Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

By no means a blockbuster, but worth reporting..

The Brooklyn Nets have agreed to acquire Bruce Brown from the Detroit Pistons for Dzanan Musa and a 2021 second round pick via the Toronto Raptors.

Brown should become part of Brooklyn's rotation in the backcourt.

For the Pistons, this is the first move since Troy Weaver became general manager and signals his intent to stockpile future draft assets.

ADRIAN WOJNAROWSKI/ESPN
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

adkindo (11-16-2020),dubc47834 (11-16-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Not that it's unexpected, but AD failed to opt in to the final year on his deal. Not sure how much more money this will allow him to make, but it will be more.
    it will be a little more, but the primary reason is to lock up a little more security. He can do a 2+1 (PO) which guarantees 100+ Million in additional lifetime earnings no matter what happens tomorrow that could impact his career.....and be in position to opt back on the market in 2 years and get the massive deal for a 10 year player.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    By no means a blockbuster, but worth reporting..

The Brooklyn Nets have agreed to acquire Bruce Brown from the Detroit Pistons for Dzanan Musa and a 2021 second round pick via the Toronto Raptors.

Brown should become part of Brooklyn's rotation in the backcourt.

For the Pistons, this is the first move since Troy Weaver became general manager and signals his intent to stockpile future draft assets.

ADRIAN WOJNAROWSKI/ESPN
    I like Brown as a rotation guy.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (11-16-2020),Revering4Blue (11-16-2020)

Chris Paul goes to Phoenix. Oubre, Rubio, Jerome, Lecque, and a 1st rounder goes back to OKC.

Presti continues to make moves. So many moves.

Love Oubre in OKC. They've needed a real two-way wing for a long time, and I think Oubre's a solid pick. Rubio's salary ballast, but could be solid second-unit guy or work with SGA in a starting lineup. Adding these guys to SGA and Green, Dort, Darius Bazley, Terrence Ferguson, Hami Diallo-- that's a lot of backcourt help. (And doesn't even include other rosterable options.) I have no clue what Presti has in mind moving forward, but he'll have to balance his roster relatively soon. Watch for more deals.

As for Phoenix, Paul makes them much more interesting. Booker and Paul might be the second-best shooting backcourt in the NBA. This probably allows both Cam Payne and Jevon Carter to be re-signed (if they're not too expensive). Cam Johnson and Mikal Bridges can man the SF spot. Saric is a must-sign, at this point. Look for the Suns to focus on either a SF or a PF in the draft. They're going for it, and I respect that.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-16-2020)

Oubre + SGA is an interesting pairing. Will be interesting to see what they add with a Gallinari sign-and-trade and an Adams trade. And isn't the 2022 draft going to be the double class?

Paul needs to pay off this year. Probably a good bet to do it (never has failed). Yet something always seems to go wrong for the Suns.
    Last edited by M2; 11-16-2020 at 03:22 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Chris Paul goes to Phoenix. Oubre, Rubio, Jerome, Lecque, and a 1st rounder goes back to OKC.

Presti continues to make moves. So many moves.

Love Oubre in OKC. They've needed a real two-way wing for a long time, and I think Oubre's a solid pick. Rubio's salary ballast, but could be solid second-unit guy or work with SGA in a starting lineup. Adding these guys to SGA and Green, Dort, Darius Bazley, Terrence Ferguson, Hami Diallo-- that's a lot of backcourt help. (And doesn't even include other rosterable options.) I have no clue what Presti has in mind moving forward, but he'll have to balance his roster relatively soon. Watch for more deals.

As for Phoenix, Paul makes them much more interesting. Booker and Paul might be the second-best shooting backcourt in the NBA. This probably allows both Cam Payne and Jevon Carter to be re-signed (if they're not too expensive). Cam Johnson and Mikal Bridges can man the SF spot. Saric is a must-sign, at this point. Look for the Suns to focus on either a SF or a PF in the draft. They're going for it, and I respect that.
    The Suns are kind of like the Reds from last offseason - not really good enough to "go for it," but actually trying to win is a whole lot more fun than sitting in mediocre purgatory. I'll be rooting that it works out.

10. Likes:

BillDoran (11-16-2020),M2 (11-16-2020),Revering4Blue (11-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    The Suns are kind of like the Reds from last offseason - not really good enough to "go for it," but actually trying to win is a whole lot more fun than sitting in mediocre purgatory. I'll be rooting that it works out.
    Good call.

Paul is still an elite PG.

Booker's as good as almost any 2G.

Bridges might be an elite defense-first 3-and-D wing. (And Cam Johnson might also be sneaky good.)

Saric played very well in the bubble.

Ayton's developing.

That team still has some serious questions, but Monty Williams is, by all accounts, beloved and capable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Oubre + SGA is an interesting pairing.
    I'm wondering if the Thunder believe SGA is a combo guard and not a point guard.

The Suns are pretty much trying to get Booker in the playoffs so his frustration does not lead to wanting to play in another city. They should be able to contend for a playoff spot.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

13. Likes:

M2 (11-16-2020),Revering4Blue (11-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    The Suns are pretty much trying to get Booker in the playoffs so his frustration does not lead to wanting to play in another city. They should be able to contend for a playoff spot.
    They also have the draft pick at #10 and who they can get with the extra $18M or so they have when they do the cap gymnastics with the Paul deal.

I'm guessing they'll target an elite shooter (Nesmith and Saddiq Bey should both be available) on the wing or perhaps an heir apparent PG (Kira Lewis or Killian Hayes, maybe).

15. Likes:

And isn't the 2022 draft going to be the double class?
    Yep, the reverse of the 2006 draft, two years worth of top HS players. Most reports have said teams have been clinging to 2022 1sts in trade talks, or at least appropriately protecting them. Here is what I could find so far:

-Atlanta owns Oklahoma City's 1st top 14 protected. OKC gives up 2024 and 2025 2nds if not conveyed
    -Brooklyn owns a 2nd from Indiana in 2021 45-60 protected which is then 45-60 protected again in 2022.
    -Chicago owns the right to a 2nd rd swap with Detroit or Lakers (Washington gets most favorable of the picks).
    -Cleveland owns a 1st from Milwaukee 1-10 protected in 2022.
    -Cleveland owns 2nds from Houston, San Antonio, and Washington.
    -Golden State owns a 2021 1st top 3 protected, unprotected in 2022.
    -Golden State owns a 2nd from Toronto.
    -Indiana owns a 2nd from Miami.
    -Clippers own a 2nd from Atlanta 31-55 protected.
    -Memphis owns a 2021 1st from Utah 1-7 and 15-30 protected in 2021 then 1-6 protected in 2022.
    -Memphis owns a 2nd from Detroit or Chicago, less favorable.
    -Miami owns a 2nd from Philadelphia or Denver, less favorable.
    -Milwaukee owns a 2nd from Indiana (only happens once Indiana has conveyed a 2nd to Brooklyn which has 45-60 protections for 2021 and 2022 before being unprotected in 2023.
    -Minnesota owns a 2nd from Philadelphia or Denver, whichever is more favorable.
    -New Orleans owns a 2021 1st from the Lakers but it is 8-30 protected and is then unprotected in 2022.
    -New Orleans owns a 2nd from Cleveland.
    -Oklahoma City owns a 1st from the Clippers
    -Washington owns a 2nd from the most favorable of Chicago, Detroit, or Lakers.

You can actually see how teams have dug down to hold on to their 2022 capital as there have been a lot of 2023 picks dealt. From the looks of it New Orleans, Oklahoma City, and Cleveland are the few teams who are holding some pretty decent draft capital for 2022.

Also I would assume any team looking to pick up Harden or Russ will be asked to part with their 2022 1st.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 11-16-2020 at 05:14 PM.

17. Likes:

M2 (11-16-2020),Revering4Blue (11-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    As they should. Booker could be a nightmare (good for his team, bad for the rest of the teams) on a contender. Not sure how much his D could play up but offensively he's a lights out shooter who can score at all 3 levels with ease.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Yet something always seems to go wrong for the Suns.
    That something is owner Robert Sarver's meddling.

Now, if he butts out and allows his basketball people (Front Office and Coaches) to work...
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

20. Likes:

M2 (11-16-2020)

In the world of idle rumor, supposedly if the Celtics move up they want Okongwu. Where they have to land to make that happen, I don't know.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Yep, the reverse of the 2006 draft, two years worth of top HS players.
    if it actually happens, it is also about the actual players that should be in that draft....Emoni Bates, Chet Holmgren, Patrick Baldwin Jr. and many others. If the hype plays out, these guys are considered more than your typical 5 Stars....as more than a few people have considered Bates on the level of Lebron and AD as prospects....a can't miss type guy. It truly could be one of those drafts that begins to transform the league for the next era.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Sources: James Harden rejects Rockets extension; focus on trade to Nets

This has been described by one source as "his AD moment," in reference to All-Star Anthony Davis who forced his way out of New Orleans for the opportunity to win a title with the Los Angeles Lakers.
    I call this line bs....AD was in New Orleans for 7 years and the FO was never able to put a contending roster around him....the Houston FO has bent over backwards to ensure Harden has a contender level roster around him. He himself holds some of the blame for their inability to win a championship in Houston. If I am Houston, I do not consider it unless Brooklyn will overpay.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

24. Likes:

In the world of idle rumor, supposedly if the Celtics move up they want Okongwu. Where they have to land to make that happen, I don't know.
    My older brother is the biggest basketball fan I know and he spent all afternoon today texting me about Okongwu. In his opinion he’s the best player in this draft class.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

26. Likes:

M2 (11-16-2020)

Turn Off Ads?