Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Re: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He wouldn't fit D'Antoni's pace.
    I'm sure other teams would offer to help them out of that dilemma.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm sure other teams would offer to help them out of that dilemma.
    Absolutely. Sabonis operating out of the high post as a distributor is the norm now.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    No thanks on D’Antoni and Vic by all accounts is pushing his way out of Indiana.
    Victor's been downplaying those rumors lately. Then again, Paul George also downplayed such rumors just days before he publicly forced his way out of Indiana.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    trust me, it brings me no pleasure in speaking out for anyone in the Ball family....I just see no other likely elite talent in this draft...or very little of it. To be clear, are you suggesting that you do not think LaMelo will be drafted in the Top 3ish?
    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't think either the T-Wolves or the Warriors can afford his level of sabotage. The Hornets might. If somebody's got a LaMelo compulsion, perhaps they'll trade up for the pick (the Knicks remain my guess). FWIW, I don't think there's an elite talent in this draft.
    I still maintain that LaMelo will not fall past 3 to Charlotte. And if selected at 2 or 3, it's assuredly a sign that either the Warriors or Hornets are moving down and LaMelo has been selected on behalf of another team.

And it goes without saying that trading up for Ball or trading for Westbrook both have the Knicks written all over them.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I still maintain that LaMelo will not fall past 3 to Charlotte. And if selected at 2 or 3, it's assuredly a sign that either the Warriors or Hornets are moving down and LaMelo has been selected on behalf of another team.
    I can see a trade up or Charlotte taking him, but he strikes me as an extremely acquired taste.

And it goes without saying that trading up for Ball or trading for Westbrook both have the Knicks written all over them.
    I could see the Knicks doing both.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Puffy (10-27-2020)

For the record, I like dealing for Westbrook, assuming the cost isn't prohibitive. The Knicks need a ball-dominant alpha more than any team in the NBA.

Westbrook is worth the overpay pretty much only for the Knicks.

Put him at PG and let the team revolve around him. Barrett becomes more effective as a wing driver/ distributor/ secondary ball handler. Robinson as a pick man would be lethal. Shooters would be more open and more likely to make those shots. Just as importantly, he becomes the fulcrum of the offense-- which is important to him. New York looks capable (for the most part). Westbrook garners all sorts of All-Star and All-NBA nods. The Knicks might then be able to grab a second star to pair with him.

He checks a lot of boxes

Otherwise, the Knicks would have to develop a star or convince one to sign with... no one on their roster. Or more likely, overpay someone like Randle or Portis to come try be The Man. (You can see how that went this season.)
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 10-20-2020 at 09:03 AM.

This offseason, I find those vets that can still ball but probably looking at a MLE or less most interesting. They could have a massive impact on the upcoming season....more so than I can recall in recent seasons due to the limited cap space this offseason. If you are one of these guys, the gap between what a team with cap space can pay you and the MLE may not be great, and I think in that situation, the contender will win out. Where will guys like Dragic, Ibaka, Marcus Morris and Milsap land? Evan a guy like Gallanari may be in the market to take a little less to contend?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-21-2020)

One thing that could make this offseason more exciting is the expected flattening/reduction of the salary cap in the 20-21 & 21-22 season because many teams had planned on trying to get to max cap space in the summer of 2021 for a guy like Giannis....but if the cap does not increase as expected, it pretty much takes many of those teams out of the picture like the Lakers for example. They may be more inclined to spend this offseason on multi year deals and accept they will not be players in the following offseason to improve their odds during the AD/Lebron window. If that is the case, I think it could be possible for the Lakers to do something like...

- resign AD (Bird Rights)
    - resign KCP (Bird Rights)
    - resign Dwight Howard using the bi-annual exception
    - resign Rondo (Early Bird rights)
    - use the MLE on the best player possible....Dragic? Gallanari?
    - convince Cousins to resign for vet minimum
    - trade McGee
    - consider deals for Kuzma
    - if you have the roster space, resign Dudley...apparently he was a huge presence in the locker room kind of serving as Lebrons "General" in the locker room, and taking that part off his shoulders.

That team would contend.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Sources: Indiana Pacers to hire Nate Bjorkgren as head coach

The Indiana Pacers have agreed to a multiyear deal to hire Toronto Raptors assistant Nate Bjorkgren as their head coach, sources told ESPN.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Victor's been downplaying those rumors lately. Then again, Paul George also downplayed such rumors just days before he publicly forced his way out of Indiana.
    Vic is a brand now, he has followed some really bad advice.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-20-2020)

I’m happy with this selection.

Better to possibly uncover the next Nick Nurse than go with another retread - especially one that would likely push to solve the ‘problem’ with playing Sabonis and Turner together, which is a totally false narrative and an insane idea anyway.

16. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-27-2020),M2 (10-20-2020),redsfanmia (10-21-2020)

“There are people in this world who bring energy and you like being around them," Pritchard said after introducing Bjorkgren on a Zoom call. “I think the litmus test is when those guys call you, you can’t wait to pick up the phone. Nate has those characteristics, and when he went through his presentation he created a vision that I could physically see in my mind how he was going to coach. We knew he was the right guy."
    Nate? Wasn't that last Pacers coach?

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-21-2020)

Stan Van Gundy signs on to coach the Pelicans.

Odd choice, IMO. Really, really odd.

My guess is that they see Zion Williamson as the next Dwight Howard and want to grow that particular skillset.

If that's NOLA's thinking, I think they should aim higher.

20. Likes:

M2 (10-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Stan Van Gundy signs on to coach the Pelicans.

Odd choice, IMO. Really, really odd.

My guess is that they see Zion Williamson as the next Dwight Howard and want to grow that particular skillset.

If that's NOLA's thinking, I think they should aim higher.
    I was thinking along the lines of a hybrid Dwight Howard/Blake Griffin - and the fact that SVG has coached both of them - as a possible skilset comparison.

I, too, am surprised by the choice, as this coaching gig seemed to have D'Antoni or Atkinson written all over it.

Nevertheless, at the very least, SVG should at least be able to get the Pels to play competent defense (if not eventually top 10 in the league) without slowing the offense to a crawl - A recipe, assuming Griffin continues to accumulate more talent for the Pels' roster, for moving the Pels not only into the playoffs, but (again, not overnight) out of thy dreaded treadmill. Remember, SVG is only coaching, not acting as GM, so the onus, once again, is on Griffin to improve the roster.

Really surprised by SVG. I think he has did a solid job at certain points in the past, but he does not feel like the right fit for this roster.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Turn Off Ads?