Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

I view this as a non-event.

Let’s see if Krall hires more baseball or analytics people. That could be interesting.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-19-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I don't have a strong opinion about this move, but I was interested in seeing who they interviewed from other organizations. I guess it never got to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyle E. Coyote View Post
    So we're just not going to hire anybody and let Cashtellini just pocket Williams salary.
    I don't know, but for one it's Bob's money and two, if they decide to devote William's salary to making a run at Bauer then I won't have a problem with that.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It seemed to me that Williams was more the business guy and Krall the baseball guy. When interviewed, Krall was the one talking players, moves, the team in detail, while Williams was talking about the general plans.

I think it’s no coincidence that the Reds started making serious moves to improve the team when Krall was promoted to GM. These moves had mixed results.

It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in the team’s philosophy and their moves now that Krall is all alone at the head of the organization.
    Yep, seems like Williams was an empty suit. The Williams years can be broken down into two distinct phases: 2017-18 marked by inactivity and slavish adherence to a rebuild that had been a colossal failure, and 2019-20 when Krall got elevated and the Reds became one of the most active front offices in the league.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    You only do that if you want a new direction. Reds were happy with the way things were going. They did not force Williams out. They wanted to continue the Williams/Krall era.
    Yes. Furthermore, things begin to happen very quickly after the WS. There is little time to interview candidates. If the Reds were rebuilding, they might have the luxury of taking their time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why didn’t they wait until the offseason and interview people from outside the organization in addition to Krall?

Oh yeah, that’s what a competent organization would do. Nevermind.
    Because Krall already had been running the baseball operation for the past two years

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Hmmmm sadly this probably means the Reds are continuing with Bell and his deeply flawed offensive approach.
    "His" eh?

Read any story on Tampa Bay or the Dodgers, take a shot of whatever you like every time you come across the word "organization" or phrase "organizational approach" and you'll be soused pretty quick. Bell isn't creating the teams offensive approach he's applying it with the tools they give him. Chances are pretty good that the offensive approach you dislike is being dictated from this guys desk.

10. Likes:

M2 (10-19-2020),mth123 (10-19-2020)

I hope everyone working under Krall gets to take a step forward. See if they are grooming someone for the GM slot in the future. If this is a healthy organization, they will have some person/people eager and ready to step up.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    You only do that if you want a new direction. Reds were happy with the way things were going. They did not force Williams out. They wanted to continue the Williams/Krall era.
    I agree they wanted to continue on the momentum they've built, but it also looks like they definitely forced Williams out. I suspect what happened is they moved him to away from the heating elements and sharp objects two years ago and what happened after this season is they finally decided it was time to stop paying him to do nothing. They went from no ideas to lots of ideas when Krall got elevated.
    Last edited by M2; 10-19-2020 at 06:16 PM.

13. Likes:

Benihana (10-19-2020),REDREAD (10-21-2020)

I think this was done with one person in mind - Trevor Bauer. If they wait until after the World Series to start talking to people, it means the Bauer window may then close with either no one at the head or an unknown at the head of the Reds' organization. At least this way Bauer (if he is interested in re-signing with the Reds) won't be signing with a potential leaderless organization. It also ensures that we stay with the analytical approach, which Bauer apparently loves.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

15. Likes:

savafan (10-19-2020)

I like Krall and I think they have made some solid moves to overhaul this franchise, I would like to see that continue on and see how it plays out. These are things you fix in a year or two so I'm fine with seeing how this plays out a little longer.

"We are excited for Nick to assume the lead over our baseball operations,” said Castellini. “His hands-on approach as general manager gives us the opportunity to reinstate that role as the top position in our baseball department and keep the years of hard work that happened under his purview producing stronger, more competitive teams.”
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/nick-k...perations-head
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 10-19-2020 at 12:43 PM.

"His hands-on approach as general manager gives us the opportunity to reinstate that role as the top position in our baseball department and keep the years of hard work that happened under his purview producing stronger, more competitive teams.”
    I'm not sure how much clearer Castellini could make it that Krall's been doing all the work and what they did was eliminate the nepotism exec with the no-work job. What they did is get rid of the guy in charge of this:

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm not sure how much clearer Castellini could make it that Krall's been doing all the work and what they did was eliminate the nepotism exec with the no-work job. What they did is get rid of the guy in charge of this
    My guess is that this is what Castellini was talking about when he said the team would be taking a closer look at the structure of baseball operations.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

20. Likes:

M2 (10-19-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm not sure how much clearer Castellini could make it that Krall's been doing all the work and what they did was eliminate the nepotism exec with the no-work job. What they did is get rid of the guy in charge of this:

I think it’s interesting how the tune has kinda changed in the last couple years.

I’m trying to think of anything I can remember Dick being super hands on about. Like, I remember asking him in his Reddit Q&A what their plans were to turn around their player development that had just served up a few high profile duds in BobSteve and Cody Reed, and I was surprised when his answer was basically “actually we think it’s fine we probably won’t do anything”

I guess he gets credit for trading Strailly for Luis Castillo, I don’t think Krall was around for that one yet. Aside from that I can’t think of any major moves he made as GM or president.

22. Likes:

M2 (10-19-2020)

Turn Off Ads?