Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I can't see any way this team contends without Gray and the addition of at least a solid #3 to replace Bauer. We've heard all this speculative pitching talk for years (e.g. so and so is fixable, will have a big comeback year, underperformed in some different pitching environment, is a 'potential' starter etc) and we know the result. As I see it, we now have Castillo, Gray, a possible #4 in Mahle, a nearly completely untested hopeful #5 in Antone, and a very unreliable lefthander in Miley. The others aren't even worth posting at this point. We need to add a reasonably reliable starter, not trade one.
    The only thing they'd contend for without Bauer and Gray is the worst record in baseball. If Gray is dealt, safe to say the Reds aren't adding anything of significance and are going to try to reduce payroll elsewhere too.

Is it too much to ask for one of my favorite teams to have a likable owner that simply wants to win and is willing to do whatever it takes?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Is it too much to ask for one of my favorite teams to have a likable owner that simply wants to win and is willing to do whatever it takes?
    To be honest, this is how the Reds got into their current situation. Cast went crazy with contracts around 2012, doing whatever it takes to win.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    To be honest, this is how the Reds got into their current situation. Cast went crazy with contracts around 2012, doing whatever it takes to win.
    Disagree. He handed out contracts to his personal favorite guys. If he was willing to do whatever it takes to win, he would’ve let Jocketty acquire a left fielder in 2013, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

5. Likes:

bm1475 (Yesterday),Coopdaddy67 (Yesterday),HokieRed (Yesterday),Tom Servo (Yesterday),WrongVerb (Yesterday)

Votto's contract was all about the return he'd get for the investment. He knew it would work out in the long run financially. It did. They'll be making money off him for eternity.

The Phillips contract was terrible the second details were released. He liked Phillips and wanted him around long term. Barry Larkin deal Part II.

I want an owner that cares about winning and doesn't allow personal feelings and other non-baseball factors to seep into baseball operations. Some owners are good at that, others aren't.

Edit: If he was willing to do whatever it takes, he'd have surrounded Votto with FA talent when he was in his prime. He didn't.
    Last edited by Coopdaddy67; Yesterday at 05:09 PM.

7. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (Yesterday)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Disagree. He handed out contracts to his personal favorite guys. If he was willing to do whatever it takes to win, he would’ve let Jocketty acquire a left fielder in 2013, for example.
    I disagree that he handed out contracts to his favorite guys. I believe he honestly thought that if order for the Reds to compete with the Cardinals they needed to lockup their key players. The players he locked up were the best on the team whose contracts were up, Votto, Phillip’s and Bailey. Cueto was coming off an injury filled season, otherwise, he likely would have gotten Bailey’s extension.

The Reds couldn’t add a LF in 2013 because of these contracts. These contracts were not smart, but I do believe that Cast thought they were, and were what was needed in order to compete long term with the Cardinals.

I disagree that he handed out contracts to his favorite guys. I believe he honestly thought that if order for the Reds to compete with the Cardinals they needed to lockup their key players. The players he locked up were the best on the team whose contracts were up, Votto, Phillip’s and Bailey. Cueto was coming off an injury filled season, otherwise, he likely would have gotten Bailey’s extension.

The Reds couldn’t add a LF in 2013 because of these contracts. These contracts were not smart, but I do believe that Cast thought they were, and were what was needed in order to compete long term with the Cardinals.
    That’s where I disagree further. I actually think any team in baseball is more than capable of paying their players the way the Reds did those handful of years. They could’ve definitely afforded to trade for a replacement once Ludwick got injured. But they didn’t, because an outside player wasn’t already one of Bob’s guys.

Or as mentioned above, they were more than capable of adding some free agents during Votto’s prime. They never even tried.

That’s what winning at all costs means to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When it comes to crow, I'd like nothing more than to eat Dick's all season long and into the postseason.

10. Likes:

bm1475 (Yesterday)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That’s where I disagree further. I actually think any team in baseball is more than capable of paying their players the way the Reds did those handful of years. They could’ve definitely afforded to trade for a replacement once Ludwick got injured. But they didn’t, because an outside player wasn’t already one of Bob’s guys.

Or as mentioned above, they were more than capable of adding some free agents during Votto’s prime. They never even tried.

That’s what winning at all costs means to me.
    I think we are both trying to read Bob Castellini’s mind, so not much to discuss. I think he thought he was doing all he could, even though it seemed like there was more he could do. But only he know’s the truth.

John Fay is retiring again. I know he only came back the last time because his wife got cancer. Hopefully, all is well there now.

13. Likes:

757690 (Today)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The smoke about trading Sonny and now bringing Straily back off the scrap heap fills me with a little bit of dread that the Reds could be getting high on their own supply with regards to their pitching genius. A big reason why the pitching improved was because of the talent in a guy like Sonny not because of Spincinnati stuff.
    Yea, this whole thing has me worried on a couple fronts.

On one hand, The Reds could be totally gearing up to cheap out and blame covid for an asset sell off.

On the other hand, they really could be starting to buy their own hype and have deluded themselves into thinking they’re somehow a reasonable facsimile of The Indians and can afford to regularly trade away their top pitching assets.

I don’t like either scenario. Hopefully it’s all just idle speculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    "[Price] said he and the GM have become “somewhat in lockstep” with how they view the best way forward for the team, including how to handle promotions and playing young players while also trying to win games."

15. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (Today)

Turn Off Ads?