Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: 2021 Draft Discussion

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion

If I am reading this right.. The Reds took 1 HS kid?

That's weird.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If I am reading this right.. The Reds took 1 HS kid?

That's weird.
    With the cancellation of the 2020 HS/College and minor league seasons, as well as the delay in starting the 2021 season, things are REALLY weird. And the minor league contraction didn't help. Developmental baseball has radically changed since 2019.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I mean i get that. fewer levels means a shorter development arc. In fact, this may impact the college game to the degree that more kids attend at least a Juco.

But still 19 college players and one HS player is plenty weird.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

5. Likes:

malcontent (07-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I mean i get that. fewer levels means a shorter development arc. In fact, this may impact the college game to the degree that more kids attend at least a Juco.
    I expect that's exactly what it will mean. What they cut was the lower levels of the minors.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

While it appears the NBA seems to be leaning toward mitigating their reliance on college teams as a feeder for the top-tier talent with a couple of "minor leagues, it seems the opposite may be true for MLB.

The paring back of low minor teams and the higher-profile of college guys for some teams in the draft may hint at it. True, the Reds still have their Goodyear team, but gotta wonder if many of those slots won't go to Latino kids. I think you may see the Reds and others "challenging" draftees more aggressively than in the past. Part of that may be to reduce the amount of time/expense of extended development time.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-13-2021)

These clubs had the best Draft hauls by Jim Callis

Pirates are #1, Tigers are #2, and #3 is our Redlegs.

The lone club with three picks on the first day, the Reds turned their first-rounder into sweet-swinging UCLA shortstop Matt McLain, a pleasant surprise to find available at No. 17. Then they used their sandwich picks at Nos. 30 and 35 on Florida high school outfielder Jay Allen, a three-sport athlete with the potential for solid power and speed, and Florida State catcher Matheu Nelson, who tied for the NCAA D-I lead with 23 homers. Cincinnati matched the Indians for the most Draft Top 250 selections in the first 10 rounds with nine, adding Virginia left-hander Andrew Abbott (second round), North Carolina State shortstop Jose Torres (third), South Carolina right-hander Thomas Farr (fifth), North Carolina outfielder Justice Thompson (sixth), Oregon State righty Kevin Abel (seventh) and Florence-Darlington Technical JC (S.C.) righty Hunter Parks (eighth).
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

membengal (07-15-2021),nmculbreth (07-18-2021)

Good stuff, and the Pirates had the first pick overall and Tigers 3rd.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I'm intrigued by Jose Torres. Seems to be a near clone of Cozart.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm intrigued by Jose Torres. Seems to be a near clone of Cozart.
    I am, too. And getting a Cozart-like career would be great value for a 3rd round pick. Even if it were one season close to Cozart's All-Star season in 2017, it's worth the entire investment.

15. Likes:

WrongVerb (09-17-2021)

Jay Allen balling so far. 13/14 in steals in 57AB's is impressive. As is his 0.8 bb/so ratio. Also 5 HBP in that time so his free pass/SO ratio is 1.3

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=allen-000jay

17. Likes:

camisadelgolf (09-17-2021),Kc61 (09-17-2021),M2 (09-17-2021),RED VAN HOT (09-17-2021)

Turn Off Ads?