Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Re: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Devin Booker turned 24 years old today. Considering he's been around for 10 years that's gotta be some sort of record. But really, we haven't even seen the best of this guy yet. I hope the Suns don't mess it up.

2. Likes:

M2 (10-31-2020),UKFlounder (10-31-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Jonathan Wasserman: Source: Colorado’s Tyler Bey set an NBA combine record for forwards with a 43.5 inch max vertical: 6’6” without shoes 6’7” with shoes 7’1.25” wingspan 8’9.5” standing reach 37.0” no step vert 43.5” max vert 5.0% body fat
    If Bey is drafted in the bottom half of the first round, he might well be a steal. He's ready right now defensively. He'll need to get stronger, of course. And learn to shoot from distance.

But he's a high floor contributor from Day One.

In the right spot, with the right minutes, he could be somebody interesting. If I'm Minnesota, sitting at 17, I'm intrigued enough to consider him. He could slot into either the wing or as a light PF and provide some defensive intensity.

Speaking of Minnesota, word is that they're casting their eye to Tyler Haliburton for their top pick.

Haliburton, a native of Oshkosh who played the last two seasons at Iowa State, is quietly drawing keen interest from the Minnesota Timberwolves and Golden State Warriors, who currently have the first and second picks, respectively, in the Nov. 18 draft. According to sources, Haliburton has already talked and met with Minnesota officials on multiple occasions. Next week, he is expected to meet with a contingent of Warriors officials. – via Woelfel's Press Box
    I hadn't considered Haliburton there before, but if there's ever an example of a perfect fit, Haliburton is it. He should defend at a high level, shoot well (despite weird mechanics), and be a solid secondary play maker. With Malik Beasley at one wing (assuming they re-sign the RFA) and Haliburton at the other, there's a five-out offense with three (KAT, Beasley, and Russell) 20+ ppg scorers, three (KAT, Russell, and Haliburton) play makers, and a court full of shooters. They'll need a PF defense-first guy to go with him. (That said, I'd love to see the TWolves unleash Jared Vanderbilt as a defense-only poor man's Dennis Rodman. And I make that comment only slightly tongue in cheek. I really think Vanderbilt can be a quality contributor-- as long as you don't expect any offense from him.)

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-02-2020)

Draft thoughts:

Edwards is an athletic tank. His background is in football. His basketball instincts lag because he is relatively new to bball, but he is also very young (18). His character seems to be good - religious, self-confident, hard working. I also think he could fit into a number of different roles, so he could fit with a number of different rosters (wolves, warriors, bulls).
    Lamelo has great instincts, but he has to have the ball all the time. He would need to be the focus of the team, and that only works with certain rosters. Look at last year’s draft for ball dominant guards. I know that Jah is more talented than Garland and Coby White, but he also was given the keys to the team. I think Garland and Coby have a lot of potential, but they were not effective last year.
    I think Lamelo does not fit GS or Minn, but might thrive for Charlotte or the Knicks. His character? With his dad’s control over his career, that is unknown, but there are rumors his draft interviews have been unimpressive.

I am intrigued by the PFs and shooters in this draft. Nesmith and Okongwu are talents I hope the wolves are considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I think Lamelo does not fit GS or Minn, but might thrive for Charlotte or the Knicks. His character? With his dad’s control over his career, that is unknown, but there are rumors his draft interviews have been unimpressive.
    There are rumors that his interviews have been disastrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    There are rumors that his interviews have been disastrous.
    Not surprising. Supposedly his teammates in Australia wanted to strangle him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

The NBPA is reportedly expected to vote in favor of starting the 2020-21 season on December 22, with training camps opening up on December 1. We're just two weeks away from the 2020 NBA Draft (Nov. 18), and free agency will open up 48-72 hours after that, so things are about to get very busy in a hurry. It's reportedly going to be a 72-game season with less travel and only 14 back-to-back sets, with the regular-season ending around May 16. There is also expected to be a play-in tournament for the No. 7-10 seeds in both conferences, which hopefully, will result in more competitive play from more teams down the stretch of the season.

SOURCE: Marc Stein on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

M2 (11-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Devin Booker turned 24 years old today. Considering he's been around for 10 years that's gotta be some sort of record. But really, we haven't even seen the best of this guy yet. I hope the Suns don't mess it up.
    I suspect Booker's one more under .500 season from demanding a trade.

Phoenix is going to need to get better this season if it wants to keep him. That #10 pick could be sneaky good in a draft filled with 3-and-D shooters. Other teams will likely pony up for it.

That said, were I the Suns, I'd seriously consider moving Booker to Minnesota in a blockbuster.

Why says no?

Devin Booker and the #10 pick in the draft to Minnesota for the #1 pick, the #17 pick, the rights to RFA Malik Beasley, and PF James Johnson.

The salaries can match up however they want as long as the Sun sign/ take on the risks of Beasley at $10M+ contract. (Which is a no-brainer.) If that's too light on Minnesota's part, they could throw in their high second rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It's reportedly going to be a 72-game season with less travel and only 14 back-to-back sets, with the regular-season ending around May 16. There is also expected to be a play-in tournament for the No. 7-10 seeds in both conferences, which hopefully, will result in more competitive play from more teams down the stretch of the season.

SOURCE: Marc Stein on Twitter
    They'll never get it all in, but that's a solid compromise from the league and the players. Less travel. Fewer back-to-backs. Starting early enough to get in "some" games. So alien, when it comes to professional sports leagues.

The cynic in me says league owners realize they'll never get the whole season in and need a quick cash infusion before the poop hits the fan. December was as early as they dared do it. Players know this, I suspect, and realize they're going to be able to take a month or two in the middle of the season (at least). So they can also get a little nest egg started before leaner times hit. Again.

Anyone else?

https://www.blazersedge.com/2020/11/...otiations-nbpa

Players approve Dec. 22nd Start Date.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

https://www.blazersedge.com/2020/11/...otiations-nbpa

NBA Players and Owners discussing salary cap minimum.

I just found out that I didn't know that the NBA has a contract with the Olympics and that's the likely reason they couldn't compromise the end date for the season, the thus, "start now or you'll get less money".

Knicks are interested in Justin Holiday, trading for Chris Paul, and re-signing Carmelo Anthony.

This would be a most Knick-like off-season.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-08-2020)

A couple pre-draft hot stove rumors from the NBA:

1. Spencer Dinwiddie seems to be a target for several West Coast teams.

If the Nets are willing to overspend on Joe Harris (and that's the apparent gist of their off-season), Dinwiddie would seem to be available for relative cheap. Both the Lakers and Clippers would be much better with Dinwiddie than without. (And the Lakers can absolutely afford him.)

2. Golden State is interested in LaMarcus Aldridge and the 11th pick for the #2 pick and salary ballast (likely Andrew Wiggins?).

That's a fascinating deal, IMO. Wiggins is bad, but if anyone can find a way to make him serviceable, it's Pop. And the number two pick could be an easy way to acquire high-end talent too. Aldridge is old, but he'd be a fine player with the Warriors. And that 11th pick could turn into Saddiq Bey or Aaron Nesmith, who'd fit the Dubs like a glove.

It is kind of weird to think we should be in a new NBA season right now. On election night (last Tuesday), I was having flashbacks to 2016 where I was flipping back and forth between election results and a Lakers game. The Lakers were super young (and bad) and at that point were 4-3, on a 3 game winning streak including a big win against GSW, but took the L from Dallas that night.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    2. Golden State is interested in LaMarcus Aldridge and the 11th pick for the #2 pick and salary ballast (likely Andrew Wiggins?).

That's a fascinating deal, IMO. Wiggins is bad, but if anyone can find a way to make him serviceable, it's Pop. And the number two pick could be an easy way to acquire high-end talent too. Aldridge is old, but he'd be a fine player with the Warriors. And that 11th pick could turn into Saddiq Bey or Aaron Nesmith, who'd fit the Dubs like a glove.
    It would be a very win now sort of proposition for the Warriors. Would also think they'd be due an extra piece in that deal, someone like Trey Lyles or Lonnie Walker.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?