Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds’ Search for D. Williams’ Replacement

Re: Reds’ Search for D. Williams’ Replacement

Why does anyone need to replace Williams? They've already got a GM heading up their baseball operation.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

757690 (10-08-2020),marcshoe (10-08-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Why does anyone need to replace Williams? They've already got a GM heading up their baseball operation.
    Apparently in the new baseball world GM is now a two person job.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    This would be my #1 choice. I have been impressed with Krall, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the Reds started making smart moves when he was promoted to GM.

Promote him to President of Operations, and hire a GM to replace him there.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don’t think it’s really fair to pin the Tigers and Red Sox current situations on DD. People at a level above him chose to punt instead of trying to keep moving forward. You can argue he hit a wall that necessitated the rebuilds but it was more like the minute things went sideways those orgs chose to go in another direction and we really don’t know how Dombrowski would or could have handled that “rebuild” situation.

I’m not like a diehard fan of the guy or anything nor am I saying he’s the right guy for the Reds, but I thought winning was the name of the game and the guy has won a lot.
    And we have to remember that the future of the Tigers' farm was of no concern at the time due to the fact of the main objective: Going all in to win the World Series before Ilitch passed away.

If this franchise MUST go the retread route, which I really hope they do not, Dombrowski is a far, far, better option than the Hendrys and Bavasis of the MLB world. That said, the Anaheim gig would seem to have DD's name written all over it.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-08-2020 at 08:38 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-08-2020)

Phillies' general manager search could take more than a year

The pandemic complicates all significant hiring decisions, of course, and it could be some time until the Phillies make a final decision. There was a roughly 6-week hiring process to bring in Klentak, but his replacement could take more than a year to find, per Matt Breen of the Philadelphia Inquirer
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ar/ar-BB19H3co

I haven't seen anyone talk about the timing on this yet. I think this doesn't need to get dragged out to make sure there is continuity here, but with having Krall in his seat running things I don't think we need to be too hasty.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

10. Likes:

757690 (10-08-2020),Revering4Blue (10-08-2020),Ron Madden (10-08-2020)

I think Dombrowski definitely has his positives. It is names like Bill Bavasi, Jim Hendry, or Dan O'Dowd that scare the heck out of me.
    Just have to say this Tom, you are a hellava baseball fan and a student of the game. I know there are other like minded fans on this board also, but, and I consider myself a fan of the game, I’ve never heard of any of these three gentlemen.

12. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-08-2020)

If Neal Huntington's name is mentioned, it's time to stage an intervention.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

14. Likes:

Chip R (10-09-2020),CySeymour (10-09-2020),Revering4Blue (10-08-2020)

I don’t think it’s really fair to pin the Tigers and Red Sox current situations on DD. People at a level above him chose to punt instead of trying to keep moving forward. You can argue he hit a wall that necessitated the rebuilds but it was more like the minute things went sideways those orgs chose to go in another direction and we really don’t know how Dombrowski would or could have handled that “rebuild” situation.

I’m not like a diehard fan of the guy or anything nor am I saying he’s the right guy for the Reds, but I thought winning was the name of the game and the guy has won a lot.
    You make a lot of fair points on Dombrowski. He did build those Tigers teams. Many would point out that when Mike Ilitch was at the end of his years the budget for payroll went up dramatically. That speaks to your point regarding club edicts from on high. If the boss wants to win now then you do what the boss tells you to do. I think the Red Sox situation is another one of those. I think he’s good at his job but I don’t see a fit here. Namely because i feel like Castellini would prefer not to pay top dollar for an expensive known executive when he could just promote Krall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-09-2020),Tom Servo (10-09-2020)

He also built the Tigers teams that were great for the better part of a decade.

I think the farm matters but it’s kinda crazy to me that simply winning without a deep farm is considered almost gauche in some circles. I’ll take the wins, farm or no farm.
    It’s not that it’s gauche, it’s that contention for a bottom-15 payroll team requires a good farm. Otherwise, you burn through your crop of farmhands in trade for 2-3 seasons of semi-relevance.

Dombrowski would be fine coupled with a 21st century farm staff. But one without the other is going to result in spinning our wheels.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-09-2020)

I forgot that Dombrowski was with the Marlins as well (their first GM).

He did manage to squeeze one WS win out of that expansion team, and probably acquired a lot of the guys who won it all in 2003 as well.

I don’t see the Reds actually being the team that does it, but I would be tempted to give Luhnow his second chance. Results are what they are, and I imagine he would still be fairly successful within the confines of the rules.

Just a thought.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Luhnow’s offense was not nearly as serious in real world big picture issues, but the talk of bringing him in reminds me of people who kept asking the Reds to bring in Addison Russell the last couple offseasons.

No. I want to win and everything, but I don’t want to have to be embarrassed to be a fan of my team in the process.

22. Likes:

757690 (10-09-2020),marcshoe (10-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I don’t see the Reds actually being the team that does it, but I would be tempted to give Luhnow his second chance. Results are what they are, and I imagine he would still be fairly successful within the confines of the rules.

Just a thought.
    He's never actually stuck within the confines of the rules.

Between banging trash cans and hacking other teams, I think we know what his secret of success is.

24. Likes:

757690 (10-09-2020),REDREAD (10-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Luhnow’s offense was not nearly as serious in real world big picture issues, but the talk of bringing him in reminds me of people who kept asking the Reds to bring in Addison Russell the last couple offseasons.

No. I want to win and everything, but I don’t want to have to be embarrassed to be a fan of my team in the process.

I can understand your sentiments.

I take a lot of numbers from this season with a grain of salt, just a crazy situation. But, they’re competing deep in the playoffs again, with the team he essentially built.

He’s not going to win any personality contests, but I wouldn’t label his sins in the same atmosphere as Russell’s. Give me a jerk, over a domestic abuser.

Again, probably never happen, but a thought. And, I do understand the reservation, it’s fair.

Turn Off Ads?