Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Draft Discussion

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion

MLB Mock by Jim Callis has us taking Bubba Chadler SS/RHP committed to Clemson to play football and baseball.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-mlb-dr...draft-coverage

2. Turn Off Ads?

At this point, I'm hoping one of the SS falls, but honestly, with as many picks in the top of the draft, I'll be fine with picking BPA (if they have one) throughout.

I would like to see at least one guy with a 55 grade hit tool though.

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-28-2021)

None of the top SS’s are going to drop. I really hope they don’t draft Bubba Chandler as a RHP. Just say no to high school pitchers in the first round. I get Hunter Greene, but this ain’t Hunter Greene.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

podgejeff_ (05-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    None of the top SS’s are going to drop. I really hope they don’t draft Bubba Chandler as a RHP. Just say no to high school pitchers in the first round. I get Hunter Greene, but this ain’t Hunter Greene.
    Bubba Chandler's scouting report reads like it's some kind of he could end up either a defensive backup SS or a #3 pitcher if everything goes right. And he's a HS. I'm just looking for more reward than that.

I'm fine on the HS pitcher route if the skills are there. I'd be just fine with Andrew Painter (or Jackson Jobe if he fell). I'd also be fine to take a chance on Jud Fabian or Gunnar Hoglaund.

8. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-28-2021)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Bubba Chandler's scouting report reads like it's some kind of he could end up either a defensive backup SS or a #3 pitcher if everything goes right. And he's a HS. I'm just looking for more reward than that.

I'm fine on the HS pitcher route if the skills are there. I'd be just fine with Andrew Painter (or Jackson Jobe if he fell). I'd also be fine to take a chance on Jud Fabian or Gunnar Hoglaund.
    And Bubba Chandler is the only QB commit to Clemson. He has major signability concerns. Pretty sure the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

10. Likes:

podgejeff_ (05-28-2021),RedTeamGo! (05-28-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I wonder if SS Matt McLain will fall to 17. Pick him, then go over slot with 30 and select OF Nick McLain, Matt's brother.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I wonder if SS Matt McLain will fall to 17. Pick him, then go over slot with 30 and select OF Nick McLain, Matt's brother.
    Seems like most of the experts have him going before 17. 17 is a crap spot to be in this draft IMO.

I like the sound of both players picked right after the Reds pick, Hoglund and Fabian, more than I do Chandler.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

14. Likes:

podgejeff_ (05-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I like the sound of both players picked right after the Reds pick, Hoglund and Fabian, more than I do Chandler.
    I think Hoglund is okay, but Fabian has major K issues, doesn't he?

Cody Morissette is a guy I really like, but he's had a relatively down season. Payton Stovall is another hitter I like.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 05-28-2021 at 02:26 PM.

I found this scouting report on Bubba Chandler. He sounds pretty good to me.
    Bubba Chandler, RHP, North Oconee

If there’s one team that likes good clay, it’s Cincinnati, and Bubba Chandler is about as malleable as they come. A sublime athlete, Chandler is a two-spot superstar and a do-it-all kind of player. He was the starting quarterback for North Oconee when they won the state title his sophomore year, but gave up football his senior year to focus on baseball. For that reason, most believe he will forego his commitment to Clemson in favor of pro ball. On the diamond, he’s a super-talented switch-hitting shortstop, though most teams fancy Chandler a starting pitcher. On the bump he’s been up to 97 on a number of occasions. He’s got a true four-pitch mix with the slider, curveball and changeup, all of which have flashed above average or better. He’s got an extremely quick arm on the mound and oozes athleticism. Most scouts believe he’s nowhere close to realizing his potential. Chandler may end up a righty sitting 95-98 with two plus secondaries as a pro. The Rockies, Mets, Angels, Nationals, Mariners, Blue Jays, and Marlins have all done a good bit of due diligence on Chandler, so don’t be surprised to see him popped prior to this pick.

17. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I think Hoglund is okay, but Fabian has major K issues, doesn't he?
    hmm yeah, that mock write up kind of understated just how much he strikes out.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Hogland’s elbow just blew up and Fabian strikes out more than you in high school.

20. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Hogland’s elbow just blew up and Fabian strikes out more than you in high school.
    Fair point about Fabian, in more ways than one, but the TJ surgery doesn't bother me that much. I just know that if the mock is how it plays out in real life that Hoglund will become a rotation mainstay for the Cardinals.

22. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-28-2021)

Fair point about Fabian, in more ways than one, but the TJ surgery doesn't bother me that much. I just know that if the mock is how it plays out in real life that Hoglund will become a rotation mainstay for the Cardinals.
    Ha touché about the Cardinals

24. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-28-2021)

That report makes me think Bubba Chandler isn’t going to last until 17. I was listening to the mlb pipeline podcast last night and Callis and Mayo basically said after first 12 picks it’s a complete crapshoot. They are having trouble reading the tea leaves.

Turn Off Ads?