Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could The Reds sign SS Ha-Seong Kim?

Re: Could The Reds sign SS Ha-Seong Kim?

I don't think Kim is going to be tremendously expensive. I think the Reds will pursue him till it gets too rich.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    I wonder if Kim Ng is interested?
    What if Kim Ng married Daniel Kim?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

What do we expect from our SS moving forward?

Shortstops contributed 9.8% of EBH in the NL over the last fifty years.

But the number is climbing each decade.

1970 - 7.7%
    1980 - 8.3
    1990 - 9.0
    2000 - 10.0
    2010 - 11.0
    2020 - 12.6

It's a different game these days, do we as fans expect league average bat at expense of glove?

Or best of both worlds?

The later is gonna cost you going with a sure thing.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-25-2020),redsmetz (11-25-2020),Revering4Blue (11-27-2020),Ron Madden (11-29-2020)

MLB free agency: Korean star shortstop Ha-Seong Kim posted for MLB teams; here's everything you need to know
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...-need-to-know/

6. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (11-30-2020)

Nice summary article. I tend to think the Reds see Garcia as the SS of the future. Thus, they seem more likely to shop for a short term contract among the available FA's. Kim does look attractive however. They could always move him to 2B when Garcia is ready. That would give them a strong MI defensively.

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-30-2020)

Shortstop Ha-Seong Kim has yet to be officially made available to Major League teams due to a minor delay in medical paperwork, Jeeho Yoo of the Yonhap News Agency writes. According to Kiwoom Heroes general manager Chi-Hyun Kim, Major League Baseball requested more medical documentation “that we didn’t think would be necessary. Kim Ha-seong went for tests at three different hospitals on Monday and we sent those results to the KBO today.”

The issue isn’t expected to keep the star shortstop off the market for much longer, and he could be officially posted as early as Wednesday or Thursday.

Given how many other notable shortstops are available either in free agency (i.e. Marcus Semien, Didi Gregorius, Andrelton Simmons) or trades (Francisco Lindor, and potentially Javier Baez or Trevor Story) this offseason, it’s possible this delay in Kim’s availability could somewhat hold up the rest of the shortstop market. Kim is the more intriguing members of the 2020-21 free-agent class, as he is just 25 years old but already has six seasons of excellent numbers under his belt in the KBO League.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...rk/ar-BB1bx5OW

keep in mind the KBO is a step down from the japanese league, and we all know how most japanese players underperform when coming to MLB (based on hype, salary). yes, there have been some excellent japanese players in MLB (nomo, ichiro, matsui), but overall most of them fall short of expectations.

not saying the reds shouldn't kick the tires here. they should. i would even be fine with a relatively cheap signing of kim. i still think garcia is going to be very good and everyone is overracting on what they saw during a very short sample size as a 22-year old who had never played above A+ before. but the reds do need to have someone else in place just in case it does not work out with garcia. kim could be the answer.

but buyer beware. the KBO is a very hitter-friendly league and it's very rare for a hitter to come from there and do well in MLB. eric thames had his 2 months when he first came back to MLB, then faded away fast. choo is the best hitter to come out of korea, but i don't think he was there for long. he was in the mariners' organization from a very young age.

11. Likes:

Chip R (12-02-2020),REDREAD (12-17-2020)

"ZiPS projects Kim at roughly .270/.344/.490 with 23 homers and 15 steals annually over the next five seasons."

I mean. That's Francisco Lindor.

13. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (12-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    "ZiPS projects Kim at roughly .270/.344/.490 with 23 homers and 15 steals annually over the next five seasons."

I mean. That's Francisco Lindor.
    Lindor hit over 30 homers 3 straight seasons before 2020.

Also, I don’t buy that projection.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

kaldaniels (12-04-2020),Mitri (12-04-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Jon Morosi
    @jonmorosi
    Sources: Infielder Ha-seong Kim has been formally posted by the Kiwoom Heroes of KBO. @MLB
    clubs have the ability to sign him between now and Jan. 1. @MLBNetwork
    5:28 AM · Dec 7, 2020
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    The Jays have been in touch with star KBO SS Ha-Seong Kim and he’s someone they like. He also recently had dinner with Jays ace Hyun-Jin Ryu. Kim hit a career best 30 HR for the Kiwoom Heroes this past year. Just turned 25.

A KBO reporter just tweeted the 7 teams that have made offers to Kim. The reds are one of them.

ThE rEdS aRe FiRe SeLlInG
    What would you say.....ya do here?

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (12-25-2020),HammerTime (12-26-2020)

He's only 25. Technically they can be both fire-selling and building (if the contract is long enough that is).

Reds have a ways to go to disprove a sell off this off-season. Virtually every player move so far reflects a sell-off. The non-tenders, the salary dump trade, the cheap acquisitions. Even most of the rumors.

This report of this one offer, yet unaccepted, isn’t much of an answer. Hopefully more to come.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-25-2020 at 02:20 AM.

Kim's the SS I've been wanting. Makes a ton of sense. No trade needed, long term acquisition. I think he'll be pretty reasonably priced.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

23. Likes:

ochoa30 (12-25-2020)

MLBTR says Kim already has offers for at least five years. MLBTR predicted 5/40 for Kim.

If he really has seven suitors bidding, he could get a nice sum. At age 25, he’s attractive.

I guess Reds might be interested if the annual salary is reasonable, particularly for 2021. Not sure how they’d feel about five or more years especially with Garcia on the horizon.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-25-2020 at 02:08 AM.

Turn Off Ads?