Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Draft Discussion

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion

Andrew Painter -
    Andrew Painter falling into the lap of AJ Preller and the San Diego Padres just feels right. The Friars haven’t been shy about going big in the draft and grabbing the presumptive top prep arm entering the 2021 cycle certainly fits that narrative. Painter has been up to 100mph, but generally sits 93-97, though commanding the fastball has been streaky. He brings a firm, hard slider to the table in the mid-80s though that pitch will also come and go. He also features a slurvy curveball and a changeup that’s really had brilliant moments. On paper, Painter has some of the best stuff in the class, though inconsistency has pushed him down later into the first round for some teams. For a 6-foot-7 frame, Painter has remarkable body control, balance and athleticism and repeats his operation very well. He’s advanced enough to work delivery variations into his arsenal to keep hitters off balance. Painter is in play all over the board, as high as 13 to the Phillies, but we think the buck stops here. The Padres could obviously go any number of ways, but they’ve certainly been enthusiastic about high-level preps in recent years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yuck
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Who do you hope the Reds avoid in the draft.

This year is so much a crapshoot-- much moreso than most, IMO. Upside aplenty but questions too.

At 17, I'm hoping they avoid Jud Fabian (though I'd be fine with gambling on him at 35). Bubba Chandler is another guy I'm less sure about.
    If they think Chandler is a SS I would love for him to be the pick at 17. Pitcher: hard pass. I have a feeling he’s going to get popped before the reds pick, though.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Latest MLB Pipeline mock draft

17. Reds: Andrew Painter, RHP, Calvary Christian Academy (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
    The Reds could consider a number of high school players here -- from Bubba Chandler to Chase Petty on the mound to Joe Mack and Harry Ford behind the plate -- but we’ll give them the big right-hander from Florida this week.
    Mack and Ford are both on the board at this point. If that's the case, I'd expect the Reds to take one of them.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Another mock draft with some interesting selections...

17. Cincinnati Reds

Benny Montgomery, OF, Red Land

Perhaps no organization is better suited to optimize Benny Montgomery’s tools than the Cincinnati Reds. They went with Austin Hendrick in 2020 and the prospect of grabbing Montgomery in 2021 would make for an incredibly imposing future outfield. Montgomery is a double-plus runner with a double-plus arm. Defensively, he can play any outfield position. His route running has been strong, although there is room for improvement on that front. Montgomery could play a 70-grade right field and at least a “plus” centerfield. It’s at least plus raw power, some believing his twitchiness and explosively makes for a double-plus raw power tool. The question on Montgomery has been, and will likely always be, the swing. It’s hitchy at times and it has some evaluators doubting the future hit tool. But Montgomery has made it work at every stop, including against big velo and premier off-speed stuff. Sometimes, a swing just works, regardless of the aesthetic.
    30. Cincinnati Reds

Andrew Painter, RHP, Cavalry Christian

The Reds have this pick thanks to Trevor Bauer taking his talents and antics to the bright lights of Los Angeles and if I’m Kyle Boddy, I’d be pretty giddy to see that Andrew Painter is still on the board here. 6-foot-7 prep kids with Painter’s easy mechanics and robust arsenal don’t grow on trees. His stock fell after a rough start to his senior season at Calvary Christian, but he’s bounced back nicely. Painter’s mechanics are as fluid and easy as they come, and there’s certainly more room to add muscle to his frame. The fastball has been up to 98 MPH on the summer circuit, primarily sitting in the mid-90’s with good life. Both his curveball and slider are high spin offerings, with the curveball being the better of the two pitches, plus he throws a lethal change-up that could become a plus offering. He’s got good command of all four pitches to boot. This would be a fun pairing between organization and pitcher here.
    35. Cincinnati Reds

Jaden Hill, RHP, LSU

This feels like a match made in heaven for both sides. Kyle Boddy and the Cincinnati pitching development team get their hands on some of the lowest hanging fruit in the draft. It’s an opportunity to land some of the most untapped potential in the 2021 college class for an under-slot price due to Hill’s recent Tommy John Surgery. He only amassed 51 career innings at LSU and those were very streaky outings. When healthy, Hill features a mid-upper 90s fastball, a big slider, headlined by a plus changeup. If the Reds optimize Hill and his pitch design, there’s a mid-rotation arm here. At worst, he projects one of the more dynamic high-leverage relievers in the class.
    53. Cincinnati Reds
    Joe Mack, C, Williamsville East

Another prep player in their sights. Mack was a consistent force on the summer circuit last year and he's continued that this spring. He's got a simple left-handed swing with good bat-to-ball skills and some impressive pop to all fields. Behind the plate, he's got a cannon of an arm and is athletic enough to stay behind the plate long-term. There's a chance he can go higher than this, though prep catchers have a tendency to tumble a bit.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

That hitch sounds scary...
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

Mack and Ford are both on the board at this point. If that's the case, I'd expect the Reds to take one of them.
    You’re looking at the wrong mlb pipeline draft. The one you linked is from June 2nd. The one from last night has the reds selecting Bubba Chandler.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb...21-june-9.html

Apropos of nothing, I think the Reds will pick Joe Mack if he’s available.

High level future catcher, seems about the right draft range, impressive scouting report.

They’ve usually (not always) done well drafting catchers and I’m guessing that will continue this time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You’re looking at the wrong mlb pipeline draft. The one you linked is from June 2nd. The one from last night has the reds selecting Bubba Chandler.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb...21-june-9.html
    Ah. Got it. Thanks.

Keep on falling Kumar Rocker! Maybe he can have a couple more bad games before the draft. I've seen him as low as #11
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-11-2021 at 07:40 AM.

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-11-2021)

I'd do back flips with this draft. A SS would be nice, but those available after the top 4 are either "not likely to stick at SS" or offensively challenged.

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-11-2021)

This would be an absolute monster draft.

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-11-2021)

Gotta make the most of this draft with 4 of the top 53 picks. Keep in mind basically have 2 first and second round picks in a normal year thanks to Houston losing their first 2 round draft picks. We could also trade those 2 compensatory/competitive balance draft picks and get a pretty decent player IMO.
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-11-2021 at 07:47 AM.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Keep on falling Kumar Rocker!
    It's early, but Rocker is making East Carolina hitters look silly this afternoon, so I don't think you're going to get your wish there.

Watching this game, I wouldn't hate it if the Reds ended up with East Carolina's Gavin Wiliams at #35.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 06-11-2021 at 01:40 PM.

I’d actually like his ECU teammate - Connor Norby - at 35

Turn Off Ads?