Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Could The Reds sign SS Ha-Seong Kim?

Re: Could The Reds sign SS Ha-Seong Kim?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Random Korean users. Not worth linking. Huge grain of salt.

What is interesting, though, is that apparently Kim is insisting on a clause he cannot be sent to the minors without his consent and it’s a hang-up for MLB teams. That’s a weird clause.
    Bodes well for the Reds then. They need a SS ASAP. If a guy like Suarez or Moose is dealt Kim could play other positions too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Kim at SS solves some issues with a suspect advanced farm system. If he's for real.

That said, the Fangraphs projection (.244/ .322/ .417) leaves me a bit cold. I suspect Semien or Gregorius could better that mark substantially at similar price points for less years. They should be aiming for more than 2.2 WAR with their free agent dollars, IMO. (Now, if they project Kim to be better with the bat, a signing makes more sense.)

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Kim at SS solves some issues with a suspect advanced farm system. If he's for real.

That said, the Fangraphs projection (.244/ .322/ .417) leaves me a bit cold. I suspect Semien or Gregorius could better that mark substantially at similar price points for less years. They should be aiming for more than 2.2 WAR with their free agent dollars, IMO. (Now, if they project Kim to be better with the bat, a signing makes more sense.)
    I'm not really familiar with fangraphs projections, any idea how accurate they are BZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'm not really familiar with fangraphs projections, any idea how accurate they are BZ?
    No projection system is very good, but Fangraphs is as accurate as any of them. The problem is Asian players-- Korean players specifically. There's just not enough of those guys to make any projection accurate.

The track record of Korean superstars who trek to MLB is actually pretty good. Jung Ho Kang and Shin-Soo Choo were exceptional for a couple of seasons. Even guys like Hyun-soo Kim and Dae-ho Lee were anywhere from average to more than adequate offensively. (Kim was excellent in his first taste of American baseball.)

Kang is probably Kim's closest comp, in that he also played SS. But Kang was coming off an absolutely monstrous 1.198 KBL season with 40 HR. Too, by the time Pittsburgh had signed him, Kang was filled completely out-- his speed was gone. Kim is a very different hitter and player. The Fangraphs' projections seems to suggest Kim's power won't play much at all.

His projection mirrors Shogo Akiyama's struggles early last season, really. Which is one reason why the signing is, to me, suggestive of a solid move. Akiyama developed, learned, and in his last half of the season (roughly) went .317/ .456/ .365/ .821. That isn't just adequate-- it's outstanding. (His season is one reason why I'm pretty excited about the Reds chances to enjoy an improved offense.) Kim's probably got a little more natural pop than does Akiyama, but the approach is similar. He's going to adapt and learn because that's what Asian hitters who move to America typically do. The key is whether Kim can adjust to a fastball that's 8-10 mph faster almost all the time. Most Asian superstars do, but they lose quite a bit of power and BA as a result.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 12-27-2020 at 11:58 PM.

7. Likes:

Redeyecat (12-29-2020),Revering4Blue (12-27-2020),Ron Madden (12-27-2020),wally post (12-28-2020)

Thanks for the explanation BZ

Buster Olney Retweeted
    Daniel Kim 대니얼 김 @DanielKimW
    Multiple sources have told me some teams see Ha-seong Kim as super utility type similar to that of Cavan Biggio’s role w/ #BlueJays. #MLB #KBO

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN
    The Padres made the Blake Snell deal last night, and they are also taking a serious run at free agent Ha-seong Kim, the infielder who had an OPS over .900 for Kiwoom last year. https://baseball-reference.com/regis...d=kim---001ha- He's 25 years old.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I've only seen the Blue Jays and the Dads rumored as "serious bidders" for Kim, which means they're probably nowhere near signing him. Neither team makes much sense, either - Jays have Bo Bichette and the Dads have some guy named Fernando Tatis Jr.

I wouldn't be shocked if some random team came out of nowhere to grab him, but I would be shocked if that team was Cincinnati.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

11. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-28-2020)

Tweet by Sherman, Pads front runner for Kim, $7-8 million, would play second base, fewer than six years. Not a done deal.

Now says deal probably 4-5 years, in high $20M range, back-end loaded.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-28-2020 at 11:16 AM.

C/ Trent retweeted this:
    "The Korean agency for posted #KBO player Kim Ha-seong has confirmed that he has departed for the U.S. No word on exact destination. The agency said Kim has received offers from multiple clubs, and he needs to be in the U.S. with the Jan. 1 deadline fast approaching."
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Yeah, all the tea leaves point to Sanny Aygo. I wouldn't complain if we signed him but I'm not going to cry if he heads elsewhere.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

The San Diego Padres are hoping to build off their success in 2020 by reportedly looking to add South Korean star Ha-Seong Kim. Per ESPN's Buster Olney, the Padres are "taking a serious run" at the 25-year-old shortstop.

Over the past two years, Kim has been the starting shortstop for the Kiwoom Heroes. He ranked 11th in OPS (.920), 12th in on-base percentage (.397) and 20th in batting average (.306) in 138 games during the 2020 season.

In May, Kyle Glaser of Baseball America named Kim as the top Major League Baseball prospect playing in the KBO:

"He is a good athlete with good instincts at the position and has the average arm strength to stay on the left side of the infield. He projects to be an above-average hitter and has enough power to hit 12-15 home runs per year in the majors. Kim is likely to face an adjustment period at the plate when he first arrives in the U.S., but he has the athleticism and twitch to adjust and eventually hit major league velocity."

The Padres aren't lacking for infielders at the moment. Manny Machado and Fernando Tatis Jr. finished in the top four in NL MVP voting last season. Jake Cronenworth who primarily plays second base, but he's capable of playing multiple infield positions.was the NL Rookie of the Year runner-up after posting an .831 OPS in 54 games.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ke-snell-trade

Padres got Kim. If I’m the reds I’m calling up and asking about Cronenworth.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

C. Trent Rosecrans Retweeted
    Dennis Lin @dennistlin 34m
    The Padres have reached an agreement with Ha-seong Kim, a source tells The Athletic.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Well, Reds were one of seven bidders for Kim. We’ll always have that.

Agree that Cronenworth would be a good target for Reds, although Padres would clean their clock in any deal. Worth an inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I've only seen the Blue Jays and the Dads rumored as "serious bidders" for Kim, which means they're probably nowhere near signing him. Neither team makes much sense, either - Jays have Bo Bichette and the Dads have some guy named Fernando Tatis Jr.

I wouldn't be shocked if some random team came out of nowhere to grab him, but I would be shocked if that team was Cincinnati.
    So both teams depend on nepotism?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?