Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I agree they wanted to continue on the momentum they've built, but it also looks like they definitely forced Williams out. I suspect what happened is they moved him to away from the heating elements and sharp objects two years ago and what happened after this season is they finally decided it was time to stop paying him to do nothing. They went from no ideas to lots of ideas when Krall got elevated.
    100% this. Krall is the scout. Grossman does the analytics. Williams did nothing.

I’m ok with this move, as I think the direction of the club clearly improved once Krall was elevated. I hope it means an expanded role for Grossman as well, which it should.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Likes:

M2 (10-19-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So when he was leading Baseball Operation the theory was that Dick was an idiot failson screwing everything up, but now that he's gone we're told Dick was actually just nothing more than a useless figurehead.

So much wasted bandwidth over this guy.
    Seems like he was the former for two years and then they made him the latter. That's when Krall got elevated and their M.O. completely changed.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Whew! Glad it's not Hendry or some other Old School GM.

Frankly, I have far, far more faith in Krall's ability to lead the organization moving forward than I would have had in the ability of ownership to identify and hire an outside successor, even with Boddy, Johnson and other organizational analytical-based elements in place.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

6. Likes:

M2 (10-19-2020),Mitri (10-20-2020),RichRed (10-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That is both a fine endorsement of Krall and a devastating erasure of Williams. It's like the "oh, he was dating the best friend for years" Facebook reveal post. If I had any doubt Krall was running the show, I don't after that.
    i agree with your overall assertion. however, dude, the bolded part? what's up with that? you have some swingers you're friends with on facebook?

The Williams years were a plus for modernizing the organization; emphasizing analytics; willingness to pay top flight pitching coaches; some expansion of international scouting and signings; and a few very good value trades.

The missing link is internal development of top young players. Some still in process, kids still developing. But teams like the Dodgers, Braves, Cards always seem to have young guys ready to excel. Reds aren’t there yet.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-20-2020 at 09:33 AM.

9. Likes:

CySeymour (10-20-2020),joshua (10-20-2020),REDREAD (10-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The missing link is internal development of top young players. Some still in process, kids still developing. But teams like the Dodgers, Braves, Cards always seem to have young guys ready to excel. Reds aren’t there yet.
    I'm not sure we can make this argument, especially after not seeing prospects develop at all last season.

VanMeter and Aquino struggled. Antone and Sims developed into weapons out of the pen.

Garcia struggled in a massive jump, but Stephenson hit well (in limited ABs).

Next year may give us a clearer picture on how the kids have developed.

Greene, Lodolo, and Santillan could all end up in the majors for part of the season. (I expect two of the three to be bullpen arms some time next year.) Stephenson is probably going to be given at least a chance to play meaningful innings. Garcia will too, depending on what the Reds do with SS this off-season. India is close and may be given a shot.

The key, as has been the case for a couple of years now, is Senzel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm not sure we can make this argument, especially after not seeing prospects develop at all last season.

VanMeter and Aquino struggled. Antone and Sims developed into weapons out of the pen.

Garcia struggled in a massive jump, but Stephenson hit well (in limited ABs).

Next year may give us a clearer picture on how the kids have developed.

Greene, Lodolo, and Santillan could all end up in the majors for part of the season. (I expect two of the three to be bullpen arms some time next year.) Stephenson is probably going to be given at least a chance to play meaningful innings. Garcia will too, depending on what the Reds do with SS this off-season. India is close and may be given a shot.

The key, as has been the case for a couple of years now, is Senzel.
    We can make this argument based on results to date. Right now the Reds’ team is lacking in high level players developed internally. And yes, as I said, “some still in process, kids still developing.” Senzel - has not blossomed as yet doesn’t disprove the point.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-20-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Whew! Glad it's not Hendry or some other Old School GM.

Frankly, I have far, far more faith in Krall's ability to lead the organization moving forward than I would have had in the ability of ownership to identify and hire an outside successor, even with Boddy, Johnson and other organizational analytical-based elements in place.
    I think this is exactly where I come down on this as well. Quite frankly, I'd have been more scared of the alternative(s) here.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-20-2020)

Jeff Luhnow should be available now (or close to it).

We can make this argument based on results to date.
    I can agree that we all want the Reds to develop more high-end talent.

My argument is that we've not seen the Krall/ Williams development blossom largely because of time.

There are good signs on the team already:

- Jesse Winker's 146 wRC+ says hi.
    - Tyer Mahle's 133 ERA+ does as well.
    - TJ Antone and Lucas Sims were "lesser" prospects who've so far overperformed at the major league level. (I'd argue Aquino and VanMeter were as well, though they obviously struggled in 2020's small sample.)
    - Tyler Stephenson looked promising in even fewer ABs.

The proof in this pudding is going to be whether some combination of Senzel, Greene, Lodolo, India, Garcia, and the rest become All-Star caliber players. The only one of those who's been given more than a cup of coffee is Senzel, who's been remarkably injury-prone. The others are largely cyphers because we know next to nothing about their development last season.

My argument is that we've not seen the Krall/ Williams development blossom largely because of time.

- TJ Antone and Lucas Sims were "lesser" prospects who've so far overperformed at the major league level. (I'd argue Aquino and VanMeter were as well, though they obviously struggled in 2020's small sample.)

The proof in this pudding is going to be whether some combination of Senzel, Greene, Lodolo, India, Garcia, and the rest become All-Star caliber players. The only one of those who's been given more than a cup of coffee is Senzel, who's been remarkably injury-prone. The others are largely cyphers because we know next to nothing about their development last season.
    Stephenson and Aquino are the only ones on the current team that have a realistic possibility of being high end talent. Winker’s defense will always keep him from that label. Mahle’s been in the big for four seasons, he’s not moving beyond a mid-rotation starter.

I do agree that the prospects all need more time, but they all have so many warts, it’s hard to see more than one of them becoming a high end talent in the bigs.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Stephenson and Aquino are the only ones on the current team that have a realistic possibility of being high end talent. Winker’s defense will always keep him from that label. Mahle’s been in the big for four seasons, he’s not moving beyond a mid-rotation starter.

I do agree that the prospects all need more time, but they all have so many warts, it’s hard to see more than one of them becoming a high end talent in the bigs.
    Senzel???
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-21-2020),CaiGuy (10-20-2020),Edd Roush (10-20-2020)

Yes, Reds have some young players showing promise. But during Dick’s years the team did not develop enough high level MLB players - whether drafted by Williams, drafted before Williams, brought in from international, whatever.

Dick leaves a major league team that is largely store bought. That is sub-optimal for a small market club.

He may not personally be responsible for all of it - but that’s the state of the MLB Reds as the Williams years end.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-20-2020 at 03:38 PM.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (10-21-2020),Revering4Blue (10-20-2020)

Dick leaves a major league team that is largely store bought. That is sub-optimal for a small market club.
    We agree on this.

22. Likes:

Kc61 (10-20-2020),REDREAD (10-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Senzel???
    I counted him among the prospects, since that is how BZ counted him.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?