Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Was 2020 a successful season?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

80 61.54%
  • Yes

50 38.46%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Do you consider the 2020 season a success (poll)

Re: Do you consider the 2020 season a success (poll)

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    1. 4 teams in our division made playoffs...so we played a decent division and still made it in.
    2. .500 season after years of not coming close
    Since we only played AL central and NL central teams this year, and there was a wacky expanded playoffs,
    I could make the argument that the central division really wasn't that good. Maybe the Cubs could be considered good.
    The Cards, Brewers, and Reds all kind of hovered around 500, and benefited from beating up on the Pirates.
    I think there was a lot of parity in the division, it wasn't necessarily a strong division.
    The Cards got beat up by all those double headers, which also helped increase parity in the division.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-02-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

The Centrals are a combined 2-12 in postseason play right now. I don't think these were the premiere divisions in baseball.

5. Likes:

elrojo (10-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The Reds had to throw a 4 year - 64M$ deal at him [Moose] to come here.
    Yes, we are seeing the long term damage done to this franchise, and most recently the tanking damage.
    We have to overpay free agents to come here.
    We offered Ozuna a crazy good deal, I think someone said 3 years/50 million? And he turned it down for a one year deal with
    Atlanta.
    In hindsight, we overpaid every FA we signed this past winter. Either we did not do a good job evaluating talent or
    no one wants to play here anymore, so the Reds had to settle for guys who value the highest paycheck over winning (And it shows on the field).

Other than the Walt years, this franchise has been a joke since maybe 1999 or so? I really don't want to debate the exact year, but when the team has been a laughingstock for so long, they aren't going to have much credibility when trying to sign FAs.
    I am guessing FA see us as a bottom rung team, much like Miami, Pittsburg, and KC.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I voted "no" because there was nothing normal about this season. I certainly don't think 60 games is a complete accounting over a season that is supposed to be 162 games. I don't put much stock in evaluating this team in only 60 games. In normal season, 60 games gets you to the end of May. Most teams haven't even made up their minds about trades by that point of a normal season.

Add to that all the weird rules changes this year, plus the expanded playoff format ... it's just hard for me to get all worked up over "what a lousy organization this is - burn it down" based on two months of games that have been specifically rigged to keep owners from losing so much money in this wacky, weird year.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

8. Likes:

Banshee (10-02-2020),CaiGuy (10-05-2020),REDREAD (10-02-2020),Revering4Blue (10-02-2020)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

This is a successful season:

https://twitter.com/mlbonfox/status/...950080512?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rounding third and heading for home...

10. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

Agree that the playoffs are revealing that the Central teams were balanced, not necessarily good.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    This is a successful season:

https://twitter.com/mlbonfox/status/...950080512?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really don't think there's much of a lesson to be learned from the 2020 Marlins, except the randomness of a short season and rock bottom expectations.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Strange as it may sound, I was satisfied. Winning record in the "regular" season, and faced the impossible in the playoffs. They pitched well except for the bullpen, and other factors. It ws loads better than the last seven years. But not enough.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

15. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

Yes, it was a marginal success. One timely hit in Game 1 of the wild card series could have changed everything for the Reds in the Postseason. The front office do their best with the limited funds available and it is not their fault if the players don’t hit. It is more a question of whether the coaching is good enough. As Bauer said after Game 1 - it is all about executing, something that has long been a problem with Reds hitters. Can’t wait until ‘21!

17. Likes:

CaiGuy (10-05-2020)

Turn Off Ads?