Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds’ Search for D. Williams’ Replacement

Re: Reds’ Search for D. Williams’ Replacement

I don't want to get into the pissing match, but if I was independently wealthy like Williams surely is, I wouldn't take or stay in any job with even a hint of negativity. Life's too short. I have no idea, but maybe he just figured out that this isn't really what he wants to do. Many people experience that in life but few have the means to just walk away. I'm in a career that I've been in for 40 years and it's actually been pretty good to me, but if I had the freedom to do so, I would have walked away before I was 5 years in.

I wasn't a fan of the Reds approach that put Williams in charge in the first place, and I hope there is a real search this time, but he actually did a much better job than I expected. If he doesn't enjoy it for whatever reason, moving on is the smart decision. .
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-11-2020),texasdave (10-11-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Yeah, that proves my point. That was a disaster. I guess I should have said no GM whines about the media and it turns out well.
    Both Theo Epstein and Brian Cashman have "whined" about both their own media and social media and it been a relative non-story in the past year. So has Joe Maddon, as a manager. (Though that may be over a year old now, IIRC.)

The list of executives who've complained about media is far longer than the list who haven't, and I'm shocked you haven't seen the comments. They're a staple of Spring Training and Winter League features.

EDIT TO ADD:

This may be an East Coast/ Midwest occurrence. In searching for stories, there are only a few on the West Coast (led by Anaheim's former GM Billy Eppler). The East Coast had multiple features/ stories on the difficulties of the modern GM from Brodie Van Wagenen, Cashman, Epstein (about Cashman, NY media, and the pressure in Boston), and others.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 10-11-2020 at 02:29 PM.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-11-2020),Ron Madden (10-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Both Theo Epstein and Brian Cashman have "whined" about both their own media and social media and it been a relative non-story in the past year. So has Joe Maddon, as a manager. (Though that may be over a year old now, IIRC.)

The list of executives who've complained about media is far longer than the list who haven't, and I'm shocked you haven't seen the comments. They're a staple of Spring Training and Winter League features.

EDIT TO ADD:

This may be an East Coast/ Midwest occurrence. In searching for stories, there are only a few on the West Coast (led by Anaheim's former GM Billy Eppler). The East Coast had multiple features/ stories on the difficulties of the modern GM from Brodie Van Wagenen, Cashman, Epstein (about Cashman, NY media, and the pressure in Boston), and others.
    I googled all those names and couldn’t find a single story.

Please provide links. Thanks
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

For those who haven't read the article here's the entire quote from Dick Williams it was all said between the end of the regular season and the beginning of the playoffs.
    After Williams quote John Fay does nothing more than speculate.

“I’ve been doing this now for a while. I don’t know if it’s just me, but there is a lot more negativity out there than there ever used to be. In this seat, it’s my job to wear it every day. The talk show hosts, the tweets, the negative articles, whatever is out there, I can tell you, I feel like it’s my job to soak all that up.

“This feels as appropriate of a time as any to thank my wife and kids for being there for me and keeping me positive. It’s not a lot of fun to soak up all that negative energy. I get frustrated when the team doesn’t win. I get bummed out. But when I see all the anger and the hate out there and try to make it go away for the people that believe in us, that’s just part of the job. "

“It’s tough, but I love it. I do it because I’m honored to have the chance. I really appreciate you guys have been very fair with us and hung in there with us. I have a great relationship communicating with you guys over the last few years as we try to explain to the fans what we were trying to do. Sorry to get a little emotional. A lot of things bubbling through my head right now, but yeah, it’s pretty fun to sit back and enjoy this postseason.”

The postseason, of course, was not very enjoyable for the Reds. My guess is Williams would have stepped down no matter the outcome.

But I have to think that social media had a lot to do with his decision. And that’s too bad because he seemed to have the team on the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Man the guy resigns, which is exactly what people wanted, and now he gets flack for what may or may not have caused him to resign.

I am beyond ready to move on from any and all Dick Williams discussion.
    If the door hits him on the rear hard enough, maybe that gives ownership enough pause not to hire another owner’s kid.

Social media ftw
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 10-11-2020 at 03:34 PM.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (10-12-2020)

Buckley's kid has worked in the front office. Same with Jocketty's kid. Maybe we'll see one of them. lol

I have a friend and also have a close family member in baseball and one thing that really stood out to me recently was that they aren’t fans anymore, It’s a job to both of them and one in particular stated to me in the last few days that he missed just being a fan of baseball. I imagine if you could do a job that didn’t result in you being hated and ridiculed constantly in your home town and could go back to being a fan it might be very appealing. At least one of them couldn’t find a job making near as much so he is stuck forever. Don’t get me wrong...he doesn’t want to quit but it isn’t because he loves it like a kid or fan. It’s because it’s a good paying job. Offer him the same pay and stay at home and I guarantee he stays home. Not even a close decision. I imagine DW realized that also but has options.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-11-2020),WrongVerb (10-11-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Buckley's kid has worked in the front office. Same with Jocketty's kid. Maybe we'll see one of them. lol
    I don't think that being a scout qualifies as working in the front office.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I have a friend and also have a close family member in baseball and one thing that really stood out to me recently was that they aren’t fans anymore, It’s a job to both of them and one in particular stated to me in the last few days that he missed just being a fan of baseball. I imagine if you could do a job that didn’t result in you being hated and ridiculed constantly in your home town and could go back to being a fan it might be very appealing. At least one of them couldn’t find a job making near as much so he is stuck forever. Don’t get me wrong...he doesn’t want to quit but it isn’t because he loves it like a kid or fan. It’s because it’s a good paying job. Offer him the same pay and stay at home and I guarantee he stays home. Not even a close decision. I imagine DW realized that also but has options.
    100% honesty here: If we weren't in a pandemic and I didn't have health problems that made it unsafe for me to be around people, I'd absolutely, without question be working a job not writing about baseball next year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    100% honesty here: If we weren't in a pandemic and I didn't have health problems that made it unsafe for me to be around people, I'd absolutely, without question be working a job not writing about baseball next year.
    Because you're done with baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    1st and 3rd no out twice

bases loaded one out once

zero runs,, unassailable data

That’s not a GM issue. That’s players not performing. GM can’t make players perform better in these situations.
    The Yankees had the same issue during the TB series.

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Because you're done with baseball?
    I hope I'm never done with baseball. I love this stupid game.

But I'm pretty fed up with a lot of the job of baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I hope I'm never done with baseball. I love this stupid game.

But I'm pretty fed up with a lot of the job of baseball.
    Well I'd be disappointed. I enjoy your writing.

20. Likes:

757690 (10-11-2020),marcshoe (10-11-2020),Revering4Blue (10-14-2020),WrongVerb (10-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If the door hits him on the rear hard enough, maybe that gives ownership enough pause not to hire another owner’s kid.

Social media ftw
    1. Can't believe anyone seriously thinks this was Dick's independent decision.
    2. Find it humorous that folks are comparing their job with running a major league baseball team. Who in their right mind would give up running the Reds so they can become an investment banker or sell insurance?
    3. So after being told for years that our posts are meaningless, it now turns out that Dick left because some of us here were mean to him? Far out! So therefore- hey Bob, you seems like a nice guy but enough is enough. Time to sell buddy. time to spend more time with the family.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (10-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Tell your friend to give me a call- we'll trade- he can be a fan which i will give up and i will take his job "in baseball". Having to go through what we went through in the post season does not make being a fan much fun.
    In any event, I suspect there is a big difference between having a job "in baseball" and actually running the Cincinnati Reds. Can't imagine a rational person would voluntarily give up the latter.

Turn Off Ads?