Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I think it’s interesting how the tune has kinda changed in the last couple years.

I’m trying to think of anything I can remember Dick being super hands on about. Like, I remember asking him in his Reddit Q&A what their plans were to turn around their player development that had just served up a few high profile duds in BobSteve and Cody Reed, and I was surprised when his answer was basically “actually we think it’s fine we probably won’t do anything”

I guess he gets credit for trading Strailly for Luis Castillo, I don’t think Krall was around for that one yet. Aside from that I can’t think of any major moves he made as GM or president.
    He probably leaned on the business side as opposed to the baseball, things like media contracts, organizational budgets...etc all that stuff he's leaving baseball to do.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-19-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm not sure how much clearer Castellini could make it that Krall's been doing all the work and what they did was eliminate the nepotism exec with the no-work job. What they did is get rid of the guy in charge of this:

I don't know. Maybe it's because I've worked largely in consultancies, but at various times I've worked in departments where there was a director at the top who "didn't do any "real" work" and times when there was no such role. Invariably, that guy served two very clear, very useful functions: 1) Setting/owning the vision for our department and selling that vision up the chain to the partners/CEO and 2) Running interference so that when the CEO got a bright idea or heard something he didn't like (but didn't really understand), none of us had to deal with the chaos that ensued. Though that guy didn't do the work per se', we were much more productive and it was a much better work environment when he was around.

I really like the idea of having somebody at the top of the food chain who had the trust of ownership and could manage up as necessary while leaving the nuts and bolts work to the ops team. This feels like Bob didn't really have anybody who he trusted enough and/or felt like paying to serve in that senior leadership role, so he just eliminated it. If the org continues to progress, I don't expect there to be any problem. But it feels fragile to me.

The upside could be that there's a mini cascade of responsibilities/opportunities flowing down the chain that pulls good ideas up faster and entices the best talent to stick around.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 10-19-2020 at 01:13 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-19-2020),Ron Madden (10-19-2020),UKFlounder (10-19-2020)

He’s been here 18 years. Maybe it’s time to look for a new direction. He’s just going to continue down the same path and try to add a few marginal players here and there and hope somehow it works with what we already have. I see this as a total rebuild because we have too many bad contracts that we can’t move. I just don’t think BC is going to put enough money into this team to make it good enough to win a WS. All Krall can do with this group is hope to get a wildcard and maybe win a series.

7. Likes:

joshua (10-20-2020),REDREAD (10-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I think it’s interesting how the tune has kinda changed in the last couple years.

I’m trying to think of anything I can remember Dick being super hands on about. Like, I remember asking him in his Reddit Q&A what their plans were to turn around their player development that had just served up a few high profile duds in BobSteve and Cody Reed, and I was surprised when his answer was basically “actually we think it’s fine we probably won’t do anything”

I guess he gets credit for trading Strailly for Luis Castillo, I don’t think Krall was around for that one yet. Aside from that I can’t think of any major moves he made as GM or president.
    I recall during the early stages of 2018 when the organization was serving up a crap sandwich that we saw some reports that Castellini's son (who runs marketing and seems to be good at his job) was spitting fire about the sorry state of the team. It seems like they identified Williams as an idiot princeling at that time and moved him into a spot where he couldn't really do any harm.

Yet it's kind of impossible to miss what just happened in the Reds' organization. The jettisoned the nominal head of their baseball operation after their first winning record and playoff appearance in seven years,. Then they didn't replace him and essentially told us this other guy has been running the show all along. They just ripped back the curtain in Oz.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

So it was choice A, rearrange the titles and nothing really changes.
    Go Gators!

10. Likes:

REDREAD (10-21-2020)

I think its time to stop with the Williams-bashing, and look ahead.

And I do think it is a fair question to ask whether anyone from outside the organization was ever seriously considered. I understand that promoting Krall keeps continuity with current operations and off-season plans, but if this is the only FO addition over the next few weeks, then it will equal a squandered opportunity to add a fresh set of eyes and outside perspective.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

12. Likes:

CySeymour (10-19-2020),REDREAD (10-21-2020)

They call me "chef"

Wow. Krall pulled a Bran and wound up winning the entire Coup of Thrones.

14. Likes:

wally post (10-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post

And I do think it is a fair question to ask whether anyone from outside the organization was ever seriously considered. I understand that promoting Krall keeps continuity with current operations and off-season plans, but if this is the only FO addition over the next few weeks, then it will equal a squandered opportunity to add a fresh set of eyes and outside perspective.
    I understand the desire to bring in a fresh perspective. However, doing so means a transition period of a few seasons as they evaluate the organization and bring in their own people. Maybe the teams needs a reset, but that would mean another few years of futility and I am not sure too many fans would be that patient.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post

They're fresh off of two years of marked improvement, which involved the Reds being as active in the transaction market as any organization in baseball. They're not looking to retool the organization. They're looking to keep on an upward trajectory. The weird part was them getting rid of the guy who was supposed to be in charge just as the frenzy of moves has started to pay off. However, it becomes a lot less weird now that Castellini has let the cat out of the bag that Krall's been running the show (meaning Williams was just a figurehead). This is the Reds liking where they're headed and jettisoning the dead weight.

Anyone who thought Williams getting shown the door meant the Reds were looking to branch out in a whole new direction read this wrong. This was not the Reds being angry at an improving organization and looking for someone to come in and shake it up. It never made any sense why that would be their thinking.

Haunted by walks

Maybe they’ll use the Dick Williams money to sign Trevor Bauer.

Bringing in a “fresh set of eyes” all too often creates a situation of two warring fiefdoms and a generally toxic atmosphere that then takes years to clean up. If you’re happy with the general direction of the franchise (and I pretty much am) why bring in someone who may or may not be pulling in the same direction?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

19. Likes:

HammerTime (10-19-2020),Ron Madden (10-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Happy that he mentioned trying to find ways for hitters to beat the shift. I think that would be huge.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

22. Likes:

757690 (10-19-2020),Edd Roush (10-19-2020),HammerTime (10-19-2020),Revering4Blue (10-19-2020),Ron Madden (10-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    "His" eh?

Read any story on Tampa Bay or the Dodgers, take a shot of whatever you like every time you come across the word "organization" or phrase "organizational approach" and you'll be soused pretty quick. Bell isn't creating the teams offensive approach he's applying it with the tools they give him. Chances are pretty good that the offensive approach you dislike is being dictated from this guys desk.
    I totally agree. That’s why Bell is there. To do the bidding of the front office.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I totally agree. That’s why Bell is there. To do the bidding of the front office.
    That's literally the job.

Turn Off Ads?