Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams resigns as Reds' President of Baseball Operations

Re: Dick Williams resigns as Reds' President of Baseball Operations

I actually didn't really have a problem with DW. I get the nepotism concerns, but there has been some positive movement on several fronts over the past couple of years, especially on the pitching and possibly analytic fronts.

But I am still looking for "Mr. Outside Hire" as a replacement. The results aren't there yet. They can start hiring out of a larger talent pool from now on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    He said his family sacrificed for him. It's like you misinterpret everything.
    It’s like the statement is clearly BS and shouldn’t be taken at face value.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Go get Theo! Even if you have to wait until next year, let Krall run it for a year
    Theo? The guy running the cubs?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I'm hearing that Gapper is in line to take over.

5. Likes:

Gapper (10-07-2020),MR X (10-07-2020),REDREAD (10-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    I actually didn't really have a problem with DW. I get the nepotism concerns, but there has been some positive movement on several fronts over the past couple of years, especially on the pitching and possibly analytic fronts.

But I am still looking for "Mr. Outside Hire" as a replacement. The results aren't there yet. They can start hiring out of a larger talent pool from now on.
    My guess is Body will spearhead that either way.

Well, there you go. I did not consider him the main problem, and think he did a number of things to modernize the organization, but there were obviously a number of misses and it wasn’t clear that he was going to be able to build the kind of sustainable organization that the Reds need.

Wonder what this means in terms of a power vacuum. Was he forced out? Is Krall the man now or is he kind of left twisting in the wind for the time being? Does this effect David Bell’s long term prospects as manager?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-07-2020),BillDoran (10-07-2020)

This is the right move. Williams was interesting as an executive but just didn't have that baseball edge. And this is still a baseball team that plays baseball sports.

10. Likes:

757690 (10-07-2020),joshua (10-07-2020)

My guess is the Reds make a hard run at Theo. He’s on the outs in Chicago and the Cast loves big names.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

12. Likes:

Benihana (10-07-2020),Wonderful Monds (10-07-2020)

If you’re a parent you understand. You buy your kid the latest greatest toy for their birthday and 2 weeks later it’s gathering dust in the corner and your kid now wants something else.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (10-08-2020),RedTeamGo! (10-07-2020)

$10 and a king sized snickers bar says Dickie starts getting into tech company venture capitalism type stuff. Either that or runs for office in Ohio and eventually becomes POTUS.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

@matthewpouliot
    Four winning records in 15 seasons... and that includes the 31-29 this year. Not a single playoff series win. The Reds were immediately better off when Williams was "promoted" from the GM seat, and this seems like progress, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Wonder what this means in terms of a power vacuum. Was he forced out? Is Krall the man now or is he kind of left twisting in the wind for the time being? Does this effect David Bell’s long term prospects as manager?
    I think they would have just gone ahead and promoted Krall if he were their man. I trust Krall to keep the general plan together until they find someone else, and hopefully they can keep him on for at least the transitional year.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-07-2020),Tom Servo (10-07-2020)

Haunted by walks

I know it’s the old “spend more time with his family” cliche, but is there any reason to believe he was pushed out? Other than something had to change after this season.

This is a significant opportunity for the Reds.

Williams did some very good things organizationally, but now’s the chance to bring in a winning GM.

I’d imagine part of this decision was that Reds spent big money this past off-season with only modest returns.

This provides a chance for Reds to take the next step.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-07-2020 at 10:07 AM.

21. Likes:

Griffey012 (10-07-2020),joshua (10-07-2020),RedTeamGo! (10-07-2020),Tom Servo (10-07-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

This is sad.

He brought the Reds into the new age of baseball. Let's hope they don't slip back into the dark ages again.

23. Likes:

BillDoran (10-07-2020),Edd Roush (10-07-2020),MikeS21 (10-07-2020),Old school 1983 (10-07-2020),Puffy (10-07-2020),RED VAN HOT (10-07-2020),RedlegJake (10-07-2020),Ron Madden (10-07-2020),SirFelixCat (10-07-2020),SunDeck (10-07-2020),wally post (10-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Theo? The guy running the cubs?
    Yes. He’s definitely leaving after next year if not sooner, as his contract is up and he’s always maintained that no executive should remain with an organization longer than 10 years. He’s brought long lost glory to two of baseball’s most storied franchise, why not go for the trifecta?

Between getting Theo for ten years vs. Bauer for one, I’d love both but if I had to choose one, I’d choose the former.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?