Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Theater Industry on the brink

Re: Theater Industry on the brink

Interesting timing, as my wife and I were just walking past the theater (a Regal) two days ago and talking about how we should go see a movie again. And we would have only wanted to go to a movie where we looked online 30 minutes before start time and saw that almost all the seats were going to be empty. Not a model for long-term success for theaters. The locals who owned the theater sold out to Regal about 2 or 3 years ago. They're feeling pretty great about that decision, I suspect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

All original content now is being driven by Netflix, Amazon, and HBO/Showtime.

If I can watch a 4K picture, with Dolby Atmos sound in my own home, why do I need to be annoyed by texting teenagers and people that don’t know how to behave in theatre?

My popcorn is 0.98 per bag too..

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-05-2020),WVRed (10-05-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post

If I can watch a 4K picture, with Dolby Atmos sound in my own home, why do I need to be annoyed by texting teenagers and people that don’t know how to behave in theatre?

Yes, but you also can't pause the movie at the theater so you can go to the restroom, so....

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post

Texting teenagers and date night couples are the ones who are going to lose out.

My wife and I went on a lot of dates together at movie theaters throughout our courtship. Having a family of four going to the movies is a treat now for me but for others I can see where it sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    There is a report this morning that all 543 Regal movie theaters in the U.S. will be closed. This decision appears to be the result of the postponement, again, of the release of the new James Bond movie, No Time To Die." The 007 film originally was scheduled to open in April 2020, before its release date was pushed back to November. It is now scheduled to be released in April 2021, a full year after its original scheduled premiere. There is a certain sad irony in the delay of the release of a film entitled "No Time To Die," given that these delays may help cause theaters to "die."
    That's what my first comment in the thread said.

Maybe I’m old and out of it but there is nothing better than going to the theatre. I can escape for 2 hours when I go and watching movies at home just isn’t the same experience. I hate to hear this.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-05-2020),Chip R (10-06-2020),cumberlandreds (12-04-2020),Kinsm (10-05-2020),marcshoe (10-05-2020),redhawkfish (10-05-2020),RiverRat13 (10-06-2020),Rojo (10-08-2020),Tony Cloninger (10-07-2020),Wonderful Monds (10-05-2020)

While the current theaters may go under, as soon as society is fully back functioning (be it a year or more) there will still be a strong desire to go out and see movies at the theater. The theater by my place is always packed (pre-covid) all weekend.

So, there will still be that want and desire by the public to go out with their friends or dates for movies and dinner. The movie theater is still dramatically different from even the best tvs at home.

This isn't Blockbuster, because a home theater can't replicate the experience of a movie theater but Netflix could replicate the Blockbuster model of content.

As soon as everything opens back up, and we are free from the virus there will either be new theaters opened. Or existing theaters will re-open.

11. Likes:

mth123 (10-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    While the current theaters may go under, as soon as society is fully back functioning (be it a year or more) there will still be a strong desire to go out and see movies at the theater. The theater by my place is always packed (pre-covid) all weekend.

So, there will still be that want and desire by the public to go out with their friends or dates for movies and dinner. The movie theater is still dramatically different from even the best tvs at home.

This isn't Blockbuster, because a home theater can't replicate the experience of a movie theater but Netflix could replicate the Blockbuster model of content.

As soon as everything opens back up, and we are free from the virus there will either be new theaters opened. Or existing theaters will re-open.
    Agreed, it's the same with restaurants. We may be on the brink of seeing tens of thousands of restaurants closing, which is extremely depressing - a lot of lives thrown to the wind. But as soon as demand returns (vaccine) you'll see tens of thousands of new restaurants.

This is why I suggested major studios prop up these theaters for the next six months, perhaps in return for an additional share of their business once it's up and going. If they did, then they won't have to worry about there not being any theaters around to show the next Bond movie.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Maybe I’m old and out of it but there is nothing better than going to the theatre. I can escape for 2 hours when I go and watching movies at home just isn’t the same experience. I hate to hear this.
    Agreed some movies are better on the big screen...plus the experience of seeing your child watch a movie in a theater for the first time is magic. Being at home is convenient but it won’t provide those memories.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

14. Likes:

Chip R (10-06-2020),Tony Cloninger (10-07-2020)

My fiancee and I have gone to a few movies in the past few weeks. We saw Black Panther a couple of weeks before Chadwick Boseman died. We saw On the Basis of Sex 2 weeks ago and The Empire Strikes Back on Friday. Every time we were either the only two people in the theater or there were only a few more there. The good news was that tickets are dirt cheap. $5 a pop. I believe concessions are cheap as well. They are trying to get people back to the theater but without the big time movies there, it's not working. I think once the big time movies are released again, people will come back. But they won't be able to charge $5 to get in if they want it to make money. For at least the next few years, theaters are not going to be able to sell as many tickets as they did because of social distancing. this is going to effect everyone in the industry from the ticket takers to the actor to the producers to the studios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Should mention we got a fandango gift card for Christmas last year and haven’t used it yet. I’m wondering if we ever will.
    I'll trade you my Blockbuster gift card

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    For at least the next few years, theaters are not going to be able to sell as many tickets as they did because of social distancing.
    You think social distancing is going to last at least a few more years? Wrong thread, but I sure as hell hope you're WAY off.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    You think social distancing is going to last at least a few more years? Wrong thread, but I sure as hell hope you're WAY off.
    Yes. Are you going to be eager to go somewhere and sit next to someone you don't know who may or may not have Covid?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

19. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (10-07-2020)

Yes. Are you going to be eager to go somewhere and sit next to someone you don't know who may or may not have Covid?
    I didn’t even want to sit next to people pre Covid at theaters. People don’t mind going there or the gym
    Being sick. So Covid or not I disliked crowds. People are going to be wary about being in crowds or anyone who looks or sounds sick moving forward. Masks or not.
    I still don’t know how I was ok with going to the US Festival the entire time it was on for all the shows. Oh yeah. Teenage kicks.

Yes. I refuse to view other people as bio-weapons.
    Last edited by Rojo; 10-08-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Turn Off Ads?