Turn Off Ads?
Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 LastLast

Thread: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Re: NBA Post Bubble - Draft & Offseason

Millsap is rejuvenated. They are not going to miss Grant one bit.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Didn't help that Nurkic waited too long to get to POR causing him to miss all three practices. Commitment level needs to be better than that.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quickley looks like the best PG on the Knicks roster atm. Which is weird cuz I didn't really peg him as a PG coming out of college, more just a shooter/slasher. If I were coaching the Knicks he'd be in my opening night starting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Quickley looks like the best PG on the Knicks roster atm. Which is weird cuz I didn't really peg him as a PG coming out of college, more just a shooter/slasher. If I were coaching the Knicks he'd be in my opening night starting lineup.
    With Barrett and Randle the primary ball handlers and playmakers, you can get away with a combo guard as your erstwhile PG.

Quickley's in an interesting spot. He'll get all the opportunity in the world while his team is getting their brains bashed in night after night. If he can learn and not lose his confidence, his shot might be good enough for the former Kentucky guard to carve out a solid career as a second division starter with an outside shot at more. What was very interesting was his defense. He ate Sexton's lunch all night long-- the Cavs' "best" player went 2-11 with four assists and three TOs on the night for which Quickley was directly responsible (three of his five steals on the night). If he can play at a similar level defensively, he could well be the steal of the draft. And he's in the right place for defense to matter. For all his offensive ineptitude, Thibs is a defensive mastermind. If someone's putting in work on that end, he'll live with the ups and downs of shooting slumps.

What will help Quickley (and other New York wings and guards) is that Noel and Robinson are on the back line. They can gamble for steals, recover to help, and maybe steal a few possessions banking on the shot blocking of their centers. (Thibs' past preference is for guards and wings to pressure the ball constantly.) That suits Quickley's long arms and quick hands to a tee. He'll get beat (not the quickest of feet) athletically occasionally, but he's always in position to make plays.

That said, no one in New York will look as good as they did last night for the entire year. It's so Knicks to have their best game of the season when it doesn't count. They so desperately need shooting. You could live with Barrett as the primary offense initiator if he had 40% shooters from deep surrounding him. Instead, those guys are closer to 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Really have to thank Denver for taking Portland to the Woodshed on back-to-back games. So much film to embarrass the players about...all of them. Stotts is pissed. As mad as you'll ever see him. He called a timeout after a Jokic dunk, and got into Nurk's face. Blazers responded with C.J. three, Nurk steal and DJJ three.

Malone gets mad all the time. He called timeout and Harris committee an Offensive foul immediately, followed by a Tech on Harris for whining.
    Amazing how Stotts totally outcoached his opposing number while the Blazers were busy losing by 30.

But he's playing the long game.

Name:  4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.h473.w710.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  74.1 KB

Here's a deep cut: I really like Isiah Hartenstein as a player. He plays hard and smart. He doesn't beat himself. Not very good defensively, but he already understands what to do offensively. He's also got a little playmaker inside of him and rebounds voraciously. He needs to add length to his jumper, and he's a relatively poor rim protector, but I could see him develop into a solid pro. 20 years ago, he might have been an All-Star.

As a die hard Lakers fan, I hope I am wrong....but I think there will not be much mystery about this season if Lebron and AD are healthy. The Lakers are just better than everyone else, and they are very deep this year. I think they may coast a little in the season, but I do not see much hope for any other team in the playoffs.

Also, Anthony Davis is the best all around player in the NBA.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Preseason isn't a terribly useful way to evaluate teams. Hard to see the big picture when so many guys are being rotated into the mix. We can see if a given player looks good or is off his game, though even that can turn on a dime once the games start to count. This is probably an even more unreliable preseason than most given how short it is. That said, can't like it if your team is getting stomped. Teams like Boston and Portland need to find the on switch, and quickly.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Preseason isn't a terribly useful way to evaluate teams. Hard to see the big picture when so many guys are being rotated into the mix. We can see if a given player looks good or is off his game, though even that can turn on a dime once the games start to count. This is probably an even more unreliable preseason than most given how short it is. That said, can't like it if your team is getting stomped. Teams like Boston and Portland need to find the on switch, and quickly.
    So true.

But when you say Boston And Portland need to turn on the switch, what do you expect from them?
    In your allteam analysis, you identified 3 teams as pure title contenders: LAL. Mil., and Denver. Do you think Boston and Portland are in their class if the switch is on?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    So true.

But when you say Boston And Portland need to turn on the switch, what do you expect from them?
    In your allteam analysis, you identified 3 teams as pure title contenders: LAL. Mil., and Denver. Do you think Boston and Portland are in their class if the switch is on?
    If everyone's healthy, Boston's got a shot, at least theoretically. Tatum and Brown both need to keep moving forward. Their mission should be finish first in the conference and then make the finals. I'm not saying they'll achieve it, but that's got to be where their thinking is if they want this group to hang some more banners at some point. A lumpy start puts them in a scrum of other teams fighting for seeding in those top six slots. The very top teams in the East are probably going to win something like 15 of their first 20 games. It's go time for the Celtics.

Portland's basically defined its ceiling as a gatekeeper team. I don't think they're a serious contender, but they definitely want to get one of those top six slots and then see how far their form at playoff time takes them. They might have more leeway in the West in that there's so many teams in the hunt that we should see some dramatic shifts in the standings during the season, and it might take longer to stratify. So maybe a slow start won't put them too far back. What that team wants to avoid is being in (or fighting to be in) the play-in slots.

On what the Blazers displayed the last two games, there's no switch to be turned on. Practice is the only thing that's going to help them figure this out. Though Lillard and C.J. have been there a long time, everyone else is either brand new or has only started or had significant games with them in a half a season to a full season of games, including Nurkic, Trent, Hood, Zach, Melo, Kanter and Simons. They need practices. They'll ge three, and with so many Veterans on the team, hopfully that's enough to get them a win Opening Night versus Utah.

On what the Blazers displayed the last two games, there's no switch to be turned on. Practice is the only thing that's going to help them figure this out. Though Lillard and C.J. have been there a long time, everyone else is either brand new or has only started or had significant games with them in a half a season to a full season of games, including Nurkic, Trent, Hood, Zach, Melo, Kanter and Simons. They need practices. They'll ge three, and with so many Veterans on the team, hopfully that's enough to get them a win Opening Night versus Utah.
    They need to play defense.

They need to play defense.
    They need to at least act like they are trying.

16. Likes:

M2 (12-20-2020),Revering4Blue (12-21-2020)

Millsap is rejuvenated. They are not going to miss Grant one bit.
    The guy who I think is going to pick up a lot of Grant's slack is JaMychal Green. Though Michael Porter Jr. is the one who can give the Nuggets a three-headed offensive monster.
    Last edited by M2; 12-20-2020 at 06:15 PM.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-21-2020)

The guy who I think is going to pick up a lot of Grant's slack is JaMychal Green. Though Michael Porter Jr. is the one who can give the Nuggest at three-headed offensive monster.
    I think they'll end up with Barton, Murray, Fauco, Joker, and Porter as their closing lineup.

Turn Off Ads?