Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very pessimistic about this organization

Very pessimistic about this organization

It’s record is dismal over the past 25 years. Williams just said he expects all the staff back. They set a record for poor offensive performance in the playoffs, after being a high-spending favorite who squeaked in.

The Reds can no longer be called “a good organization.” They no longer represent the upper end of playing the extraordinary game of baseball. The Reds are “Cincinnati Slow.”
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Very pessimistic about this organization

I mean it was 62 games and mostly frustrating, but normally you give a hitting coach more time than a third if a season to set out a plan and get it working. This is an organizational decision being funnelled from top to bottom. I think it’s clear adjustments on approach (mostly related to the shift, and situational hitting) need to be made, but some context on the length of time does matter.

For the record the Cubs scored once vs the fish, the twins scored twice, Brewers 2, jays 3.

It’s two games and 5 times had less than 3. It’s weird the Reds couldn’t convert 9 guys in scoring position, but it’s two games with some noise against good pitching. It does happen and did happen to other teams.

Ultimately the Reds offense has holes, an approach that needs adjustments, and was ranked low in the league, and on paper probably topped out at league average.

Adjustments and changes can be made without firing everyone knee jerk after 62 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

5. Likes:

fondfoat (10-02-2020),Ron Madden (10-02-2020),WVRedsFan (10-03-2020)

So does Zinter get more time than Turner Ward? This group already showed that they can change after just one year. It was not a positive change, but it was change. If Ward only 1 season, maybe Zinter does too, short season or not. Other teams had the same circumstances but did not perform as poorly as the Redd.
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 10-02-2020 at 08:46 PM.

Have the Reds been a good organization since Bob Howsam left?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Have the Reds been a good organization since Bob Howsam left?
    ....have they really been good since MLB got rid of the reserve clause in 1975?

10. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020),redsfanmia (10-03-2020),SomeCallMeTim (10-03-2020)

The team was better this season compared to 2019, and last offseason the front office showed a commitment to improve the roster. It’s reasonable to expect a similar effort this off season.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

To bad none of our beat writers has the guts too hammer Dick Williams with questions like how in the world you bring a guy back that has failed as being a hitting coach??? First of all, He would never made the top 10 list of names in contention for the position. He would have been first not even called back. His resume speaks Volumes and Dick Williams allowed his manger to hire him over Epper who helped Aquino!!

Alan Zinter as a MLB hitting coach:

2016: Hitting coach of the Padres. Team finished dead last in Batting average out of 30 teams (.235)
    2017: Hitting coach of the Padres. Team finished dead last in Batting average out of 30 teams (.234) Fired Sept 1st 2017
    2020: Hitting coach of the Reds. Team finished dead last in Batting average out of 30 teams (.212)

How can this front office look at us Reds fans in the eye and say he is the best there is for this team as a hitting coach??? What a joke!!

13. Likes:

Bob Sheed (10-03-2020),CarolinaRedleg (10-03-2020),GAC (10-03-2020),PERHitKing (10-07-2020),REDREAD (10-03-2020),TeamSelig (10-08-2020)

I agree. First, Moose, Castellanos, Suarez, I could go on, will not hit that poorly over 1 games and with 100 games left, they would finish better. Pitching from the starters was amazing, and the relief will get better, I hope. The one negative is the consistent Little League managing of David Bell. It drives me nuts, and it got worse with the DH. He gets all hung up on misfits and players who never will e good. Then he makes a switch and you lose a better player who just happens to bat from the wrong side. It drives me nuts. Maybe the 25 player limit will solve this, but I somehow doubt it. There is nothing close to a set lineup. Other than that, I thin the future is bright.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

15. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

David Bell (and his coaching staff) are still with this team, more than 24 hours after the worst postseason performance in baseball HISTORY. So yeah, next season is already over. Prepare for more underperformance, more .200 team batting averages, another year of being repeatedly shutout, another year of losing. David Bell is a loser. It's all he ever has been (at any level) and it's all he ever will be.

I’m optimistic about the Reds as long as ownership doesn’t cut back the payroll.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-03-2020 at 07:36 AM.

18. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-03-2020)

Welcome to Adam Dunn baseball....team version,
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’m optimistic about the Reds as long as ownership doesn’t cut back the payroll.
    This is my take. In the absence of talent, don’t cut the payroll. We need to prime the pump. And if every prospect becomes a trading chip instead of a talent stream we’re always going to be chasing our tails.

This was also the strangest season ever and I'm not ready to toss the organization out based on 60 games and two playoff turds. And under what circumstances does a team that FINALLY records a winning season and a playoff appearance become completely broken? There are holes to fill and arguably they should reflect on what they lacked to beat the Braves (perhaps a ninja could have snuck into Ian Anderson's condo and injected his right shoulder with novacane?), but I'd prefer to view this as a preview to better things on the horizon.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 10-03-2020 at 09:25 AM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

23. Likes:

CySeymour (10-03-2020),GAC (10-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    This was also the strangest season ever and I'm not ready to toss the organization out based on 60 games and two playoff turds. And under what circumstances does a team that FINALLY records a winning season and a playoff appearance become completely broken? There are holes to fill and arguably they should reflect on what they lacked to beat the Braves (perhaps a ninja could have snuck into Ian Anderson's condo and injected his right shoulder with novacane?), but I'd prefer to view this as a preview to better things on the horizon.
    My sentiments too. Forum rules prevents me from using a word that describes this entire year, let alone an abbreviated baseball season of 60 games. I just thought I'd never see the day where a Reds team, in my lifetime, would have dominate pitching and lackluster hitting. It was usually the other way around (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

25. Likes:

CySeymour (10-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I tend to agree. I said in another thread that 60 games in a normal season would be like playing the months of April and May. If this team had a record of 31-29 at the end of May, we'd all be excited about the rest of the season.

I would agree that the main issue hampering this team was the historically low BABIP. But it was returning to the mean, and would have corrected itself over the course of an entire season. These hitters didn't suddenly "forget" how to hit when they donned a Reds' uniform.

One of the greatest challenges will be to convince Bauer to re-sign, and that might be a problem as long as Votto is on the team. If Votto suddenly retires, I really think Bauer could be convinced to stay. I think there are some personality issues there and Bauer has to be exasperated at Votto's defense (or lack of).
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?