Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RIP Sid Hartman, as legendary as any sports legend can get.

RIP Sid Hartman, as legendary as any sports legend can get.

All Hartman did was develop the first NBA dynasty when he became General Manager of the Minneapolis Lakers in1947 at the age of 27. When he died October 18th, a column of an interview with Adam Thielen was published in the Star Tribune. He had over 21,000 bylines when he turned 100 in March of this year. He has been the voice of Minnesota sports for 75 years. My Mom would have been familiar with him when she attended Lakers games in 1950 with her friends.

Amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Hartman
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-19-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: RIP Sid Hartman, as legendary as any sports legend can get.

This is a fairly long article, but well worth the time.

Sid Hartman, 100, was a Minnesota legend: fearless power broker and sportswriter till the day he died

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2020/...y-he-died.html
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-20-2020)

Thanks for the link.

Sid Hartman was the Minnesota equivalent of Oregon's Harry Glickman, and vice-versa. Except for the fame, Hartman was like a family member to everyone in Minnesota while Glickman preferred to work behind the scenes letting others have the face/voice time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Glickman

Glickman passed away four months ago at the age of 96.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post

Sid Hartman, 100, was a Minnesota legend: fearless power broker and sportswriter till the day he died

When I first started taking care of my Mom (diagnosed Alzheimer's at the time, 1st Stage), I would take her to her favorite eatery (a greasy spoon called the Polar King, and once I stopped taking her there after she reached a stage where she wouldn't remember it, and cooked all of her meals myself, her health took a great leap forward...the place was literally killing her), well, I would pull up the Star-Tribune and read articles to her during the meals (along with other small town newspapers closer to where she grew up). Learned a lot about the current events of the Minneapolis reading the Star-Tribune every day. Tremendous number of murders every week,...seemed like it was an extension of Chicago. I'd try to find the lighter articles for her.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 10-20-2020 at 02:18 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post

From the article, one line that best describes Hartman:

"For his entire career, Hartman gave Cullum credit for this advice: Don’t worry about writing. Get the news. Writers are easy to find. Reporters aren’t."

And, I couldn't agree more. I was a broadcast and photo journalist in the military, and sports writing is the easiest thing in the world. You can literally pull anyone off the streets and turn them into a competent sports writer in two weeks. There are a few who get the luxury of being feature writers, but there's not many of them any more who are any good. There used to be quite a few. All they are now are whiners and complainers who try to write nothing but negative stories about people with the occasional story about someone who overcomes a struggle in order to tell everyone that they really do care, but they don't.

Turn Off Ads?