Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could The Reds sign SS Ha-Seong Kim?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Could The Reds sign SS Ha-Seong Kim?

C. Trent Rosecrans of The Athletic (subscription required) looks at some of the possibilities available to the Reds on the offseason shortstop market, though it remains to be seen if Cincinnati will have the payroll flexibility to pursue top free agents like Didi Gregorius or Marcus Semien. Rosecrans also notes that the Reds have also scouted Ha-Seong Kim of the Korea Baseball Organization, who wouldn’t necessarily carry quite as large a price tag, though several teams are expected to check into Kim’s services when he is posted.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...40/ar-BB1a86du

Re: Could The Reds sign SS Ha-Seong Kim?

He'd be a bigger gamble than Gregorius or Semien or Simmons, but I'm always in favor of adding talent, and Kim appears to be a talented guy.

Fwiw, ZiPS projects him at .274/ .343/ .477 with a 117 OPS+. That's a 3.8 fWAR (though defense is iffy to project beyond "looks okay".)

It would be a Reds-like move to sign Kim. The dollar range will be lower than a similar MLB free agent, Reds sometimes “go for it” in those situations. Chapman, Iggy were earlier examples along with Shogo.

It’s not a bad strategy but it’s a key position and you have to be confident he can be a starter in MLB.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-17-2020 at 08:01 PM.

He's worth rolling the dice on imo

Quote Originally Posted by redsman2007 View Post
    He's worth rolling the dice on imo
    Just checked Kim’s age, it’s his 25th birthday today, October 17.

6. Likes:

redsmetz (10-20-2020)

The real question is, will he stick up the middle or is he more of a corner guy? Reds have enough corner types for now - Suarez, Moose, Castellanos, India. They need to add dynamic players who can play SS, 2B or CF.

Another question is, where do the Reds stand with Jose Garcia? My guess is they're still pretty high on him, but will look for a stopgap next season to give Garcia a little room to sharpen his approach at the plate.

8. Likes:

Chip R (11-18-2020),M2 (10-19-2020),REDREAD (12-17-2020),Revering4Blue (10-17-2020),Ron Madden (10-17-2020),Tuff Nut (10-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    The real question is, will he stick up the middle or is he more of a corner guy? Reds have enough corner types for now - Suarez, Moose, Castellanos, India. They need to add dynamic players who can play SS, 2B or CF.

Another question is, where do the Reds stand with Jose Garcia? My guess is they're still pretty high on him, but will look for a stopgap next season to give Garcia a little room to sharpen his approach at the plate.
    He's a SS.

Last year, he played some 3B due to another SS phenom coming up in the Kiwoom system (Hye-seong Kim) and former Cub Addison Russell.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Ha-Seong Kim Likely To Be Posted After Thanksgiving

Kiwoom Heroes star Ha-Seong Kim is one of the most intriguing names in this year’s free agent market, and he will soon become available to speak with Major League teams. The expectation is that Kim will be posted soon after the Thanksgiving break, Heroes general manager Chi-Hyun Kim told reporters (including ESPN’s Daniel Kim) today. That would put Kim in line to hit the posting market around November 30 or December 1.

The KBO League recently pushed its posting period from November 10 to December 14 due to scheduling changes stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic, as opposed to the usual November 1-December 5 window. The exact date doesn’t really have any impact for Kim, as there is no longer any time limit on how long a player has to reach a deal with an MLB club. The newer posting rules instituted between MLB and the KBO League removed that 30-day window, as the new rules focus on the size of the posting fee received by the KBO team based on the value of the Major League contract signed by the player in question.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

So let me confirm.... Ha-Seong Kim, who spent some time at third to make room for Hye-seung Kim, will be posted soon according to Chi-Hyu Kim, who told the story to Daniel Kim.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

12. Likes:

Chip R (11-18-2020),WrongVerb (11-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    So let me confirm.... Ha-Seong Kim, who spent some time at third to make room for Hye-seung Kim, will be posted soon according to Chi-Hyu Kim, who told the story to Daniel Kim.
    I wonder if Kim Ng is interested?

Kim is my first choice to fill the hole at SS. Since the Reds think they have someone in Garcia who will take over in 2022 (hopefully), I don't think signing someone like Didi makes sense. And about 2022 is when we might need a 2b because Moose has gone to 1b.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Gonna hard pass here
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I'm good with him on the Reds backing up Lindor.

17. Likes:

Red Raindog (11-17-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Ha-Seong Kim To Be Posted On November 25

Kim will be posted tomorrow, Jeeho Yoo of Yonhap News reports (Twitter link). The 30-day negotiating window for Major League teams to speak to Kim will then open at 7am CT on November 26.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

If the rumors about Sonny Gray are accurate, I wouldn’t look for Reds to sign any LTCs.

Presumably Kim is going to want a few years of security.

Hopefully they have the salary room to bid on somebody like this - who normally might be considered cost effective - but if Reds are really slashing salary this year then forget about it.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-25-2020 at 08:47 AM.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (12-17-2020)

Turn Off Ads?