Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 1012

Thread: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

  1. #301
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    26,505

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Honestly, their rotation looks like a problem with what they *already* have, Gray+Castillo and then ?????? already needs a big addition if Bauer isn’t coming back. They need that shortstop solution in addition to everything they already have. Trading Gray to get it is just treading water at best.
    Agreed. I'd argue that if the Reds wanted to be relevant next year, Gray is much more important than upgrading SS.
    Bottom feed for a veteran SS and keep Gray. If we assume Bauer is gone, they are already a dark horse for the playoffs next year (unless it is expanded again, then maybe they sneak in and get trounced in the first round again)
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #302
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,438

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    again, this team is in no realistic position where they can have a "rebuild." you can't have a rebuild when you owe almost $200M combined to votto, moose and castellanos over the next 3 seasons. 2024 is when a rebuild could start, because those contracts will be off the books. i still like the castellanos contract. the other two are awful contracts for the reds.

    there is a chance the reds could trade castellanos, but no team would want to take votto or moose unless the reds would eat a ton of salary (especially in votto's case).

    the whole idea of a rebuild right now is strange, which is another reason i'm not buying it. this team decided to spend a bunch of money going into the 2020 season. not just for 2020, but through 2023. they didn't give moose a big 1-year contract. they gave him 4 years. same for castellanos. they gave shogo 3 years. miley 2. they spent more money than they ever had in an offseason by far, but it wasn't just to go "all in" for 2020, otherwise they would have been trying to find guys they could sign on 1-year deal and not LTCs.

    so, the reds spend big heading into 2020, make the playoffs, and now some of you think they are going to "rebuild" starting in 2021? how does that make any sense? and how does that jibe with the plan this front office made less than a year ago? yes, dick williams is gone now, but unless he was the one pulling all the strings, a lot of people who are still in powerful positions with the reds likely signed off on spending big on moose, castellanos and shogo. it was basically the reds saying "we are going to compete this year and beyond." i don't see them scrapping that plan after a winning season in 2020.

    find a good veteran starting pitcher and give them a morton-like deal ($15M for 1 year). that will shore up the rotation. sign a SS. that's a team that could definitely compete in the nl central.

  4. #303
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    14,019

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    I don’t think people are giving Antone enough respect.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  5. Likes:

    Old school 1983 (11-27-2020)

  6. #304
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    29,132

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    again, this team is in no realistic position where they can have a "rebuild." you can't have a rebuild when you owe almost $200M combined to votto, moose and castellanos over the next 3 seasons. 2024 is when a rebuild could start, because those contracts will be off the books. i still like the castellanos contract. the other two are awful contracts for the reds.

    there is a chance the reds could trade castellanos, but no team would want to take votto or moose unless the reds would eat a ton of salary (especially in votto's case).

    the whole idea of a rebuild right now is strange, which is another reason i'm not buying it. this team decided to spend a bunch of money going into the 2020 season. not just for 2020, but through 2023. they didn't give moose a big 1-year contract. they gave him 4 years. same for castellanos. they gave shogo 3 years. miley 2. they spent more money than they ever had in an offseason by far, but it wasn't just to go "all in" for 2020, otherwise they would have been trying to find guys they could sign on 1-year deal and not LTCs.

    so, the reds spend big heading into 2020, make the playoffs, and now some of you think they are going to "rebuild" starting in 2021? how does that make any sense? and how does that jibe with the plan this front office made less than a year ago? yes, dick williams is gone now, but unless he was the one pulling all the strings, a lot of people who are still in powerful positions with the reds likely signed off on spending big on moose, castellanos and shogo. it was basically the reds saying "we are going to compete this year and beyond." i don't see them scrapping that plan after a winning season in 2020.

    find a good veteran starting pitcher and give them a morton-like deal ($15M for 1 year). that will shore up the rotation. sign a SS. that's a team that could definitely compete in the nl central.
    Agree.

    But Reds did increase salary meaningfully last year. Given the COVID year, Reds could decide to cut this off-season, also meaningfully.

    They won’t go into a rebuild. But they may try to maintain competitiveness very cheaply. Don’t sign Bauer, shed a couple other contracts if possible. And add back from the bargain store.

    I don’t think Reds need another big spending off-season, but if their goal is serious cost cutting, rebuild or no, it will be hard for Reds to improve.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-27-2020 at 12:17 PM.

  7. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (11-30-2020)

  8. #305
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don’t think people are giving Antone enough respect.
    Antone is getting just the right amount of respect for a guy who's pitched 35 big league innings. Mahle may be the guy not getting enough respect. I like Tejay as a starter okay, but I like him more as a 1-2 inning killer in the pen. And I think I like Lorenzen better as starter to be honest. But the back of the rotation will sort out just fine as long as the Reds don't do something stupid like trade Sonny.

  9. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (11-27-2020),CaiGuy (11-28-2020),Kc61 (11-28-2020),marcshoe (11-27-2020)

  10. #306
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,244

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    Craig Mish @CraigMish
    One of the more fascinating free agents is SP Dan Straily. Compiled 200 K in one of the most dominant KBO seasons ever. Several MLB teams in on him. Reds, Giants, Angels, among them. Will decide between pitching in the US or Korea next week. Per sources.

  11. #307
    TyrannoSuarez Wrecks WrongVerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Monterey, CA
    Posts
    15,696

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    Shine him up again, and trade him for another high upside arm?
    Gratitude + Forgiveness = Happiness

    US Covid as of 01/20/2021
    Total cases: 24,809,841
    New cases: 174,378
    Total deaths: 411,520
    New deaths: 2,802
    Vaccinations: 16.3M doses

  12. #308
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    29,132

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    Need Billy Hamilton in CF if Reds sign Straily.

  13. Likes:

    757690 (11-28-2020),mth123 (11-27-2020),Old school 1983 (11-27-2020),REDREAD (11-29-2020)

  14. #309
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    32,782

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    The smoke about trading Sonny and now bringing Straily back off the scrap heap fills me with a little bit of dread that the Reds could be getting high on their own supply with regards to their pitching genius. A big reason why the pitching improved was because of the talent in a guy like Sonny not because of Spincinnati stuff.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

  15. Likes:

    Mitri (11-28-2020),mth123 (11-28-2020),The Operator (11-29-2020),Wonderful Monds (11-28-2020)

  16. #310
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    25,710

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The smoke about trading Sonny and now bringing Straily back off the scrap heap fills me with a little bit of dread that the Reds could be getting high on their own supply with regards to their pitching genius. A big reason why the pitching improved was because of the talent in a guy like Sonny not because of Spincinnati stuff.
    I agree completely with the last part.

    But I don’t buy into the Reds shopping Gray rumors. I may be wrong, but stuff like this happens every winter. Teams spread rumors about players being avaiable, based on conversations that they started.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

  17. #311
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    My hope with the Sonny rumors is that it’s Krall playing “look at me”, and in reality he’s hoping to trade a less-shiny object.

    But it does seem like a new FA signing like Didi is off the table and he may have to get creative filling in
    SS, bench and bullpen slots.

  18. #312
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,089

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    I can't see any way this team contends without Gray and the addition of at least a solid #3 to replace Bauer. We've heard all this speculative pitching talk for years (e.g. so and so is fixable, will have a big comeback year, underperformed in some different pitching environment, is a 'potential' starter etc) and we know the result. As I see it, we now have Castillo, Gray, a possible #4 in Mahle, a nearly completely untested hopeful #5 in Antone, and a very unreliable lefthander in Miley. The others aren't even worth posting at this point. We need to add a reasonably reliable starter, not trade one.

  19. Likes:

    REDREAD (11-29-2020),Wonderful Monds (11-28-2020)

  20. #313
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    29,132

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The smoke about trading Sonny and now bringing Straily back off the scrap heap fills me with a little bit of dread that the Reds could be getting high on their own supply with regards to their pitching genius. A big reason why the pitching improved was because of the talent in a guy like Sonny not because of Spincinnati stuff.
    I agree. But it’s all dollars and cents. Reds hired these coaches in part to “fix” less expensive pitching. We saw it with all the bullpen turnaround candidates last season. This year, with COVID losses, we’re likely to see it even more.

    When Gray and Bauer were obtained, the mindset was likely “we must improve” or lose the fan base. Now, it’s likely “let’s try to stay competitive, but we’re bargain shoppers again. Rely on the coaches.”
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-28-2020 at 12:26 PM.

  21. #314
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,254

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I can't see any way this team contends without Gray and the addition of at least a solid #3 to replace Bauer. We've heard all this speculative pitching talk for years (e.g. so and so is fixable, will have a big comeback year, underperformed in some different pitching environment, is a 'potential' starter etc) and we know the result. As I see it, we now have Castillo, Gray, a possible #4 in Mahle, a nearly completely untested hopeful #5 in Antone, and a very unreliable lefthander in Miley. The others aren't even worth posting at this point. We need to add a reasonably reliable starter, not trade one.
    I suspect they can compete without Bauer, but they'll need the rest of the staff to stay healthy and take a step forward. That includes Gray.

    I do wonder how much of the Gray rumors has to do with the medicals. He was hurt last season (right mid-back strain)-- perhaps they found something that made them worry?

  22. #315
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    25,710

    Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

  23. Likes:

    savafan (11-30-2020)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator