Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

Re: 2020-2021 Off-Season News, Notes and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Cleveland Commodores or Cleveland Guardians IMO

Maybeeeee Cleveland Surly Union Pipefitters

- - - Updated - - -

Did people say that when they changed it from Spiders to Indians?

Indians has always been a terrible name. It’s not even a tribe.
    Don't believe they were ever the spiders. They were the lake shores first, then bluebirds (blues) and Napoleons (naps). The spiders used to be nicknamed the indians as they had a native American player, but again, that was a different club in the NL that was disbanded in 1899.

The other names in the poll are mostly awful but then I have to live with the Crew here in Columbus.
    Last edited by Bill; 12-13-2020 at 10:02 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Personally, I think this is entirely overblown. Want to get rid of Chief Wahoo? Fine, that has already been done, but what exactly is wrong with "Indians"?

Don't the Indians donate a significant amount of money to Indian-related charity organizations? I wonder if that will go away and if it does, who'll be the first to complain.

Cleveland Steamers is the obvious choice, btw.

The Cleveland Spiders were a club in the National League from 1889 to 1899. (Prior to that, they spent the 1887 and 1888 seasons in the now-defunct American Association.) In 1899, owners Frank and Stanley Robison bought controlling interest in a second club -- the bankrupt St. Louis Browns (not the same St. Louis Browns that competed in the American League and became the Baltimore Orioles in 1954), changed their name to the "Perfectos" for the 1899 season (and then the "Cardinals" for the 1900 season), and traded all of the Spiders' top talent to St. Louis -- including Cy Young, Jesse Burkett, and Bobby Wallace. The Spiders went 20-134 in 1899, and were one of four clubs contracted by the National League prior to the 1900 season.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    Personally, I think this is entirely overblown. Want to get rid of Chief Wahoo? Fine, that has already been done, but what exactly is wrong with "Indians"?

Don't the Indians donate a significant amount of money to Indian-related charity organizations? I wonder if that will go away and if it does, who'll be the first to complain.

Cleveland Steamers is the obvious choice, btw.
    The term “Indians” is based on a mistake Europeans made when the first arrived in the America’s. It is no longer considered an acceptable term when referring to Native Americans.

Now, if Cleveland used Apu as their logo, then there probably wouldn’t be a problem with the name
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I know the history, but that doesn't change the fact that "Indians" meaning is ingrained into society and dictionaries.

Also, a lot of tribes hate the term "Native American", preferring "American Indian" or their specific tribal names.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    I know the history, but that doesn't change the fact that "Indians" meaning is ingrained into society and dictionaries.

Also, a lot of tribes hate the term "Native American", preferring "American Indian" or their specific tribal names.
    Personally, I think it’s more important to focus on how people are treated than what they are called. However, if a large group of people are offended by a name, i think the best thing to do is to stop using that name. It’s not hard to stop using that term for indigenous people.

While it’s true not all indigenous people are offended being called “indians” (not all people of color were originally offended at being called all sorts of names we now would never use) enough of them are to get me to stop using the term. It doesn’t effect me at all, and it prevents a large group of people from being offended. It’s not a tough decision in my opinion.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

8. Likes:

dreghorntwo (12-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    The Cleveland Spiders were a club in the National League from 1889 to 1899. (Prior to that, they spent the 1887 and 1888 seasons in the now-defunct American Association.) In 1899, owners Frank and Stanley Robison bought controlling interest in a second club -- the bankrupt St. Louis Browns (not the same St. Louis Browns that competed in the American League and became the Baltimore Orioles in 1954), changed their name to the "Perfectos" for the 1899 season (and then the "Cardinals" for the 1900 season), and traded all of the Spiders' top talent to St. Louis -- including Cy Young, Jesse Burkett, and Bobby Wallace. The Spiders went 20-134 in 1899, and were one of four clubs contracted by the National League prior to the 1900 season.
    So, let them change it to the Spiders and move to the NL.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Cleveland Grovers

It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

11. Likes:

dreghorntwo (12-14-2020),M2 (12-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Cleveland Grovers
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

If we're proposing unusual names, I'll go with the Cleveland Vaughns.

Name:  vaughn2.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  34.7 KB

cleveland mcdowells

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    cleveland mcdowells
    Oddibe (young again) McDowell?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

16. Likes:

M2 (12-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Oddibe (young again) McDowell?
    Sudden Sam

18. Likes:

WrongVerb (12-14-2020)

fred whitfield and chuck hinton, larry brown and jose azcute, jack kraclick, john o donoghue and gary bell

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Free Agent Notes: Sugano, Teheran, Semien

The free agent market for Marcus Semien is progressing and could reach a resolution in the coming days, Passan further reports. The 30-year-old is one of the market’s more interesting evaluations. After a stellar 2019 effort that earned him a third place finish in AL MVP voting, Semien had something of a disappointing follow-up this past season. His .223/.305/.374 line matched the worst offensive output of his career. That comes with obvious shortened season caveats, though, as well as a career-low .260 BABIP that looks primed for a bit of positive regression. The Reds and Phillies are the most obvious shortstop-needy contenders, but plenty of teams could move other players (or even Semien himself) around the infield to accommodate his addition to the roster.
    I find it very doubtful he comes to Cincinnati on anything other than a pillow contract, and it's likely he won't need one of those.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

21. Likes:

REDREAD (12-14-2020)

Turn Off Ads?