Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

Bobby Nightengale @nightengalejr
    Tucker Barnhart is a finalist for the Gold Glove award this year. #Reds

Rawlings Baseball
    @RawlingsSports

Rawlings Gold Glove Award Finalists- NL Catcher: Tucker Barnhart, Willson Contreras, Jacob Stallings #TeamRawlings #RawlingsGoldGloveAwards

Shogo Akiyama joins Tucker Barnhart as the #Reds' Gold Glove finalists.

Rawlings Baseball @RawlingsSports

Rawlings Gold Glove Award Finalists- NL Left Field: Shogo Akiyama, Tyler O'Neill, David Peralta #TeamRawlings #RawlingsGoldGloveAwards
    Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds
    The players agree: Trevor Bauer was the best pitcher in the National League in 2020.

Congrats, Trevor!
    Gold Glove winners will be announced on Nov. 3,
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 10-22-2020 at 03:54 PM.

2. Likes:

podgejeff_ (10-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Shogo Akiyama's goal in Year 2 with the Cincinnati Reds: Become an everyday player
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...er/ar-BB1ao9fg

Reds opened up two additional forty man roster spots.

Joel Kuhnel outrighted to AAA.

Rebel Garcia taken by Mets off waivers from Reds.

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds opened up two additional forty man roster spots.

Joel Kuhnel outrighted to AAA.

Rebel Garcia taken by Mets off waivers from Reds.
    The 40-man roster is at 35 players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The 40-man roster is at 35 players.
    Yup. That includes Reds’ three free agents, Bauer, Galvis, and DeSclafani, so really 32.

It does not include Thornburg, on the 45-day DL.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-26-2020 at 05:05 PM.

maybe they can sign jankowski and payton

Kuhnel is a bit of a surprise. Just goes to show, minor league relievers aren't really great prospects. Keep 'em starting as long as possible.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

WrongVerb (10-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Kuhnel is a bit of a surprise. Just goes to show, minor league relievers aren't really great prospects. Keep 'em starting as long as possible.
    This move shows that Reds wanted Joel Kuhnel off roster. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-26-2020 at 10:15 PM.

This move shows that Reds wanted Joel Kuhnel off roster. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Well, obviously they wanted him off the roster, but mth's point stands.

Look at the Reds pen - Iggy, Garrett, Lorenzen, Stephenson, Bradley, Sims...all "failed" starters with good stuff who were converted to bullpen arms.

How many career minor league relievers rise through the minors and become effective relievers in MLB? I am sure it happens, but it doesn't seem to happen much.

14. Likes:

mth123 (10-27-2020),WrongVerb (10-27-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Thanks. I've been making this argument forever. Kuhnel likely goes on to have a career similar to Zack Weiss and Jimmy Herget.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Well, obviously they wanted him off the roster, but mth's point stands.

Look at the Reds pen - Iggy, Garrett, Lorenzen, Stephenson, Bradley, Sims...all "failed" starters with good stuff who were converted to bullpen arms.

How many career minor league relievers rise through the minors and become effective relievers in MLB? I am sure it happens, but it doesn't seem to happen much.
    Nope. The role doesn't make the pitcher. The pitcher makes the pitcher. The main factor is his ability, not whether he's initially assigned to the pen or the rotation.

Most good MLB pitchers begin as starters - it's the preferred role if he can handle it. But that's not what makes him good. What makes him good is his own superior ability.

If Kershaw had been made a reliever, he'd still be great.

if Kuhnel had been made a starter, he'd still be the same prospect he is today.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-27-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Nope. The role doesn't make the pitcher. The pitcher makes the pitcher. The main factor is his ability, not whether he's assigned to the pen or the rotation.

Most good MLB pitchers begin as starters - it's the preferred role if he can handle it. But that's not what makes him good. What makes him good is his own ability.

If Kershaw had been made a reliever, he'd still be great.

if Kuhnel had been made a starter, he's still be Kuhnel.
    I think you have it backwards. If he was good, he'd be starting. That fact he's moved to the pen has already shown that he's a lesser caliber guy or he wouldn't have been moved in the first place, and the lower the level where that transition becomes necessary, the lesser pitcher he likely is in the first place. Some dude dominating as a reliever in AA makes him a suspect. If he's really a strong candidate to get big league hitters out, he'd be starting in AA. Its not the being a reliever makes him a lesser guy, It's the fact that the organization chose to convert him before even getting a chance to fail in the big leagues in the first place. That tells us a lot about what they think of him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I think you have it backwards. If he was good, he'd be starting. That fact he's moved to the pen has already shown that he's a lesser caliber guy or he wouldn't have been moved in the first place, and the lower the level where that transition becomes necessary, the lesser pitcher he likely is in the first place. Some dude dominating as a reliever in AA makes him a suspect. If he's really a strong candidate to get big league hitters out, he'd be starting in AA. Its not the being a reliever makes him a lesser guy, It's the fact that the organization chose to convert him before even getting a chance to fail in the big leagues in the first place. That tells us a lot about what they think of him.
    Read your own earlier post. “Keep em starting as long as possible.” As if the role is the driving force.

My friend, you have it backwards.

If they kept Kuhnel starting he would be Kuhnel. You don’t change the prospect by “keeping him starting.”
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-27-2020 at 01:34 PM.

kuhnel has a chance to be the next ben hayes

Yup. That includes Reds’ three free agents, Bauer, Galvis, and DeSclafani, so really 32.

It does not include Thornburg, on the 45-day DL.
    That's the hidden story line in this to me. I've seen the 'must protect' list for this years Rule 5. Not many names that scream "protect". So it seems like Krall is creating a LOT of roster spots. What does he intend to do with them?

Edit; And still has guys like Alainz and Romano. There is a ton of room.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 10-27-2020 at 02:54 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?