Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I don't know. Both Wall and Cousins are wild cards at this point. I'd bet on either being out of the league in a few years before making an All Star squad. Cousins is 30 and hasn't played more than 48 games in a season since 2017. Same idea with Wall. Also 30, he's played 73 games over the past three seasons. Both were great at Kentucky and shined early in the NBA, but the bloom is off the rose. They're just some dudes now (and Wall comes with almost $130 million due over the next three years).
    Oddly enough I think Wall and Harden will compliment each other well. Wall has looked strong per reports. Cousins is a wild card but if he痴 75% of the player he was in New Orleans he値l be worth it.

If they go with a Wall/Gordon/Harden/Cousins/Wood lineup that値l be fun to see.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 12-02-2020 at 09:15 PM.

2. Likes:

BillDoran (12-02-2020),Revering4Blue (12-02-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Oddly enough I think Wall and Harden will compliment each other well. Wall has looked strong per reports. Cousins is a wild card but if he’s 75% of the player he was in New Orleans he’ll be worth it.

If they go with a Wall/Gordon/Harden/Cousins/Wood lineup that’ll be fun to see.
    That lineup is intriguing. Hadn't heard the reports on Wall's rehab, and last I saw him he was looking awful puffy. Hope it works out in Houston, because they are certainly pot committed on contracts.

I kind of like Russ and Beal as a pairing. They certainly won't be boring. DC could be a bit of a sleeper team in the East. Certainly seem like a leading contender for that 7-10 play-in game mix.
    Last edited by M2; 12-02-2020 at 11:30 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Left to avoid COVID on their own even after an incredibly intense training about avoiding it, 8% of the NBA players just tested positive. This is going to be a disaster....the teams that win the most games will be the ones that avoid COVID the best.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

If they go with a Wall/Gordon/Harden/Cousins/Wood lineup that’ll be fun to see.
    What's interesting is its ability to score at every position and at every spot on the court. None of the guys they have are knockdown shooters, but all of them-- with the exception of Wall (who's still a much better shooter than Westbrook)-- are good enough and willing enough that you have to respect that shot. And they will take them in bunches, I'm guessing. I'm curious how the offense will work. Wall will want to push tempo early, and Wood and House should get quite a bit of run (and a few easy buckets) running to the rim. That'll set up Harden and perhaps Cousins for secondary break opportunities against a stretched defense.

Pick and rolls are going to be lethal. Cousins is an extremely underrated pick setter-- it's one of his hidden skills-- and Wall and Harden are both next-gen play makers with heads of steam. I'm guessing Rocket fans are going to see that high pick and roll (at the top of the three-point line) over and over, especially late in possessions. Five-out offense? Almost for sure. And what's more, the rebounding shouldn't suffer. Both Wood and Cousins are elite space rebounders (if Wood's small samples and Cousin's health are excepted), as are Harden and Wall from their respective positions. They'll be nearly impossible to trap, as they have two exceptional play makers, plus Cousins and Gordon-- two excellent and willing passers and ball handlers.

What's questionable is how they'll defend. Or, more to the point, if they'll defend. Wall can be a lockdown defender, but he was lackadaisical at best his last couple of seasons in DC, and he's getting a bit older. Cousins is (much) better than he gets credit for, but he's lumbering, awkward, and oftentimes lazy defensively. Wood isn't lockdown as a big-- and he struggled in Detroit last season defending wings in space. Harden takes plays off too. The bench will help in that regard-- and Eric Gordon will have to It's an ultra-talented YMCA squad, basically-- they're going to try to outscore you.

Yet, this team is built for the playoffs (assuming it remains intact). Cousins defending Jokic or Gasol or even Wiseman? That's doable. Wood on AD, Green, or Porter? If I'm Houston, I can live with that. Harden played LeBron credibly last year (and has for years) and should be able to keep up with whatever Oubre or the Barton can do. Wall can go all death bomb on Dennis Schroder again, as an added bonus. Gordon can defend Murray, then hand him off to Wall, who has the quickness and strength to keep up with him and the athleticism to still bother his shots.

Mostly, I love that Houston is trying something brand new on the fly, fearless in the face of Harden's desire to escape. There's the question of if he'll buy in, of course, but I hope he will. This team is better now than it was at the end of the year. Significantly so, IMO.

8. Likes:

Rojo Rijo (12-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I kind of like Russ and Beal as a pairing. They certainly won't be boring. DC could be a bit of a sleeper team in the East. Certainly seem like a leading contender for that 7-10 play-in game mix.
    There's a narrative that Westbrook will lay waste to most Eastern Conference point guards, but who's going to struggle with his physicality? Milwaukee has Holiday (and Giannis inside). Boston has Smart. Philly has Simmons, who's a next-gen 6'10" Westbrook without the propensity to clank bricks from 28 feet. Miami has Jimmy Butler. Even Toronto has Kyle Lowry, who's strong enough to keep Westbrook relatively in check.

Kyrie may struggle with his sheer force of will. Orlando? Sure. Cole Anthony and Markelle Fultz could well struggle to contain him. Charlotte will be hopeless against him, but they're hopeless against everybody. Atlanta probably won't be able to stop him, but they haven't defended anyone well for a decade? Chicago? Pssshht. Who cares?

Don't get me wrong. I'm looking forward to the inevitable Marcus Smart/ Westbrook fistfight-- and the Joel Embiid cheap shot that sends Westbrook flying into the stands. (Or the Westbrook cheap shot that sends Embiid to the floor in pain and to Instagram for a snarky comment.) But the idea that Westbrook's going to run roughshod over the East's weak sister PGs is overblown, IMO. He'll be what he's always been-- big stats guy, near triple double guy who loses multiple games in the playoffs nearly by himself and wins others in the same fashion. In the worst of all worlds, he's what he was in last year's playoffs.

And DC already has issues guarding people. Beal's not going to do the heavy lifting, for sure. Bertans isn't built for it. Nor is Thomas Bryant (who might actually struggle with Westbrook as his primary PG). I'm struggling to see how this move make the Wiz a playoff team more than pass-first John Wall would have.

No one really knows what John Wall will be when he comes back. Russ is much more known quantity. Top 10 make the playoffs this year. The Wiz finished 9th last season and they're unquestionably better on paper now than they were last season.

And DC definitely won't be playing defense. Their games are going to be frenetic. I don't expect Russ to dominate every PG in the East, but Russ and Beal are going to put up some serious volume numbers. It'll be a high wire season and probably a high wire play-in game and then possibly a high wire playoff series. Are they a serious contender? No, but I dare you to look away.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    No one really knows what John Wall will be when he comes back. Russ is much more known quantity. Top 10 make the playoffs this year. The Wiz finished 9th last season and they're unquestionably better on paper now than they were last season.

And DC definitely won't be playing defense. Their games are going to be frenetic. I don't expect Russ to dominate every PG in the East, but Russ and Beal are going to put up some serious volume numbers. It'll be a high wire season and probably a high wire play-in game and then possibly a high wire playoff series. Are they a serious contender? No, but I dare you to look away.
    Kinda how I feel about it. I look forward to all the 160-158 games. Like you say, the Wiz at least won't be boring and when you spend most years not being relevant, that counts for something. And an underrated aspect of all this is the Wizards simply not getting ravaged in a trade. That's a step up from the Grunfeld era and gives me some hope.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

12. Likes:

M2 (12-03-2020),Revering4Blue (12-04-2020)

Wizards' rotation right now would include: Beal, Westbrook, Betrans, Deni Avdija, Rui Hachimura, Robin Lopez, Thomas Bryant, Ish Smith and Mo Wagner?

Assuming Westbrook doesn't walk all over Beal, those pieces seem like they could work well together. Some real shooting. Some playmaking. Need some more legitimate size and depth, but that's a team that could fight its way into the second tier of the East.

Worth noting that Russ and Scott Brooks know each other quite well from their seven seasons together in OKC. If Brooks signed off or encouraged the deal, all the more reason to be excited.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 12-03-2020 at 11:44 AM.

I am impressed with the optimism on this board for the Wall-Rockets and Russ-Bullets fits. Collectively, i sense the wish to see more teams playing good basketball, rather than looking for potential problems.
    I am no fan of Wall’s selfish and lazy game and Russ’s ball dominant stat chasing game but if they look in the mirror and see that the change in scenery was due to certain aspects of their games, they definitely have the talent and athleticism to modify their games to play winning baseketball.
    The biggest adjustment is to stop shooting 3s so much, when they can’t make them at an acceptable level.
    I do wonder if Houston and Wash. really want to compete, or if these moves are parts of rebuilding plans for both.
    Last edited by Betterread; 12-03-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I am impressed with the optimism on this board for the Wall-Rockets and Russ-Bullets fits. Collectively, i sense the wish to see more teams playing good basketball, rather than looking for potential problems.
    I am no fan of Wall’s selfish and lazy game and Russ’s ball dominant stat chasing game but if they look in the mirror and see that the change in scenery was due to certain aspects of their games, they definitely have the talent and athleticism to modify their games to play winning baseketball.
    The biggest adjustment is to stop shooting 3s so much, when they can’t make them at an acceptable level.
    I do wonder if Houston and Wash. really want to compete, or if they this is a part of a rebuilding plan.
    I'm with you on the bearishness. Both Wall and Russ are likely on the downside of their careers. In order for their teams to be successful, both will need to accept second banana status (which...).

However, both the Wizards and Rockets are all-in. They don't have much choice. Both have two enormous contracts around their necks. The Russ-Wall swap was effectively cost neutral (2+player option at ~$42 million per for both). I don't know how good either team will be, but they're paying for two stars. Might as well try to fill in the rest of the roster as best you can.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    That lineup is intriguing. Hadn't heard the reports on Wall's rehab, and last I saw him he was looking awful puffy. Hope it works out in Houston, because they are certainly pot committed on contracts.
    Ummm, excuse me???? I don't make fun of your looks, do I?
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

17. Likes:

BillDoran (12-03-2020),M2 (12-03-2020),Revering4Blue (12-04-2020),texasdave (12-03-2020)

My knowledge of Walls health is limited to his recent scrimmages at Zormelo runs where he has looked good and very much in shape.

Houston just needs to focus on making Wall and Harden gel. If they end up in a situation where the option of playing them together is 1a and 1b is more lineup/rest management where they don稚 play together it may work well in the regular season but they値l be no higher than a 5 seed max and they値l struggle to get through a tough 2nd rd matchup.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 12-03-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Aminu nowhere near return per reports and Bamba is still dealing with COVID 19 symptoms from a June diagnosis. Add no Isaac for this year on top of that and the only thing I知 excited about is Cole Anthony and getting a bottom 3 finish to have the best lotto odds at the #1 pick

Oh and maybe we値l finally cash in some value on somebody at the TDL. Vuc, AG, Fournier trades, any would be music to my ears.

20. Likes:

M2 (12-03-2020),Revering4Blue (12-04-2020)

Aminu nowhere near return per reports and Bamba is still dealing with COVID 19 symptoms from a June diagnosis. Add no Isaac for this year on top of that and the only thing I’m excited about is Cole Anthony and getting a bottom 3 finish to have the best lotto odds at the #1 pick

Oh and maybe we’ll finally cash in some value on somebody at the TDL. Vuc, AG, Fournier trades, any would be music to my ears.
    Yeah, Aminu had a setback from the January surgery and just had another procedure this week. That's the toughest part about COVID, rehabs are monitored poorly compared to normal. Like Wall, Zach Collins and others who basically have mutliple missed years in a row, nobody knows what they're going to get,and the older they are the bigger the dropoff in production should occur with the older guys never ever getting close to what they used to be.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 12-03-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?