

Hey, look at the money the Phillies have thrown around the last two offseasons. At least the Reds won enough games when they needed to in order to qualify for the postseason, unlike them.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

22. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-01-2020),ochoa30 (10-01-2020),REDREAD (10-01-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020),Rolando (10-01-2020),Ron Madden (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    They'd only say no because of the lack of gate revenue.

I think this year was a success by the pandemic shortened standard. It was not what anybody was hoping for back when spring training started, but that was a whole different world.
    I think most reasonable people would say this year was somewhere between a slight success and a very minor failure. I could really see someone voting anywhere in-between those. I would question anyone who would be way far out on either spectrum.

Going forward I think the biggest question is the Reds 3/4 hitters. Moose is a good .800 bat ancillary piece. Votto is probably around an .800 bat at this point. Castellanos has that potential, but this year he looked more like a good 2 hole hitter, not that 3 or 4 your build around. Reds really, really, really need Suarez to be that guy going forward. If he's not, I don't really see a 3 or 4 hole hitter on the team, and I don't see one in the upper minors waiting to burst onto the scene.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020),Tom Servo (10-01-2020)

I'm not worried about dollar figures, it's not my money, other teams do it with less.

Just do it

26. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (10-01-2020),fondfoat (10-02-2020),Revering4Blue (10-01-2020),Tom Servo (10-01-2020),tripleaaaron (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I think most reasonable people would say this year was somewhere between a slight success and a very minor failure. I could really see someone voting anywhere in-between those. I would question anyone who would be way far out on either spectrum.

Going forward I think the biggest question is the Reds 3/4 hitters. Moose is a good .800 bat ancillary piece. Votto is probably around an .800 bat at this point. Castellanos has that potential, but this year he looked more like a good 2 hole hitter, not that 3 or 4 your build around. Reds really, really, really need Suarez to be that guy going forward. If he's not, I don't really see a 3 or 4 hole hitter on the team, and I don't see one in the upper minors waiting to burst onto the scene.
    Going forward the biggest question is if Reds’ ownership will continue to spend on the team at or near the current level. If so, they can improve the product.

It was a successful season IMO, especially looking back three years to a rebuilding plan that looked hopeless.
    I’m happy they reached .500 plus.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-01-2020 at 05:57 PM.

28. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Hey, look at the money the Phillies have thrown around the last two offseasons. At least the Reds won enough games when they needed to in order to qualify for the postseason, unlike them.
    Or team like the Angels who have a generational talent and another MVP type player and they even sniffed the playoffs. I say it was a success. Obviously the playoffs were a total disaster though
    Crazy Reds Fan

30. Likes:

REDREAD (10-01-2020),Tom Servo (10-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?