Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So which minor league team is next?

So which minor league team is next?

Unlike several clubs in the league, Williams said there would be no reductions in the Reds' pro and amateur scouting department. Some player development positions were eliminated, however, with the anticipation that the organization will drop two Minor League affiliates going into 2021.

So we know Greeneville is gone. What is the other team? Billings? Daytona? I don't think it's Dayton.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So which minor league team is next?

Quote Originally Posted by madeirawood View Post
    Unlike several clubs in the league, Williams said there would be no reductions in the Reds' pro and amateur scouting department. Some player development positions were eliminated, however, with the anticipation that the organization will drop two Minor League affiliates going into 2021.

So we know Greeneville is gone. What is the other team? Billings? Daytona? I don't think it's Dayton.
    The AZL club (which the Reds own) and Dayton are the only two minor league affiliates under contract with the Reds at the moment.

Dayton could be in line to be promoted out of the A leagues.

Billings is almost assuredly getting cut as will the entire Pioneer league. Daytona and Chattanooga were also on the initial cut list due to the age of their ballfields.

There was a rumor that Chattanooga would shut down and Bowling Green might be the new AA spot.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

5. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (10-03-2020)

I would hate to see Billings go. They have been part of the Reds family for almost my entire life, and certainly for my entire memory. Other people and things in the organization have come and gone, but the Billings Mustangs remained the one constant from my childhood.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

7. Likes:

757690 (10-04-2020),BillDoran (10-04-2020),combray (10-14-2020),Edd Roush (10-06-2020),RedsRocker (10-25-2020),Revering4Blue (10-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I would hate to see Billings go. They have been part of the Reds family for almost my entire life, and certainly for my entire memory. Other people and things in the organization have come and gone, but the Billings Mustangs remained the one constant from my childhood.
    I believe that entire league is as good as gone.

(Sadly.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I believe that entire league is as good as gone.

(Sadly.)
    Unfortunately, I think you're right.

The Billings Mustangs have been a Reds affiliate since 1974. I first heard of them when I was 9 years old, in 1979. I was reading a preseason article about the Reds, and it mentioned a minor-leaguer named Gary Redus who had hit .462 the previous season in Billings!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

10. Likes:

BillDoran (10-04-2020),redsmetz (10-08-2020),Revering4Blue (10-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Unfortunately, I think you're right.

The Billings Mustangs have been a Reds affiliate since 1974. I first heard of them when I was 9 years old, in 1979. I was reading a preseason article about the Reds, and it mentioned a minor-leaguer named Gary Redus who had hit .462 the previous season in Billings!
    My grandfather's best friend had a subscription to RedsVue. I'd go with him to hang out so I could read the guy's magazines. Gary Redus was in one of the articles there.

12. Likes:

Big Klu (10-04-2020),BillDoran (10-04-2020),Revering4Blue (10-04-2020)

Pioneer League would be a good league to turn into a summer collegiate league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Or a late summer/ early fall college prep league.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    That's what seems likely to happen. I wrote a little about it last week - https://www.redsminorleagues.com/202...ioneer-league/

Basically, though, with the Appy League being very specific with their announcement that they are a "college league for freshman and sophomores", along with some direct quotes from an owner in the Pioneer League talking about it's likely the league becomes a college league for "draft eligible juniors and seniors", I think that's been the plan for a while, but the owners in the league are still holding out hope they can remain affiliated (a fight they will no doubt lose).

Seems like MLB is pushing the draft back to All-Star week, then trying to run two different premiere college wood bat leagues in these two leagues. It's just a matter of time until it's official is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    There was a rumor that Chattanooga would shut down and Bowling Green might be the new AA spot.
    The new Reds AA pitching coach just said he was assigned to Chattanooga Lookouts. Did they survive?

Based on your comments I attempted to call the Chattanooga ballpark offices as a very long shot that I might learn something. No answers anywhere which is what I suspected.

On another note, MLB has just released the guidelines and expectations for travel regarding its minor league teams in 2021. Unfortunately, the only source I see for this information is Baseball America and I don’t have a subscription.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The new Reds AA pitching coach just said he was assigned to Chattanooga Lookouts. Did they survive?
    I have ZERO knowledge of what's going on here.... but it's certainly possible that Rob was told he was going to be the Double-A pitching coach and since he pitched for Double-A the last time they played, he said he would be the pitching coach for Chattanooga.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have ZERO knowledge of what's going on here.... but it's certainly possible that Rob was told he was going to be the Double-A pitching coach and since he pitched for Double-A the last time they played, he said he would be the pitching coach for Chattanooga.
    Roger that, He may or may not have heard something.

OK big news happenings as reported by Ballpark Digest. Still only partial info.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2020/11/0...f-milb-emerge/

Highlights - Midwest League (Dayton) becomes High A. Cal League and Florida State League become Low A.

No word on Chattanooga or Daytona's status.

Billings is getting zilch.

Turn Off Ads?