Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Re: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The problem is that almost everyone is over the cap. There are only five or six teams who have any room at all.

They have to let Whitehead go to have any room at all. if they re-sign him, I think they're hard-capped (or right up against it). Ditto Hood. He'll earn less, no doubt and may be a relative bargain, but at the level they're at, Portland needs the nickels. (To be fair, I'm not a cap expert. This could be completely wrong and they could well end up being able to spend tens of millions due to some arcane heretofore unknown loophole.)

Were I Portland, I'd go full-on veteran and pin some hopes on a guy like Paul Millsap. He's toasted, but smart and can help a team just by being a good glue guy and corner shooter. Maybe Bobby Portis would get it done instead. He had a horrible season in New York and won't cost much. Maybe Dion Waiters as a wing? I think Isiah Hartenstein could end up being pretty productive, given minutes. Patrick Patterson might be a guy too.
    Might be able to do a sign-and-swap with Whiteside (tell the truth, you were thinking Jerome Whitehead). If somebody wants a big and has a wing/stretch 4 to send in the other direction, that might do the trick.

The can let Whiteside, Melo and Ariza walk and be slightly under $100M. They also have about $11M in trade exceptions. It would take creativity and I'm not sure that's really Olshey's strength, but maybe he'll get drunk on a Zoom call with Daryl Morey, who'll start randomly generating trade ideas.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I suspect the reasoning behind Dec. 22 is they want that to become the league's new start date.

As for your team, you can't seriously be counting on Collins and post-Achilles Hood to make major contributions. Even you can't be hankering for gruel that thin. After a season of trying to talk yourself into Melo wouldn't you prefer it if they got Dame a forward who's actually good? I can't imagine you'd be anything other than thrilled by that.
    Both Hood and Collins are better than Melo right now in their careers. Hood isn't going anywhere. Whiteside is gone. No sign-and-trade, just free agency. No interest in bringing him back. The only question is if Jody Allen lets Olshey keep Ariza.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Both Hood and Collins are better than Melo right now in their careers. Hood isn't going anywhere. Whiteside is gone. No sign-and-trade, just free agency. No interest in bringing him back. The only question is if Jody Allen lets Olshey keep Ariza.
    Better than Melo is a super low bar, though I'm not sure what post-Achilles Hood is going to be (especially because pre-Achilles Hood was sort of blah). And I'll stick with wannabe Daniel Theis for a Zac Collins comp. Yet I repeat, don't you want a good forward? You can't enjoy hoping they can milk C+ seasons from C- players.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Charlotte needs scoring, height, and wing help. If one of Edwards or Wiseman falls to them, that's a great start. They can grab complementary help with the 32nd and 56th picks. They're in a great spot-- if either of the first two picks is Ball. If both of those guys are picked, I'd grab Okongwu and look for scoring elsewhere (and elsewhen).

They might also look to trade up-- I suspect the Warriors would love to take a crack at the riddle that is Malik Monk. Add PJ Washington and both picks this season. Is that enough for Andrew Wiggins and the 3rd pick? I suspect it might be. Golden State could save monster cash (more than $30M this season alone, due to salary cap overages) and still have talent enough to compete in the West. Charlotte would get the scorer they need plus pick second. Add Wiggins and Wiseman and they may have enough firepower to play in the East.
    If either Edwards, Wiseman or Okongwu are still on the board, I suspect Charlotte will either hold at #3 and gladly select whomever is left of the three.

At this point, I have the following scenario playing out:

1) Minnesota - Unable to find a trading down scenario to their liking, 'Wolves grab Okongwu, who instantly improves the team, as his presence allows KAT to be, well, KAT.

2) Golden State - Their are murmurs that the Warriors are enamored with Deni Avdija, but I'll believe that they'll select him over Edwards, Wiseman or Okongwu if and when it happens, Wiseman's the pick.

3) Charlotte - Edwards it is, followed by the latter selections of:

- Udoka Azubuike at #32, following your previous mock draft advice.

- PG Ashton Hagans at 56.

That would be a some draft for the Hornets, who badly need one.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Hood has a $6 Million Player Option that I assume he takes given the circumstances. Hezonja also has a $2 Million PO that he will accept. The question I have with Portland is what do they do with Ariza? He is $12.8 Million against the cap if the keep him, but his contract is only partially guaranteed for $1.8 Million if they let him go. Under the old cap rules, where the non-guaranteed part counted in trades, that contract would be gold in a trade.
    I think it's going to depend upon who's available at #16 for the 'Blazers. If the top 3-and-D candidates are off the board, Portland will go with pure value here - possibly, Maryland PF/C Jalen Smith a Myles Turner play-alike, who assuredly will still be on the board if Boston passes on him at #14 - and will find a way to retain Ariza.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

(tell the truth, you were thinking Jerome Whitehead)
    I'll take the blame for that. After all, I'm the one who brought up the subject of solid rotational players that the Sterling era Clippers allowed to get away from them, and the late Jerome Whitehead was one of them.

8. Likes:

M2 (10-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I'll take the blame for that. After all, I'm the one who brought up the subject of solid rotational players that the Sterling era Clippers allowed to get away from them, and the late Jerome Whitehead was one of them.
    The Marquette team he was on was also one of the most fun college teams ever.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-26-2020)

Saw this and it made me ache for live games. Best. Halftime. Show. Ever.

(tell the truth, you were thinking Jerome Whitehead).
    I do this more and more nowadays.

I've called Michael Lorenzen Jared at least five times.

I've called Devin Booker Corey at least three times. (Once when it actually made sense.)

I may eventually call Joe Crawford "Joan", who knows?

13. Likes:

M2 (10-26-2020),Revering4Blue (10-26-2020)

I may eventually call Joe Crawford "Joan", who knows?

15. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (10-26-2020),Revering4Blue (10-26-2020),texasdave (10-26-2020)

Better than Melo is a super low bar, though I'm not sure what post-Achilles Hood is going to be (especially because pre-Achilles Hood was sort of blah). And I'll stick with wannabe Daniel Theis for a Zac Collins comp. Yet I repeat, don't you want a good forward? You can't enjoy hoping they can milk C+ seasons from C- players.
    Most her feel Colllins is a B+ player based on what we have seen.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The feeling here is that Jody Allen is more interested in saving the money and tax penalty money (can't do anything about getting under the tax) than picking up Ariza's option. But, she's as mysterious as her brother was. Nobody knows at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Most her feel Colllins is a B+ player based on what we have seen.
    Maybe on a kindergarten grading scale. I'll say it again, Daniel Theis wannabe.

Maybe on a kindergarten grading scale. I'll say it again, Daniel Theis wannabe.
    not sure if you are serious, but I would take a 22 year old 6'11" Collins over a 28 year old 6'8" Theis every day of the week. I do not think Collins has an All Star team in his future but I do think he has another level or two to go as his game and body continue to develop.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    not sure if you are serious, but I would take a 22 year old 6'11" Collins over a 28 year old 6'8" Theis every day of the week. I do not think Collins has an All Star team in his future but I do think he has another level or two to go as his game and body continue to develop.
    If you wanted to win a basketball game in 2020 you'd take Theis. Theis currently is a much better player, superior numbers across the board. If Collins develops, and that's a big if, then maybe he becomes a switchable, small ball 5. He's not particularly switchable at the moment and skill players can roast him off the dribble when they get him out on the perimeter. If he gets bulkier and slower, then he might as well be named Plumlee or Zeller.
    Last edited by M2; 10-27-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Turn Off Ads?