Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds Instructional League info

Reds Instructional League info

Per Shelton

#reds instructional league workouts began last Friday and they will have an instrasquad game Saturday. A 20-game schedule begins Monday. Among prospects there are Hendrick, Hinds, Callahan, Siani.

----------------------------

I assume news will be almost non-existent.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

BillDoran (10-12-2020),DocRed (12-27-2020),Edd Roush (10-11-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Instructional League info

Love to see some of these game televised and scouts sent from fangraphs and other sites.

The numbers will be next to useless, of course, but the tools discussions can be fun, if nothing else.

For example, I'd be extremely interested in seeing Hendrick's K rate. (And Hind's. And Callihan's.)

I'd also love to see all the players who are there.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-11-2020),JaxRed (10-10-2020)

Doug has a roster of guys, and a writeup.

https://www.redsminorleagues.com/202...league-roster/
    Last edited by JaxRed; 10-11-2020 at 12:44 AM.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (10-12-2020)

This should be fun. Hope some reports leak out (or there's actual reporting).

Given the range in experience, probably shouldn't expect too much from the young guys, but really excited to see Hendrick, Wainwright, Minier and Triana. It ain't a full minor league season, but it's something!

10. Likes:

BillDoran (10-28-2020),camisadelgolf (10-28-2020),podgejeff_ (10-30-2020),RED VAN HOT (10-28-2020)

Kyle Boddy
    @drivelinebases
    Replying to
    @RedsFan_Brandon

None of the arms in instructional league are close to the show like Tejay was unfortunately, so it'll be a slow cook process or you have to be one of the fans of the lower minor leagues, but Bryce Bonnin, Braxton Roxby, and Carson Spiers are three names to watch for sure.
    3:34 PM · Nov 2, 2020·Twitter Web App

OnBaseMachine @RedsFan_Brandon
    Replying to @drivelinebases

Thanks for the response. All three were impressive in the videos you tweeted.

Also pleased by the things I’ve read on Luis Mey this week.

Kyle Boddy @drivelinebases
    Luis will definitely be someone to watch over the next few years. Eduardo Salazar as well, though he's of course more advanced in levels/years. Has made big strides in camp.

@RedsFan_Brandon
    How did tejay advance so well? Did he just work harder or just raw talent or what? He was freaking crazy this season

Kyle Boddy @drivelinebases

Couple things:

1) Fully recovered from UCL reconstruction surgery, for many it takes > 12 months to be 100%
    2) Trained differently in the last off-season - more fast-twitch work
    3) Diligent student of his craft, loves to maximize his stuff studying analytics
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 11-02-2020 at 04:31 PM.

12. Likes:

BillDoran (11-02-2020),Edd Roush (11-04-2020),JaxRed (11-02-2020),podgejeff_ (11-10-2020),RED VAN HOT (11-03-2020)

Some MiLB pitchers who made big strides this year: Johnnie Schneider averaged 92 mph at Billings in 2019 and he was throwing 95-97 in his first intrasquad game last month. Jake Stevenson was throwing 96+ during instructs.

Kyle Boddy on the #Reds’ instructional league: "From a baseball perspective, it was a really good result, no doubt. From a culture perspective and work perspective, I think it’ll pay dividends for the next 2 to 3 years.”
    cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2020/11/07/kyle-boddy-likes-progress-cincinnati-reds-minor-league-pitchers/6172355002/

Bobby Nightengale @nightengalejr
    Quite the season debut in the Dominican Winter League for recent #Reds 40-man addition Vladimir Gutierrez.

Minor League Baseball @MiLB
    #Reds No. 16 prospect Vladimir Gutierrez had it working for Tigres del Licey in his Dominican Winter League debut.

4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K

15. Likes:

BillDoran (12-01-2020),Edd Roush (12-01-2020),HammerTime (12-01-2020),marcshoe (12-01-2020),RED VAN HOT (12-01-2020)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    “You could argue that he performed as well as anyone in our instructional league."

Jacob Hurtubise, the fastest player in the #Reds' farm system, pauses his military service to chase his baseball dream.
    cincinnati.com

Where the Reds put the NDFAs and recent draftees is among the most critical (and interesting) decisions they'll face this off-season. The Rule 5 acquisitions are a lesser interesting decision too. In season's past, Hurtubise and his ilk would have begun their careers in the Pioneer League (or perhaps Arizona League), then moved to low A as needed. I have no clue what will happen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Where the Reds put the NDFAs and recent draftees is among the most critical (and interesting) decisions they'll face this off-season. The Rule 5 acquisitions are a lesser interesting decision too. In season's past, Hurtubise and his ilk would have begun their careers in the Pioneer League (or perhaps Arizona League), then moved to low A as needed. I have no clue what will happen this year.
    It is puzzling. I am presuming that low A rosters are limited. That would leave an over abundance of players in the complex playing for the rookie team. In the case of Hurtubise, I suspect he will start at low A Daytona. He just turned 23 and is a true CF'er, an area of need within the organization. I suspect the Reds will want to see what they have. Further, I believe as a courtesy to him, they will want to decide relatively quickly so that he can resume his military career rather than hanging around the minors for 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    It is puzzling. I am presuming that low A rosters are limited. That would leave an over abundance of players in the complex playing for the rookie team. In the case of Hurtubise, I suspect he will start at low A Daytona. He just turned 23 and is a true CF'er, an area of need within the organization. I suspect the Reds will want to see what they have. Further, I believe as a courtesy to him, they will want to decide relatively quickly so that he can resume his military career rather than hanging around the minors for 5 years.
    Right. The problem, of course, is that the Reds also have Quin Cotton, TJ Hopkins, and (to a lesser degree) Nate Scantlin who are also 22 or 23 in the same position. And they may want to see if Austin Hendrick can play CF as well.

This doesn't even touch on Mariel Bautista and Michael Siani, who struggled a bit in low A in 2019 before Instructs/ lost 2020. I'm assuming they won't stay in the same league, but they're likely to play OF in Dayton in High A, IMO. (Or perhaps AA?)
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 12-27-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Turn Off Ads?