Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Re: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Given the crappy draft, it probably has a little less value than usual.
    I'd argue that it's not a crappy draft, but is super talent poor at the top end.

The depth of this draft is actually really intriguing. Especially among the shooters/ wings.

(M2 beat me to it.)

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-17-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Covington shot like crap for the Rockets. 31.5% from the three-point line. He sank shots at a 39.2% clip for Houston. His career eGFG% is 51.8. That's below league average. He's with his 4th team since the start of the 2018 season. That's telling to me. He is absolutely nothing special. Not even close.
    The Blazers need him to take approximately three shots a game. He's in Portland to defend big dudes and erase the many mistakes and limitations of its backcourt.

We've probably gotten out over our skis on Covington--those shooting percentages are sobering--but he is an excellent fit for the Blazers. They probably overpaid a bit, but when your window's closing (it's not a championship window), you push some chips in. I don't particularly like Olshey, but he done good here.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-17-2020),texasdave (11-17-2020)

Rodney Hood did not exercise his player option, making him a free agent. That's $6 million more for the Blazers to spend.

Olshey has a lot of work to do. They've got four very good starters: Lillard, McCollum, Nurkic and Covington; and two legit rotation guys: Collins and Trent.

After that it's dreck and question marks. For whatever godly reason, Stotts needs a big creator, and Hezonja's going to get 10-20 minutes a night. I hope they don't rely on Anfernee Simons again. Maybe Justin James is something. Maybe Nas Little develops.

That's it for guys under contract. Back to work, Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Covington shot like crap for the Rockets. 31.5% from the three-point line. He sank shots at a 39.2% clip for Houston. His career eGFG% is 51.8. That's below league average. He's with his 4th team since the start of the 2018 season. That's telling to me. He is absolutely nothing special. Not even close.
    He'll shoot 38%+ from 3 for POR, and his 2-pt attempts as a percentage of his shots will increse with POR, in addition to his eFG%.

HOU didn't knkw how to use him. Enjoy your rebuild.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-17-2020 at 03:33 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He'll shoot 38%+ from 3 for POR, and his 2-pt attempts as a percentage of his shots will increse with POR, in addition to his eFG%.
    And Portland will win all their games.

Unless the refs cheat them.

9. Likes:

M2 (11-17-2020),texasdave (11-17-2020)

Rodney Hood did not exercise his player option, making him a free agent. That's $6 million more for the Blazers to spend.

Olshey has a lot of work to do. They've got four very good starters: Lillard, McCollum, Nurkic and Covington; and two legit rotation guys: Collins and Trent.

After that it's dreck and question marks. For whatever godly reason, Stotts needs a big creator, and Hezonja's going to get 10-20 minutes a night. I hope they don't rely on Anfernee Simons again. Maybe Justin James is something. Maybe Nas Little develops.

He probably didn't exercise his player option so he could resign a 3-year deal for more per year. He signed for less than his market value originally and there was always talk that it would be made up later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    And Portland will win all their games.

Unless the refs cheat them.
    Normally, yes.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Pretty sour on the Blazers in what is the greatest off-season day, non-draft, in Olshey's history.

Pretty sour on the Blazers in what is the greatest off-season day, non-draft, in Olshey's history.
    Though we both may be Blazers fans, I can't say I often agree with your NBA perspective, however confident it may be.

Also, really blowing the Covington acquisition out of proportion. He's a secondary piece, a really nice one, but complementary to be sure. He's trading for Gerald Wallace again.

Trading for Nurk was twice as important.

Some of the best moves Olshey has made are the ones he's been turned down on. ORL turned down the same offer for Gordon. I'm glad. Olshey's Plan B of Covington is better.

Some of the best moves Olshey has made are the ones he's been turned down on. ORL turned down the same offer for Gordon. I'm glad. Olshey's Plan B of Covington is better.
    So, we're giving points for non-moves (despite the reporting suggesting the Magic turned the trade down)?

But you are 100 percent correct on Olshey's best moves being non-moves. Remember when he tried his damnedest to give $100+ million to an injured Chandler Parsons? Then when Parsons walked away from the cash, he got flustered and locked up a mediocre Evan Turner for $70+ million, then dumped the rest of their cap space on Meyers Leonard and Mo Harkless (who was good, actually). Remember when he signed Allen Crabbe to a $75 million deal?

Neil Olshey, grade-A front office man.

Sorry for the Blazers hi-jacking, all. I'm done.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 11-17-2020 at 04:19 PM.

I'd argue that it's not a crappy draft, but is super talent poor at the top end.

The depth of this draft is actually really intriguing. Especially among the shooters/ wings.
    I was thinking the same thing....but in the past when I have felt that way, it seem to turn out to be a bad draft. I think the value in this draft is in the #15 - #25 pick range....and as always there will be some 2nd Round flyers that are valuable.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I am legit shocked Hood didn't exercise his option. Who's paying him more than $6M in this economy and coming off an Achilles tear?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

BillDoran (11-17-2020),Revering4Blue (11-17-2020)

Most recent rumor is a Westbrook for Wall (and extra) trade.

1. If Harden's dealt for LeVert, Dinwiddie, Allen, Price, and draft picks and Wall (plus) is also dealt to Houston, is it wrong to like Houston more post-Harden? That's a team that has an outstanding backcourt with depth. The frontcourt would be iffy, with Allen as the only center and Tucker and Prince as the PF tandem, but they could fill out a decent squad with frontcourt and wing shooters on the MLE.

2. How does Brooklyn fill out their squad at all?

Most recent rumor is a Westbrook for Wall (and extra) trade.

1. If Harden's dealt for LeVert, Dinwiddie, Allen, Price, and draft picks and Wall (plus) is also dealt to Houston, is it wrong to like Houston more post-Harden?
    is it wrong as far as wins/losses? Yes. Is it wrong about the direction they would be going? Maybe not. They are simply not going to win more games next year without Harden in my opinion. I am not a big fan, but he is a Top 5ish player in the NBA, and no amount of quantity on a finite slot roster is going to make up the difference.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

HOU didn't knkw how to use him. Enjoy your rebuild.
    M2, among others, has been spot on regarding who Robert Covington is. He hasn't been "misused" anywhere. I've watched the guy for years. He is a spot-up catch-and-shoot high-volume three point guy, who's just only decent at that. He will shoot himself (and your team) into oblivion when he's off and he's hot/cold enough for that to be problematic. He has no handle and asking him to shoot off the dribble is akin to demanding that a penguin perform ballet. He has little ability to finish near the rim. Do not give him the ball and ask him to pass. Ever. If he's not open to pump up a three, DO NOT PASS TO HIM. Ever.

You don't "use" someone differently to solve any of that.

Covington's primary value is as a passing lane menace with deflections and in traffic with his reach and quick hands. He doesn't have the lateral quicks or the size to match up one-on-one with quicker players or fend off post-ups from bigger forwards.

All that being said, there's enough value in what he does well to make him a solid defensive-minded starter who doesn't constantly demand the ball or dribble away the shot clock. He's a gamer, good character guy too. And that's a pretty good player.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

21. Likes:

BillDoran (11-18-2020),M2 (11-18-2020),Revering4Blue (11-18-2020)

Turn Off Ads?