Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Draft Discussion

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion

Alexis Diaz has a good arm. He's purely a relief prospect, but if he can figure out his command issues, he can make right-handed hitters look silly. But to answer your question, I'm not sure the Reds have ever drafted anyone from Puerto Rico and had it "work out". It's a very small sample size to work from though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hope Reds do self-evals of lot's of things. Drafting included. They seemed to pivot post Buckley to HS hitters and College pitchers in first 3 rounds or so. I would hope at some point they've looked at PR and figured out why everyone they selected from therw flamed out. I would have no faith in whoever has been there. I have no idea if they have replaced him/them.

PS - I would hope someone buried deep in the bowels of our analytics team is some guy/gal pouring over scouting reports from years past to figure out which scouts reports are the best.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-21-2021 at 01:31 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    good call. intriguing for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    How in the world did Al Leiter let his kid become a righty?
    Despite throwing with the wrong hand, Leiter was apparently pretty impressive today and was hitting 98.

6. Likes:

DocRed (02-24-2021)

MLB set the draft at 20 Rounds for 2021. It was the lowest amount they were allowed to under the agreement with players.

8. Likes:

DocRed (04-02-2021),Gallen5862 (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    MLB set the draft at 20 Rounds for 2021. It was the lowest amount they were allowed to under the agreement with players.
    20 makes sense to me.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

Gallen5862 (04-02-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Baseball America
    @BaseballAmerica

We now know 2021 MLB Draft bonus pool space.

Teams with the most space?

1. Pirates -- $14,394,000
    2. Tigers -- $14,253,800
    3. Rangers --$12,641,000
    4. Reds --$11,905,700
    5. Orioles --$11,829,300

buff.ly/3rMyBCB
    7:00am · 2 Apr 2021
    Interesting that the Reds have the 4th highest draft pool, but select at #17. Any chance they could go underslot and attempt to sign a strong college commit drafting them with one of the other first round selections?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

12. Likes:

DocRed (04-07-2021),Gallen5862 (04-02-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

2021 MLB Draft Stock Watch: 10 Rising Prospects In Our BA 300 Update

Article talks, among other things, about how the Reds might use their bonus pool, as well as highlighting a number of amateur prospects who are shooting up draft boards.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

DocRed (04-10-2021),marcshoe (04-10-2021),RED VAN HOT (04-09-2021)

Jackson Jobe is ranked 18th by BA. A SS and RHP with elite spin rate. Seems like a good fit either way.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Jackson Jobe is ranked 18th by BA. A SS and RHP with elite spin rate. Seems like a good fit either way.
    I saw him and noticed that the spin rate was his big selling point.

But our new draft guys seem to exclusively draft college pitchers/HS hitters near the top.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I saw him and noticed that the spin rate was his big selling point.

But our new draft guys seem to exclusively draft college pitchers/HS hitters near the top.
    Tommy Mace is rated #30. Reds have drafted him once. Might they go back to him with their compensation pick and high draft pool?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Tommy Mace is rated #30. Reds have drafted him once. Might they go back to him with their compensation pick and high draft pool?
    Makes sense to me. I'd take him again, although the development team is completely different from the last time he was drafted.

He apparently improved his spin rates and works with Driveline already, so a lot of signs point to Mace with the later first round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Interesting that the Reds have the 4th highest draft pool, but select at #17. Any chance they could go underslot and attempt to sign a strong college commit drafting them with one of the other first round selections?
    I think their larger pool is due to their having a high competitive balance pick and the extra pick for compensation for Bauer. In addition to 17 they also pick at 30 and 35 before their second round pick at 53.

https://www.mlb.com/draft/2021/order
    Last edited by klw; 04-11-2021 at 10:17 AM.

With all those picks and money this draft has a chance to be the most impactful for the Reds since 2007 when they landed Mesoraco, Frazier, and Cozart.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

21. Likes:

camisadelgolf (04-11-2021),RedTeamGo! (04-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    With all those picks and money this draft has a chance to be the most impactful for the Reds since 2007 when they landed Mesoraco, Frazier, and Cozart.
    Thankfully they got their HS catcher fix out of the way last year
    What would you say.....ya do here?

23. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-11-2021)

Turn Off Ads?