Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Draft Discussion

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion

Are we going to try a RedsZone mock draft this year?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

Gallen5862 (06-12-2021),RedTeamGo! (06-11-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I (mostly) did the NFL one, so I call “not it” with regard to running the mlb one, but I would absolutely like to participate.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I'm going to be packing for a move, so I can't do it either.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I participate (eagerly) in the NFL draft but probably won't for this one. Other then 3-4 guys they are just names for me.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

CBS thinks we'll go underslot and pick up Gunnar Hoglund to an underslot deal due to his injury to spend more at 30 and 35.

CBSsports mock draft

8. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    CBS thinks we'll go underslot and pick up Gunnar Hoglund to an underslot deal due to his injury to spend more at 30 and 35.

CBSsports mock draft
    Not sure that’s the worst idea.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-13-2021)

CBSsports mock draft
    I’m very much in favor of this
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-13-2021)

My early favorite for the first round is Alex Mooney. He should still be there after the first five SS's are off the board. Good, all around athlete who should stick at the hard to fill SS position. Alternatively, a Hoglund pick to save money could free up the cash to buy Mooney out of his commitment to Duke.

CBSsports mock draft
    I'd also be OK with this, even though I usually eschew this strategy, mainly because I am always in favor of high risk/high reward types in the first round - especially when they are a consensus top 10 talent that has been derailed by (what is hopefully) a temporary injury. That said, Hoglund also didn't sign with the Pirates out of HS because of stuff that came up on his physical, and the Reds better damn sure diligence the hell out of that/his structural issues before they pull the trigger.

But if this is like a Lucas Giolito in 2012 situation, I'm all for it!
    Go BLUE!!!

It seems like this draft is filled with toolsy guys with strikeout issues and pitchers getting Tommy Johns.

Fangraphs' first mock

17. Cincinnati Reds
    Pick: Andrew Painter, RHP, Calvary Christian HS (FL)

EL: The Reds pick here and then at 30 and 35, so there are lots of possibilities. They could try to buy a top 10 talent back to this pick and then cut a deal with an older player in the comp round; they could take one of the solid college arms here and be set up to scoop up a tough signability high schooler in the comp.

KG: The Reds have made considerable investments in pitching development over the last two years, and it’s already starting to pay off. A 6-foot-7, physical arm with five offerings is a great piece of clay to throw at their PD folks.
    While Major League Baseball pushed the draft back by a month for a variety of reasons, the clubs themselves don’t see much of a benefit from the July start date. “What the f*** do we do for a month?” one executive asked, while another worried that the situation could lead to a bit of a “paralysis by analysis” situation, with magnets moving too much on the board and leading to mistakes.

I have a hard time seeing Hoglund sign for all that much under slot at 17. And you know the Cards will draft him if the Reds don't, so maybe they can save 100K at best.

That said, if he's there at 17 I'd be just fine with them grabbing him.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    My early favorite for the first round is Alex Mooney. He should still be there after the first five SS's are off the board. Good, all around athlete who should stick at the hard to fill SS position. Alternatively, a Hoglund pick to save money could free up the cash to buy Mooney out of his commitment to Duke.
    Shouldn't this be on the politics board?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

New MLB mock has Reds wanting Matt McLain, but drafting Cusick at 17.

It would be great if a guy like McLain fell to the Reds, up the middle guy who won't need much time in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    New MLB mock has Reds wanting Matt McLain, but drafting Cusick at 17.

It would be great if a guy like McLain fell to the Reds, up the middle guy who won't need much time in the minors.
    McLain seems a bit high floor low ceiling, though I'm not opposed to that draft profile type. Don't UCLA hitters often have an issue with the jump to the pros though? Or maybe I'm just thinking about Jeff Gelalich.

Cusick's BB/9 issues scare me a little but obviously the Reds would like him since they've drafted him before. I'm still on board with the Hoglund idea myself, if he's there I think that's a chance worth taking.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?