Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Playoff Off Days

Playoff Off Days

There was a brief discussion on MLB network that eliminating off days in the postseason is under consideration. I think it has merit. During the season teams play seven or more days consecutively even if a west coast trip is involved. It takes a full five man (or more) rotation to get through the season. Eliminating off days would make the postseason look more like the regular season and would reward pitching depth as opposed to a small number of elite pitchers. Further, it would shorten the playoff season thereby permitting more games in early rounds and some ability to deconflict with football.

Thoughts?

2. Likes:

goldglover9 (10-17-2020),Ron Madden (10-17-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Playoff Off Days

They already play 162 regular season games in 187 days.

If you're going to have all your playoff games in one locale, like this year - then yeah no off days are fine. But if you're say.....the Dodgers and have to fly to Philadelphia in a playoff round, off days are kind of nice.

MLB doesn't need 50% of their teams (nor sub .500 clubs) in the playoffs.

it is a good point it rewards the best team not a Madison Baumgarner performance where one guy won the whole world series

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    it is a good point it rewards the best team not a Madison Baumgarner performance where one guy won the whole world series
    I agree. While that performance was amazing, it felt almost like a cheap exploit, like a video game where the logic is broken and certain plays work 100% of the time.

I like it, off days suck, hate how the NHL and NBA stretch their playoffs out for literally months due to off days.
    Go Gators!

8. Likes:

bm1475 (10-17-2020)

I really like it. And I have to admit I also like the three batter rule for relievers. I’m really enjoying these playoffs because of both of these changes.

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    I really like it. And I have to admit I also like the three batter rule for relievers. I’m really enjoying these playoffs because of both of these changes.
    I didn't think I would, but I'm enjoying the three batter rule as well. It adds an additional dimension of strategy.

Yep. And there aren’t all the breaks for new pitchers after every other batter in the 7,8 innings. It’s just a better viewing experience.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Fewer off-days is obviously great and actually causes October baseball to resemble rest-of-the-year baseball (which is something that should be a goal), but the only reason we're getting it this year is the neutral site and the lack of travel.

I do NOT approve of neutral site playoff games, so as soon as we're back to "normal" we also go back to having 2 off-days for every 5- and 7-game series.

Personally, I think you can pull it off with 1 off-day in a 7-game series (after Game 5), using daytime "get-away" starttimes like you do during the regular season, and it wouldn't even upset the applecart as far as owners/TV money goes. A 5-game series is messier, unless you invert the schedule (lower seed hosts 2 games, then better seed hosts 3), but it's not unworkable, I don't think.

Pad out the time BETWEEN series, to give yourself the cushion you need to protect against rainouts and such, and it strikes ME as reasonable. Somehow, I don't think the players would go for it.

[Total Tangent: with the neutral sites this year, would anyone other than me have preferred to see them go to a 2-2-1-1-1 format for the home team, rather than 2-3-2? I get why it'll never be a regular thing for baseball, but it's such a more sensible/fair way to do 7 games in my opinion....]

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I await in anticipation as to how next year is gonna look...pandemic wise and see how MLB reacts to what condition we are in.

Turn Off Ads?