Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds’ Search for D. Williams’ Replacement

Re: Reds’ Search for D. Williams’ Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by RedseatHR View Post
    Dombrowski built the Marlins twice. Once with cash in 97 and another time from the ground up. He was gone by 03 but his deals laid the foundation for that team. But that was 25 years ago. He’s a big budget GM that uses farm assets to acquire current assets. That may be a good fit for certain clubs. I don’t think the makeup of the Reds farm system lends itself to what Dombrowski does nowadays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He also built the Tigers teams that were great for the better part of a decade.

I think the farm matters but it’s kinda crazy to me that simply winning without a deep farm is considered almost gauche in some circles. I’ll take the wins, farm or no farm.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

I think the farm matters but it’s kinda crazy to me that simply winning without a deep farm is considered almost gauche in some circles. I’ll take the wins, farm or no farm.
    I agree in a vacuum, but I think where the sentiment is relevant in Cincy is he won't have the same kind of blank checks to add players without giving up talent that he had in Boston, Detroit and Miami. When you're running a small market club, having a continuous prospect pipeline isn't a luxury, its mandatory for multiyear contention.

That said, I want a winner now. It's why I struggle with how I feel about Dombrowski as the choice.

This is also the same logic for why I think Theo would be so good here - the monster free agent contracts have been his Achillies' heel for the most part. Take away the Heyward and Crawford type contracts, and he's been very, very good.
    Last edited by Benihana; 10-07-2020 at 11:10 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

4. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-07-2020)

A name I'd kind of like to see in the mix is Josh Byrnes. He has the experience of twice being GM, with pretty good results in Arizona and mostly not so good ones in San Diego (ironically due in large part to the Reds Latos trade guys not doing much in Padres uniforms) but he's still relatively young and has been a senior guy with Andrew Friedman in the Dodgers front office for several years now.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (10-08-2020),Revering4Blue (10-08-2020),wally post (10-08-2020)

I think it might depend on who they are trying to hire: A replacement for Williams or a replacement for Krall with Krall moving up to the position Williams vacated. Lots of good names here. I saw Kim Ng's name mentioned. I would think that she would be in line for the lower level job. Mike Hill is an interesting name. I've always liked him and he's from here. But I think he's interviewed here before and wasn't hired. I don't know how I feel about someone like Dombrowski. He's built a few teams in the past but I wonder if he's going to be someone like Walt. A good 20th century GM/VP but maybe not so much for the 21st century.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

8. Likes:

JaxRed (10-09-2020),Ron Madden (10-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

Dombrowski will win in the short term. We'll have a window based on how much he can get from our farm, which isn't so hot right now.

And then he'll leave us with a bad major league roster and a broken farm system with a long rebuild ahead. He did it with the Tigers, who are still trying to climb out of the cellar. The Red Sox look to be starting a good long rebuild with a .400 winning percentage this year and a farm currently worse than ours.

The Rays, since they've installed Andrew Friedman and his line of executives, have had winning seasons 9 of the last 13 years. With less resources than we have. In the AL East.

I'd rather have sustained success and avoid any more 5+ year rebuilds from scratch.

10. Likes:

CySeymour (10-08-2020),dreghorntwo (10-08-2020),Edd Roush (10-08-2020),RedsFanInMS (10-08-2020),RedsManRick (10-08-2020),Revering4Blue (10-08-2020),RiverRat13 (10-09-2020),Ron Madden (10-08-2020),The Operator (10-08-2020),Tuff Nut (10-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Dombrowski will win in the short term. We'll have a window based on how much he can get from our farm, which isn't so hot right now.

And then he'll leave us with a bad major league roster and a broken farm system with a long rebuild ahead. He did it with the Tigers, who are still trying to climb out of the cellar. The Red Sox look to be starting a good long rebuild with a .400 winning percentage this year and a farm currently worse than ours.

The Rays, since they've installed Andrew Friedman and his line of executives, have had winning seasons 9 of the last 13 years. With less resources than we have. In the AL East.

I'd rather have sustained success and avoid any more 5+ year rebuilds from scratch.
    I don’t think it’s really fair to pin the Tigers and Red Sox current situations on DD. People at a level above him chose to punt instead of trying to keep moving forward. You can argue he hit a wall that necessitated the rebuilds but it was more like the minute things went sideways those orgs chose to go in another direction and we really don’t know how Dombrowski would or could have handled that “rebuild” situation.

I’m not like a diehard fan of the guy or anything nor am I saying he’s the right guy for the Reds, but I thought winning was the name of the game and the guy has won a lot.

12. Likes:

M2 (10-08-2020)

The Reds just spent the last 4 years modernizing their organization, moving far away from the “old school” mentality. This involved hiring an nearly entire new staff throughout the entire organization.

They aren’t going to hire an old school GM now. That would require hiring another all new staff, and destroying everything they just built.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

Chip R (10-08-2020),RedlegJ (10-08-2020)

I'm hoping that they look at a guy like Matt Arnold. He's currently Asst GM with the Brewers, has worked with the Reds in the past as well as 6 years in the Rays organization where he helped oversee some pretty good teams including their farm system. He's only 40, and would be a nice tandem with Krall to form a nice breath of fresh air into a franchise that has gone stale!!

16. Likes:

corkedbat (10-11-2020),Revering4Blue (10-08-2020),wally post (10-08-2020)

Don't overthink this. Target somebody from the Rays.

The organization with a perpetual top 5 farm club, who gave the Dodgers their GM when they decided to take baseball by storm, who take on the Red Sox and Yankees head on with remarkable success on a shoestring budget.

Or just keep Krall, who just happened to be promoted right as the Reds started changing things wholesale two years ago, and keep the current thing going.
    100% agree. You need scouting and player development guys and clearly they exist. You have teams like the Rays - track record listed above or the Dodgers, who despite their ability to carry a big payroll have been drafting guys like Buehler, May, Lux, and Bellinger well after we draft our dreck. Even the guys who run the Indians might be interesting. They seem to consistently develop pitching and they are bold. In the middle of playoff races and they move on from Bauer and Clevenger and get better long term. This really is not difficult.

Also unless we are going to carry a $250 million dollar payroll, I don't want Theo Epstein.

18. Likes:

podgejeff_ (10-08-2020),Revering4Blue (10-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    It might sound crazy, but I think I'd be at least intrigued if Jeff Luhnow was mentioned as a replacement.
    I imagine he's persona non grata across baseball now, but I can't imagine being more disappointed than bringing in Lunhow. Despise that dude, and, frankly, would rather roll the dice with somebody less proven than win with him.

20. Likes:

757690 (10-08-2020),The Operator (10-08-2020),Tom Servo (10-08-2020)

Reds ownership is used to working closely with the Head of Baseball Ops. William’s family relationship had a role in this, but in any event Castellini seems to be “hands on” as Reds make major baseball decisions.

Ownership likely wouldn’t want to give this up. They won’t want somebody who wants absolute control - with ownership only minimally (if at all) involved in team decisions beyond overall budget.

Don’t expect a Dombrowski who may want too much independent control. I expect someone amenable to the current type of cooperative decision making.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-08-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Don't overthink this. Target somebody from the Rays.

The organization with a perpetual top 5 farm club, who gave the Dodgers their GM when they decided to take baseball by storm, who take on the Red Sox and Yankees head on with remarkable success on a shoestring budget.

Or just keep Krall, who just happened to be promoted right as the Reds started changing things wholesale two years ago, and keep the current thing going.
    Agreed, sometimes the simple solution is the best one.

23. Likes:

podgejeff_ (10-08-2020)

Not a fan of Dom...like others have posted, he blows up the farm, and has left the Tigers and BSox, with a bare cupboard.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Yeah I’m good on bringing anyone in whose approach would lead to this team needing to go through another 5 year scorched earth rebuilding process again.

26. Likes:

M2 (10-08-2020),podgejeff_ (10-08-2020),Revering4Blue (10-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I imagine he's persona non grata across baseball now, but I can't imagine being more disappointed than bringing in Lunhow. Despise that dude, and, frankly, would rather roll the dice with somebody less proven than win with him.
    I've heard different. I've heard his name associated with the DET job.It may be nothing. It may be he's putting his name out there himself through sympathetic beat writers. But this whole minor league contraction and restructure was his idea. So that makes me think that he's still well thought of with the MLB hierarchy. That may not mean anything but they certainly wouldn't stand in thew way of a club hiring him.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?