Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds’ Search for D. Williams’ Replacement

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Reds’ Search for D. Williams’ Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    I can understand your sentiments.

I take a lot of numbers from this season with a grain of salt, just a crazy situation. But, they’re competing deep in the playoffs again, with the team he essentially built.

He’s not going to win any personality contests, but I wouldn’t label his sins in the same atmosphere as Russell’s. Give me a jerk, over a domestic abuser.

Again, probably never happen, but a thought. And, I do understand the reservation, it’s fair.
    That’s what I was getting at, while what he did wasn’t in the ballpark of domestic abuse, in the world of baseball he defaced the integrity of the sport just about as badly as you can without outright throwing games. I don’t want him in charge of this team.

And aside from that, he did build a pretty misogynistic culture in the front office of the Astros as well. I don’t want a Reds FO executive to rub it in a female journalist’s face that our team acquired an actual domestic abuser or anything like that either.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (10-12-2020),The Operator (10-10-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

When hiring someone, you're going to have to live with their philosophy. If you hire someone from Tampa or Miami or Oakland or another analytic minded club, you have to expect they go into analytics whole hog. If that does happen, I think a lot of Reds fans will be disappointed. Especially if it isn't successful immediately.

Re: Luhnow. I would rather not see the Reds hire him. But what about one of his disciples? They didn't get to where they were just by cheating. Perhaps there are people in the organization that were against the cheating. Would it be a good idea to hire them or are they tainted just by working under Luhnow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    When hiring someone, you're going to have to live with their philosophy. If you hire someone from Tampa or Miami or Oakland or another analytic minded club, you have to expect they go into analytics whole hog. If that does happen, I think a lot of Reds fans will be disappointed. Especially if it isn't successful immediately.

Re: Luhnow. I would rather not see the Reds hire him. But what about one of his disciples? They didn't get to where they were just by cheating. Perhaps there are people in the organization that were against the cheating. Would it be a good idea to hire them or are they tainted just by working under Luhnow?
    Absolutely correct. This has been the issue most fans have had with Williams. It's easier to blame it on nepotism, but the truth is that Williams was certainly taking the organization in the right direction. But it was taking too long.

I am not against hiring a baseball operations guy from Oakland, Miami, or Tampa - in fact, I prefer it. But none of those teams have made a World Series appearance in the last decade.

I caution Reds fans to be patient, because a new guy may mean five or six more seasons without a World Series appearance.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

The main attribute for a good GM is not his mastery of advanced stats. He’ll have others to provide that information in a user-friendly way.

The main attribute is good judgment in building a team. Mostly, understanding the value (or lack of value) of player assets. And using that value assessment to make the right moves.

Williams had an understanding of value, he made some savvy deals. When rebuilding, though, Reds’ timing was off for some moves, probably dictated by finances in some cases.

Reds will never be able to afford expensive mistakes. They need someone who can consider the analytics, the scouting reports, the dollars involved, the intangibles, and find opportunities to build a winner.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-09-2020 at 03:26 PM.

7. Likes:

757690 (10-09-2020),REDREAD (10-12-2020),Revering4Blue (10-09-2020)

I'd pay Erik Neander from Tampa big money to come to Cincinnati. Or (if he wants a challenge) Matt Silverman.

Like make him the most expensive executive in the game.

9. Likes:

podgejeff_ (10-09-2020),Revering4Blue (10-09-2020),Tom Servo (10-09-2020),wally post (10-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Absolutely correct. This has been the issue most fans have had with Williams. It's easier to blame it on nepotism, but the truth is that Williams was certainly taking the organization in the right direction. But it was taking too long.

I am not against hiring a baseball operations guy from Oakland, Miami, or Tampa - in fact, I prefer it. But none of those teams have made a World Series appearance in the last decade.

I caution Reds fans to be patient, because a new guy may mean five or six more seasons without a World Series appearance.
    You know what else those clubs have in common? They're in the bottom 5 of MLB payrolls.

You see what Andrew Friedman did when he moved from the Rays to the Dodgers. We don't have Dodgers money but we're not broke either.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-09-2020),Ron Madden (10-09-2020),The Operator (10-10-2020),Tony Cloninger (10-09-2020)

My prediction, Krall is promoted and Barry Larkin made GM. That's a very "reds" thing to do.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (10-10-2020),goreds2 (10-10-2020),Revering4Blue (10-10-2020),The Operator (10-10-2020),WrongVerb (10-09-2020)

Lmao Williams is now saying he resigned because people were too mean on social media.

Hahahahahahahaha
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 10-10-2020 at 09:12 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

REDREAD (10-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My prediction, Krall is promoted and Barry Larkin made GM. That's a very "reds" thing to do.
    I actually wouldn't have a problem with it. Not my first choice, but much better than other options that have been mentioned.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lmao Williams is now saying he resigned because of people were to mean on social media.

Hahahahahahahaha
    Here is the link to the article. That definitely is implied, but he never says it outright, only Fay says it at the end.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ng/5953983002/

RedsXtra: Social media had a lot to do with Dick Williams' leaving

“I’ve been doing this now for a while. I don’t know if it’s just me, but there is a lot more negativity out there than there ever used to be. In this seat, it’s my job to wear it every day. The talk show hosts, the tweets, the negative articles, whatever is out there, I can tell you, I feel like it’s my job to soak all that up.

The postseason, of course, was not very enjoyable for the Reds. My guess is Williams would have stepped down no matter the outcome.

But I have to think that social media had a lot to do with his decision. And that’s too bad because he seemed to have the team on the right path.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I actually wouldn't have a problem with it. Not my first choice, but much better than other options that have been mentioned.
    When Larkin retired, he talked about wanting to get into a front office position more than a Manager role. This would be ready made for him and would keep with the Reds pattern of going with some one familiar over finding the best guy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

757690 (10-10-2020),Revering4Blue (10-10-2020)

Lmao Williams is now saying he resigned because of people were to mean on social media.

Hahahahahahahaha
    Pathetic

21. Likes:

REDREAD (10-12-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Hahahahahahahaha
    That is not what was said.

It's a terrible article by Fay. One that I can't believe he wrote. One that I can't believe his editor hit publish on.

23. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-11-2020),Ron Madden (10-10-2020)

Hahahahahahahaha
    Why is it funny?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

It's really not hard. They need someone who can find the right personnel to get through to the batters to swing the bat and actually hit the ball.

Turn Off Ads?