Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Re: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Rando thought on Harden, Chicago might be a good fit for him. Major market desperate for a return to prominence. I don't think Houston's going to get a knock-'em-dead offer, so Zach LaVine and Lauri Markkanen might be as good a haul as they could get from anyone. The Bulls aren't going to win immediately, but they'd present a situation like what LeBron walked into with the Lakers - intriguing young players to keep or to trade, salary space opening in the coming years to add another stud or two. It's a spot where a team can form around him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Rando thought on Harden, Chicago might be a good fit for him. Major market desperate for a return to prominence. I don't think Houston's going to get a knock-'em-dead offer, so Zach LaVine and Lauri Markkanen might be as good a haul as they could get from anyone. The Bulls aren't going to win immediately, but they'd present a situation like what LeBron walked into with the Lakers - intriguing young players to keep or to trade, salary space opening in the coming years to add another stud or two. It's a spot where a team can form around him.
    If I’m Houston in a deal with Chicago I’m asking for Coby White to be a part of the package.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    If I’m Houston in a deal with Chicago I’m asking for Coby White to be a part of the package.
    I'd be asking for all their kids. Yet I suspect Houston's going to get a lot of pushback unless Philly jumps in with Ben Simmons. LaVine (25.5 PPG) and Markkanen (a big with some shooting range) seems like a better upper end than what the Nets can put on the table.
    Last edited by M2; 12-10-2020 at 01:36 AM.

I think the shine is off the Chevy down here in Houston with regards to James Harden. The neighborhood kids were playing some street ball yesterday, when I heard one of the kids call him Fartin' James Harden. Kids know these things.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I think the shine is off the Chevy down here in Houston with regards to James Harden. The neighborhood kids were playing some street ball yesterday, when I heard one of the kids call him Fartin' James Harden. Kids know these things.
    I do wonder if Harden isn't employing the Dick Allen process of making things so uncomfortable that the team feels like it has to trade him.

Things could get ugly for Harden in Houston-- especially if the rest of the team looks pretty good early.

They may be able to survive as a playoff team without him-- at least early. The team is filled with veterans, most of whom have a ton of experience in big games and big moments. And the lineup is sneaky capable around a good facilitator. Gordon at the two with Wall works pretty well, assuming Gordon is back to hitting 37% of his jumpers. Wall's a wildcard, but all reports so far are positive. He's apparently in great shape and flying up and down the court. Cousins is in shape, according to tweets from H-Town. Wood as a PF works well (with Tucker available as well) with both athleticism and stretching the floor. Putting House or Sterling Brown out there as a 3-and-D sniper and as the primary beneficiary of those wide-open looks Porter and Beal had in DC wouldn't be the worst idea. That team has depth enough-- McLemore is a good shooter, if a terrible defender, Brown or House at the wing, Tucker as a big-- to withstand small injuries or foul trouble.

Their schedule should really help them ramp up. It sets them up remarkably well for the first month of the season-- two games with the Lakers, one with the Blazers, one with the Pacers, and a couple with the Mavs are the only playoff squads they face between the beginning of the season and 1/28. (I discount OKC because they're unlikely to be competitive this season.) A .500 or better record and a spot in the West hierarchy should be attainable, at the least.

It all depends on health, but isn't that true of nearly every team in the league at this point?

Portland's schedule to begin the season:

UTA
    HOU
    @LAL
    @LAC
    @GSW
    @GSW
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I'm trying to make a Heat/ Houston trade palatable from both sides without including Adebayo, but it's tough sledding.

What about Tyler Herro, Duncan Robinson, Precious Achiuwa, Chris Silva, Andre Iguodala, Kelly Olynyk, and two first round picks for Harden?

That's just not enough, is it?

Does it have to be Bam and Herro (plus more)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm trying to make a Heat/ Houston trade palatable from both sides without including Adebayo, but it's tough sledding.

What about Tyler Herro, Duncan Robinson, Precious Achiuwa, Chris Silva, Andre Iguodala, Kelly Olynyk, and two first round picks for Harden?

That's just not enough, is it?

Does it have to be Bam and Herro (plus more)?
    Herro, Robinson and Achiuwa would be a nice haul. That's one potential star (Herro) plus a dead-eye shooter and a young bruiser. My question is whether the Heat want to do that. Harden doesn't seem like a personality fit for that organization.

Herro, Robinson and Achiuwa would be a nice haul. That's one potential star (Herro) plus a dead-eye shooter and a young bruiser. My question is whether the Heat want to do that. Harden doesn't seem like a personality fit for that organization.
    It'd be a heckuva gamble, but a Big Three of Harden, Butler, and Bam is the best in the East and arguably the best in the NBA. ESPN has all three within their top 15 guys in the league (13, 12, and 9). That's enough to be the favorites in the East and a matchup nightmare for any team who might have to play them.

So, I suppose Harden is telling Seth, "Keep my seat warm".
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Kyrie just responded to his NBA fine for not talking to the media: “I do not talk to pawns”. He just made it a lot worse for his image. Why doesn’t he just get some media training? He can afford it. Or is he arrogant?
    When arrogant people display their lack of respect so clearly, it signals their own sense of powerlessness in something.
    I think he is feeling the pressure of expectations for this year’s Nets team.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Kyrie just responded to his NBA fine for not talking to the media: “I do not talk to pawns”. He just made it a lot worse for his image. Why doesn’t he just get some media training? He can afford it. Or is he arrogant?
    When arrogant people display their lack of respect so clearly, it signals their own sense of powerlessness in something.
    I think he's just kinda stupid and likes to hear himself pontificate.

The flat earth stuff, then doubling down on it. (Twice.) Saying he would have to adjust his game (and didn't really want to) when LeBron came back to Cleveland. The co-coaches comment about he, Nash, and Durant (and the one where he said he helped Stevens coach in Boston). The internet-isn't-real conversation when he got caught talking about free agency with Durant. Comparing himself to Nikola Tesla and other misunderstood geniuses. The New Age-y conspiracy theory stuff. Insisting steak isn't natural. Hating on multiple holidays (Christmas and Thanksgiving).

It's a lot.

This is the next thing.

Jimmy Butler would watch one exhibition of Harden dribbling out 23 seconds of shot clock only to take a step back off-balance 40-foot three pointer. Just one.

Harden would never see the basketball again while Butler was on the court.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

15. Likes:

M2 (12-11-2020),Revering4Blue (12-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    His orbit keeps getting more erratic. It would not surprise me if he walks out of a game at some point and never plays again.

Robert Covington will be as impactual to the '20-'23 (hopefully, '25) Portland Trailblazers teams as Buck Williams was to the '89-'92 Trailblazers teams. Derrick Jones will fill the Kersey role. Melo will play the Uncle Cliffy role this season.

Gary Trent, Jr. isn't going to sign an extension which would have given him $42M over 4 years, but will go all-in on himself as an RFA next season.

Logo Lillard has said he's going to be Half-Court Lillard as he'll launch them regularly when the feeling is right.

Go Blazers!!!

All the way to the NBA Finals!

Turn Off Ads?