Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds’ Search for D. Williams’ Replacement

Re: Reds’ Search for D. Williams’ Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Really like Billy Owens from what I've read. Apparently his background is more on the scouting side than the administrative side but he's been assistant GM in Oakland for the last two years and they're obviously pretty well run.

My fear is that Bob reaches into his rolodex and starts picking out names from 10 or 15 years ago.
    Out of the list in Nightengale’s article, Owens was the one that stood out to me.

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-07-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I've won 10 straight World Series championships in The Show.

Just putting that out there...

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (10-07-2020),CarolinaRedleg (10-09-2020),Larkin Fan (10-07-2020),mgbrown66 (10-07-2020),RedsManRick (10-07-2020),Revering4Blue (10-09-2020),savafan (10-08-2020),Spider Tre (10-08-2020),Tom Servo (10-07-2020)

Re: Reds’ Search for Dick Williams’ Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I’m hoping for someone with a first name we can continue making hilariously immature jokes about.

So its true, dick pulled out?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

7. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (10-09-2020),goldglover9 (10-08-2020)

Reds could do one of three things...

A) Do nothing, let the job title be absorbed by others and go full steam ahead on continuing to aim for .500
    B) Hire a true organization builder, someone who will be given the cash and time to rebuild the minors and the MLB club.
    C) Hire a name from 20 years ago, claim the losing stops now, continue to need luck to reach .500.

My guess is they do C.
    Go Gators!

9. Likes:

REDREAD (10-08-2020)

Tracy Jones, he has always bragged over the years on WLW he’d be a good one...just kidding...but you know, why not!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    ...does not compute.
    I'm not nearly as destroyed by this season as some on this site. I remember how bad things were 2014-2019. I remember Scott Feldman as our ace.

I can see that things are getting better. I like that we're starting to look like another Cleveland when it comes to pitching.

And I'm starting to wonder how much Nick Krall has to do with that.

12. Likes:

Falls City Beer (10-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Reds could do one of three things...

A) Do nothing, let the job title be absorbed by others and go full steam ahead on continuing to aim for .500
    B) Hire a true organization builder, someone who will be given the cash and time to rebuild the minors and the MLB club.
    C) Hire a name from 20 years ago, claim the losing stops now, continue to need luck to reach .500.

My guess is they do C.
    A) I don't think .500 was where anyone was aiming for this season.
    B) Cash will not be given from ownership, and time will not be given by the fans. God I can hear it already "We've been a loser for 30 years when will it stop?"
    C) My greatest fear in all of this.

Peter Bendix. He is the Rays VP of Baseball Development. He's been with the Rays since 2009 so he knows how to draft and develop talent. He also is an Ohio boy, as he grew up outside Cleveland. Make it happen Reds.

15. Likes:

goldglover9 (10-08-2020),JaxRed (10-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rantly View Post
    Tracy Jones, he has always bragged over the years on WLW he’d be a good one...just kidding...but you know, why not!
    Marty and Thom Brennaman don't have anything to do these days.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

Chip R (10-08-2020),REDREAD (10-08-2020)

Really like Billy Owens from what I've read. Apparently his background is more on the scouting side than the administrative side but he's been assistant GM in Oakland for the last two years and they're obviously pretty well run.

My fear is that Bob reaches into his rolodex and starts picking out names from 10 or 15 years ago.
    Dave Dombrowski is free... (seriously, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised...)
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Dave Dombrowski is free... (seriously, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised...)
    I think Dombrowski definitely has his positives. It is names like Bill Bavasi, Jim Hendry, or Dan O'Dowd that scare the heck out of me.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I think Dombrowski definitely has his positives.
    Until he runs out of prospects....

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-07-2020),RedsManRick (10-07-2020),Revering4Blue (10-07-2020),Ron Madden (10-07-2020),Tom Servo (10-07-2020),Tuff Nut (10-08-2020)

I think Dombrowski definitely has his positives. It is names like Bill Bavasi, Jim Hendry, or Dan O'Dowd that scare the heck out of me.
    Dombrowski built the Marlins twice. Once with cash in 97 and another time from the ground up. He was gone by 03 but his deals laid the foundation for that team. But that was 25 years ago. He’s a big budget GM that uses farm assets to acquire current assets. That may be a good fit for certain clubs. I don’t think the makeup of the Reds farm system lends itself to what Dombrowski does nowadays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-07-2020),Ron Madden (10-07-2020),Tuff Nut (10-08-2020)

Cashman might be available by this time tomorrow.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Theo. It seems like wishful thinking but, like Girardi two years ago, the timing (and opportunity) could line up.

If we can't have Theo, who would be my first choice, I'd be happy with Billy Owens, Matt Silverman, or really any of the Rays' or A's top guys. I'd also be curious if we could pluck a top deputy from the Astros or Indians. It might sound crazy, but I think I'd be at least intrigued if Jeff Luhnow was mentioned as a replacement.

I fully expect Dave Dombrowski and Mike Hill to be in the mix. I haven't decided how I feel about either yet- they both have legitimate pros and cons. Hard pass on Cashman if he becomes available.
    Go BLUE!!!

26. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (10-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?