Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto is a Nightmare

Re: Joey Votto is a Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    This all day. I like Joey Votto. He's going to go down as one of the Reds all-time greats. But, 2020-21 Votto ain't 2009-17 Votto. I wish it was but it's not. Feelings aside, from a baseball perspective he should be a part time DH as bat 7th. Period.
    Down in the order yes, DH no.

DH is to be used to help your hitting, not your fielding.

2. Likes:

UK Reds Fan (10-04-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

In Maxwell Atoms' seminal work Billy and Mandy Save Christmas there's a scene where an angry mob forms upon learning a mall Santa is not the real Santa, and then they burn the place to the ground. During the rioting one guy exclaims, "This is for making me believe!" Then he hurls a gift box through a display window.

This thread is that scene.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

CySeymour (10-04-2020),Ron Madden (10-04-2020),wally post (10-04-2020)

Not a nightmare, just diminished abilities as you’d expect for an aging hitter. The biggest problem is that he doesn’t even play his position very well and is not a threat on the basepaths. However, in his prime he was great to watch and the Reds have been lucky to have him. What other outstanding players have the Reds brought through their organization since he first emerged? Approximately zero.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In Maxwell Atoms' seminal work Billy and Mandy Save Christmas there's a scene where an angry mob forms upon learning a mall Santa is not the real Santa, and then they burn the place to the ground. During the rioting one guy exclaims, "This is for making me believe!" Then he hurls a gift box through a display window.

This thread is that scene.
    Or, pointing out his stupid comments and subsequent continued miserable playoff performance is valid.

It sounds like everyone on here likes poor Joey more than the team. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Down in the order yes, DH no.

DH is to be used to help your hitting, not your fielding.
    Not having to field sometimes makes great hitters who aren'tgreat anymoregreat again because fieldingis what causes the injuries that causetheir hittingto not be as great as it used to be
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

9. Likes:

mth123 (10-04-2020),Revering4Blue (10-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysland Red View Post
    Not a nightmare, just diminished abilities as you’d expect for an aging hitter. The biggest problem is that he doesn’t even play his position very well and is not a threat on the basepaths. However, in his prime he was great to watch and the Reds have been lucky to have him. What other outstanding players have the Reds brought through their organization since he first emerged? Approximately zero.
    I'll answer first. Johnny Cueto and Aroldis Chapman. That's it.

I don't blame Joey, he's what he is, old and not producing anymore.

But the Reds have a habit of putting all their eggs into one basket to keep a big name for multi years of diminishing skills without doing much to assure he's surrounded by a winning team(see Ken Griffey Jr.).

I don't care if the name would've been Mike Trout, if you're a team that identifies as small market, you have to let these guys go and depend on your farm system if you want win anything. Heck, they've doubled down on the incompetence, they've signed a guy to a huge long term contract and neglected their development system. That's just a recipe for one disaster after another. A constant plugging of one leak while another pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wire22Wire View Post
    Or, pointing out his stupid comments and subsequent continued miserable playoff performance is valid.

It sounds like everyone on here likes poor Joey more than the team. Lol.
    The comments weren't stupid, they were pretty much in line with what you'd expect a player to say heading into the playoffs. And as far as his performance, well, it was 2 games. Ten plate appearances. Nothing you can draw from 10 plate appearances.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-04-2020)

I'll answer first. Johnny Cueto and Aroldis Chapman. That's it.

I don't blame Joey, he's what he is, old and not producing anymore.

But the Reds have a habit of putting all their eggs into one basket to keep a big name for multi years of diminishing skills without doing much to assure he's surrounded by a winning team(see Ken Griffey Jr.).

I don't care if the name would've been Mike Trout, if you're a team that identifies as small market, you have to let these guys go and depend on your farm system if you want win anything. Heck, they've doubled down on the incompetence, they've signed a guy to a huge long term contract and neglected their development system. That's just a recipe for one disaster after another. A constant plugging of one leak while another pops up.
    You mean like last offseason when they aquired established MLB hitters to supplement the lineup? Or the season before aquiring Sonny Gray? They've been much better the last 2 offseasons going out and getting players. Yep, many off seasons before that they didn't do much of anything as far as going out and getting established players, that is not in question. But they've been much better the last 2 off seasons. Let's see what this one brings.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    The comments weren't stupid, they were pretty much in line with what you'd expect a player to say heading into the playoffs. And as far as his performance, well, it was 2 games. Ten plate appearances. Nothing you can draw from 10 plate appearances.
    He’s never had an extra base hit In 4 trips to the playoffs. He’s slugging .240
    Last edited by Wire22Wire; 10-04-2020 at 03:41 PM.

You mean like last offseason when they aquired established MLB hitters to supplement the lineup? Or the season before aquiring Sonny Gray? They've been much better the last 2 offseasons going out and getting players. Yep, many off seasons before that they didn't do much of anything as far as going out and getting established players, that is not in question. But they've been much better the last 2 off seasons. Let's see what this one brings.
    Yeah, great, and those players surround a #3 hitter hitting .220 and change. They plugged leaks and others popped up like I was saying. Reds pattern, spend money one time to fool the fans into thinking you're really trying for championship and then sink again If they don't sign Bauer, what good was all those other signings?

Yeah, great, and those players surround a #3 hitter hitting .220 and change. They plugged leaks and others popped up like I was saying. Reds pattern, spend money one time to fool the fans into thinking you're really trying for championship and then sink again If they don't sign Bauer, what good was all those other signings?
    So blame the players, not the front office. They were established MLB hitters. Do you really believe the front office expected them to hit 220? I mean, really? And it was 60 games. MLB is designed around 162 games, for all you know they could have normalized to their career norms. The team hasn't sniffed the playoffs since 2013, and now they got in, now you just want to complain about, what exactly?? They improved, it's a stepping stone. If they fall back next season, yes, I'll be upset and disappointed as well. But all I ask for is progress, which they made.

18. Likes:

Ed Otten (10-18-2020),Rdirtypirates (10-04-2020),Ron Madden (10-04-2020)

He’s never had an extra base hit In 4 trips to the playoffs. He’s slugging .240
    It's a grand total of 11 games. Eleven. You can't draw a conclusion from 11 games. But, you KNOW that. You're just trolling to troll.

20. Likes:

757690 (10-04-2020),Ron Madden (10-04-2020)

The present value of Votto's contract at 3% is about $82 million; how many would buy him out for that?? If the Reds could finance a 10 year 3% $80 million intrest only loan that would be $2.4 million annual interest and in 10 years the $80 million would have a present value of about $60 million.

It's a grand total of 11 games. Eleven. You can't draw a conclusion from 11 games. But, you KNOW that. You're just trolling to troll.
    Yes you can. He’s been really, really bad in the playoffs.

How is this even controversial for you? Hilarious

Yes you can. He’s been really, really bad in the playoffs.

How is this even controversial for you? Hilarious
    Like I said, you can't conclude anything from 11 games.

Turn Off Ads?