Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

the hitting is pathetic I think the only one who is thinking the hitting is fine is the box score poster

2. Turn Off Ads?

2020-2021 Off-season Calendar

Oct. 24-28: The 2020 World Series champions will be crowned on one of these nights, depending on how many games prove to be necessary. The exact date is more important than it seems, because the conclusion of the World Series starts the countdown for free agency.

Five days later: See? Sometime between late October and early November, teams and players will have to make calls on exercising options; teams will have to decide whom to make qualifying offers to; and the free-agent market will open for business.

Dec. 6-10: This is when MLB's annual winter meetings were supposed to be held in Dallas, Texas at the Omni Dallas Hotel. It seems highly unlikely that MLB actually holds the meetings, at least as an in-person experience. Expect this to be canceled or reworked into a virtual event.

Feb. 27: Spring training officially begins.

April 1: And here's Opening Day 2021. All 30 clubs are slated to be in action, with 10 of the 15 games featuring divisional play.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I wonder if Spring Training will be open, and whether or not crowds will be in attendance when the games start.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Right now, April 1 seems rather appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

April 1: And here's Opening Day 2021. All 30 clubs are slated to be in action, with 10 of the 15 games featuring divisional play.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-08-2020),CarolinaRedleg (10-21-2020),Revering4Blue (10-08-2020),Shoeless Jeff (10-12-2020)

Bowman, Jankowski, Davidson, and Biddle are now off roster, having cleared waivers and been outrighted to the minors. 40 man roster is at 37. As per Reds twitter.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-14-2020 at 06:54 PM.

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-15-2020),REDREAD (10-16-2020),Ron Madden (10-14-2020),Tom Servo (10-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Bowman, Jankowski, Davidson, and Biddle are now off roster, having cleared waivers and been outrighted to the minors. 40 man roster is at 37. As per Reds twitter.
    Hooray.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I haven't looked at who needs to be protected yet, but I assume there's a few more cuts coming. Like Romano and Allaniz.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I haven't looked at who needs to be protected yet, but I assume there's a few more cuts coming. Like Romano and Allaniz.
    The list, per the Reds website:

Reiver SanMartin
    Riley O'Brien
    Mac Sceroler
    Jared Solomon
    Vladimir Gutierrez
    Dauri Moreta
    Miguel Hernandez
    Alfredo Rodriguez
    Debby Santana
    T. J. Friedl

Not really anyone I'd lose sleep over. I'm guessing O'Brien since they just traded for him. I like Sceroler, Solomon and Hernandez. I'd probably keep Friedl. Maybe Vlad, but I'm not sure. I can't imagine losing any of these guys if they aren't protected. I think I'd rather hang on to Romano over any of them.

Besides Romano and Allaniz, I have to think Robel Garcia and Tyler Thronburg are on the bubble. The Reds also will open spaces when Freddy Galvis, Trevor Bauer and Anthony Desclafani become Free Agents. Plenty of room on the roster and nobody that absolutely has to be added. I hope they fill those spots with big leaguers who can play.
    Last edited by mth123; 10-15-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The players cut yesterday were all arbitration eligible.

Reds could also non-tender others who are arb eligible.

And, as you say, one would expect a few roster cuts of players not yet arb eligible.

Plus they have three free agents who could leave.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-15-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Bobby Nightengale @nightengalejr
    Always great insight into the arbitration process by Matt. #Reds estimated to pay ~$21-30M on their arb-eligible players.

Matt Swartz @Matt_Swa
    2021 arb projections @mlbtraderumors were tricky so we show 3 methods:
    1) Model w/ actual stats from this 60-G season
    2) Extrapolates counting stats to 162-G (1 HR->2.7 HR)
    3) For non-1st-time elig, finds raise for 162-G season, & gives 37% of that raise
    https://mlbtraderumors.com/2020/10/p...-for-2021.html

How active will the #Reds be in free agency this offseason? Payroll remains the big question for all teams, but the Reds don't have a ton of flexibility if it drops from its pre-pandemic level.
    cincinnati.com

15. Likes:

REDREAD (10-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    2020-2021 Off-season Calendar

Oct. 24-28: The 2020 World Series champions will be crowned on one of these nights, depending on how many games prove to be necessary. The exact date is more important than it seems, because the conclusion of the World Series starts the countdown for free agency.

Five days later: See? Sometime between late October and early November, teams and players will have to make calls on exercising options; teams will have to decide whom to make qualifying offers to; and the free-agent market will open for business.

Dec. 6-10: This is when MLB's annual winter meetings were supposed to be held in Dallas, Texas at the Omni Dallas Hotel. It seems highly unlikely that MLB actually holds the meetings, at least as an in-person experience. Expect this to be canceled or reworked into a virtual event.

Feb. 27: Spring training officially begins.

November 20, teams must finalize forty-man rosters for Rule 5 draft. So further cuts may be made before then, with minor leaguers placed on roster for Rule 5 protection.

December 2 is the deadline for tendering contracts to, or non-tendering, arbitration players.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-16-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Rachel Luba @AgentRachelLuba
    For everyone reaching out about
    @BauerOutage’s previous comments regarding a desire to do only 1-year deals:

We are open to & will be considering ALL types of deals.

That is going to disappoint the Bauer Bros. He is SO getting his nuts punched!!!

Re: 2020-2021 Reds Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

Lance McAlister @LanceMcAlister
    Things noticed.....
    #Rays SP averaged 71 pitches per regular season start, fewest in MLB 2020.
    #Reds SP averaged 89, 2nd most in MLB to Indians (92).
    #Reds had 2nd most starts of 100+ pitches: 20.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 10-21-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Turn Off Ads?