Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Theater Industry on the brink

Re: Theater Industry on the brink

Movie theaters are like coal.

Covid just hit the fast forward button on obsolescence like this.

Adapt or die.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Movie theatres will always have a place in our society, but I will not be shocked if it goes through a transition and lands in a much smaller space than it had grown to pre COVID. I could even see something like a 50% reduction in the US, and that other inventory will be moved into direct streaming, etc. Maybe there will be a positive impact....better product required out of Hollywood to get theater access....maybe the cost goes up as it becomes more of an event to attend a theater to view a movie....I have no idea how it shakes out, but I think change is here, and it will not go back to business as usual.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

4. Likes:

RiverRat13 (10-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Movie theatres will always have a place in our society, but I will not be shocked if it goes through a transition and lands in a much smaller space than it had grown to pre COVID. I could even see something like a 50% reduction in the US, and that other inventory will be moved into direct streaming, etc. Maybe there will be a positive impact....better product required out of Hollywood to get theater access....maybe the cost goes up as it becomes more of an event to attend a theater to view a movie....I have no idea how it shakes out, but I think change is here, and it will not go back to business as usual.
    Or instead of better product, more money-making product. All superheroes, all the time.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

6. Likes:

Rojo (10-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Variety---

Regal Cinemas owner Cineworld is closing all of the chain’s locations in the U.S., as well as its theaters in the U.K. in the wake of MGM and Universal’s decision to delay the release of “No Time to Die” until next year, according to Variety.

Tens of thousands of their employees will be let go, if they haven't already. There's no guarantee when or if those theaters will reopen.
    This could be the first shoe to drop. There are so many businesses just trying to stay alive right now running at limited capacity. Places are open, but they're not.....open.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    This could be the first shoe to drop. There are so many businesses just trying to stay alive right now running at limited capacity. Places are open, but they're not.....open.
    The Airlines laying-off everyone will probably be the start.

That's coming this month if the FED doesn't bail them out.

Most theaters had likely already laid off most of their employees, now they are worrying about paying their rent through the fall and winter with no blockbusters coming out.

Making movies actually worth the price of admission would be a good place to start to drum up business. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The Airlines laying-off everyone will probably be the start.

That's coming this month if the FED doesn't bail them out.
    My SIL had just enough seniority to survive the last cuts at American Airlines. I’m guessing she’ll be out of a job pretty soon here.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    Making movies actually worth the price of admission would be a good place to start to drum up business. Just a thought.
    That's a problem that they literally can't provide a solution for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Movie theaters are like coal.

Covid just hit the fast forward button on obsolescence like this.

Adapt or die.
    Where do people get absurd certainty like this? And also the business guru "adapt or die" mantra? What in the literal hell do you know about the movie theater business or post-COVID society. Just insanely stupid confidence.

14. Likes:

Rojo (10-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    I’m a “attends movies less than the Average Joe” guy.

Typically I only go to “event” movies that really are amplified by the big screen. Or indie movies that deserve a proper viewing. (The biopic of Brian Wilson for example from a few years back “Love and Mercy.”)

While not everyone is in my boat I suspect this home streaming phenomenon will push people in my direction.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Where do people get absurd certainty like this? And also the business guru "adapt or die" mantra? What in the literal hell do you know about the movie theater business or post-COVID society. Just insanely stupid confidence.
    A couple thoughts.

“Adapt or die” is real. I hate it but it’s real.

Second, it is possible the days of “we have to run to the theater to see Paul Blart” are over. (Sorry for the dated reference that’s all I got)

Your point that we (no one) knows what will happen does stand.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    A couple thoughts.

“Adapt or die” is real. I hate it but it’s real.

Second, it is possible the days of “we have to run to the theater to see Paul Blart” are over. (Sorry for the dated reference that’s all I got)

Your point that we (no one) knows what will happen does stand.
    Part of the problem is the monopolization of the industry, three companies control the vast majority of theaters. They are essentially the Wal-Mart's of the industry.

If one of those companies folds it has the potential - many years from now as it won't be overnight - to bring back smaller community theaters instead of the mega-mall like structures that we know today.

It's really all hypothetical at the moment.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-05-2020)

There's obviously a lot of original art and content being created, but the trend for movies to be comic book based, remaking/reimagining an old classic, or taking an already successful franchise and beating it into dirt has made me hate the movie industry anyway. There's almost no originality in this medium.

There's creative freedom in TV shows now, and it shows. Rather than a shoehorned remake to fit whatever social cause the writer believes, TV shows are creating new universes for us to enjoy.

I'll miss the theaters, but they were dying before COVID.

There is a report this morning that all 543 Regal movie theaters in the U.S. will be closed. This decision appears to be the result of the postponement, again, of the release of the new James Bond movie, No Time To Die." The 007 film originally was scheduled to open in April 2020, before its release date was pushed back to November. It is now scheduled to be released in April 2021, a full year after its original scheduled premiere. There is a certain sad irony in the delay of the release of a film entitled "No Time To Die," given that these delays may help cause theaters to "die."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

21. Likes:

RFS62 (10-05-2020)

Turn Off Ads?