Turn Off Ads?

Thread: It was all a mirage.

It was all a mirage.

4 teams from the NL Central and 3 teams from the AL central, our scheduling pod, made the playoffs. All 7 teams have been eliminated in the first round with a combined record of 2-14.

This means to me that the Reds have to improve at least a little to win the division and have to improve a lot to do damage in the post season.

Obviously our hitting stats, all teams in both divisions, were legitimately bad and our pitching stats were at least a little bit inflated in rankings as when we played these other divisions, they seemed to be just as good.

The 2020 Covid season, rewarded teams that had duds like the Pirates, Tigers and Royals on their schedules. Doesn't seem fair now that the advantage of that schedule has been revealed. The bottom teams in the other divisions probably got ripped of with this temporary format.

Bottom line, is all 12 teams in both central divisions have a lot of work to do to catch up with the others.

2. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-03-2020),REDREAD (10-03-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It was all a mirage.

I do not put a ton of stock in the results from 3 game series as concrete evidence of how the NL Central compared to other divisions. The Dodgers are the best team in the NL, and the odds are they eliminate almost every other NL team in 2 games like they did the Brewers. The Cardinals lost a 3 game series to the NL team with the 2nd best record in the NL by a total score of 19-16. The Reds played one of the best lineups in baseball through 20+ innings with a 2 run differential while leaving scores of players on base. The Cubs played the Marlins who do not lose in the postseason.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

5. Likes:

goreds2 (10-03-2020)

I noticed this as well. The Reds played, as it turned out, a very weak schedule.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    4 teams from the NL Central and 3 teams from the AL central, our scheduling pod, made the playoffs. All 7 teams have been eliminated in the first round with a combined record of 2-14.

This means to me that the Reds have to improve at least a little to win the division and have to improve a lot to do damage in the post season.

Obviously our hitting stats, all teams in both divisions, were legitimately bad and our pitching stats were at least a little bit inflated in rankings as when we played these other divisions, they seemed to be just as good.

The 2020 Covid season, rewarded teams that had duds like the Pirates, Tigers and Royals on their schedules. Doesn't seem fair now that the advantage of that schedule has been revealed. The bottom teams in the other divisions probably got ripped of with this temporary format.

Bottom line, is all 12 teams in both central divisions have a lot of work to do to catch up with the others.
    One of these days this board will realize once again that the Central division is really not very good. It just doesn’t have a single alpha team that runs away from the pack. So it looks like more of the teams in the division aren’t bad.

It’s not just this postseason that’s proof. It’s the last 20 years. Only the Cubs and Cardinals have been dangerous in that span, and the Cubs for a much shorter amount of time.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 10-03-2020 at 08:26 AM.

9. Likes:

GAC (10-03-2020),REDREAD (10-03-2020)

Mirage in the sense of waking up the next morning and Bobby Ewing is in the shower? LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

11. Likes:

SomeCallMeTim (10-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I do not put a ton of stock in the results from 3 game series as concrete evidence of how the NL Central compared to other divisions. The Dodgers are the best team in the NL, and the odds are they eliminate almost every other NL team in 2 games like they did the Brewers. The Cardinals lost a 3 game series to the NL team with the 2nd best record in the NL by a total score of 19-16. The Reds played one of the best lineups in baseball through 20+ innings with a 2 run differential while leaving scores of players on base. The Cubs played the Marlins who do not lose in the postseason.
    Quite true, but by the fourth rationalization/excuse, arguments ring kinda hollow for me. Even my own.

All 5 NL Central teams were in the bottom 10 of MLB team batting average. And, of course, the Reds held down #30.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

Ironic that none of the AL Central teams advanced either.

Indians and Sox were competitive, but the great midwest was oh-fur...

17. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

It was all a mirage.

I called this playoff format October Madness, but I find a striking similarity between how the Central teams fared in a large playoff pool with NCAA March Madness.

Certain big name conferences get multiple teams in because the all had 18-20 wins, but their true strength (or weaknesses) is exposed when they face teams outside their conference.

Was that the case here?

19. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

I never took this season seriously but still
    No excuse when your offense makes you wish for the 1982-83 Reds. Yes I’m beating that dead horse comparison.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (10-03-2020)

I said this on 9/27 in the playoff push thread:

It would be kind of hilarious if the NL Central went 0-4.

Obviously I’m rooting hard for the Red, but that would be pretty crazy.
    I’m like a prophet
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?