Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 94

Thread: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    12,915

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I agree they wanted to continue on the momentum they've built, but it also looks like they definitely forced Williams out. I suspect what happened is they moved him to away from the heating elements and sharp objects two years ago and what happened after this season is they finally decided it was time to stop paying him to do nothing. They went from no ideas to lots of ideas when Krall got elevated.
    100% this. Krall is the scout. Grossman does the analytics. Williams did nothing.

    I’m ok with this move, as I think the direction of the club clearly improved once Krall was elevated. I hope it means an expanded role for Grossman as well, which it should.
    Go BLUE!!!

  2. Likes:

    M2 (10-19-2020)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #62
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    39,737

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So when he was leading Baseball Operation the theory was that Dick was an idiot failson screwing everything up, but now that he's gone we're told Dick was actually just nothing more than a useless figurehead.

    So much wasted bandwidth over this guy.
    Seems like he was the former for two years and then they made him the latter. That's when Krall got elevated and their M.O. completely changed.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  5. #63
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    2,038

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Whew! Glad it's not Hendry or some other Old School GM.

    Frankly, I have far, far more faith in Krall's ability to lead the organization moving forward than I would have had in the ability of ownership to identify and hire an outside successor, even with Boddy, Johnson and other organizational analytical-based elements in place.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

  6. Likes:

    M2 (10-20-2020),Mitri (10-20-2020),RichRed (10-20-2020)

  7. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That is both a fine endorsement of Krall and a devastating erasure of Williams. It's like the "oh, he was dating the best friend for years" Facebook reveal post. If I had any doubt Krall was running the show, I don't after that.
    i agree with your overall assertion. however, dude, the bolded part? what's up with that? you have some swingers you're friends with on facebook?

  8. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    28,790

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    The Williams years were a plus for modernizing the organization; emphasizing analytics; willingness to pay top flight pitching coaches; some expansion of international scouting and signings; and a few very good value trades.

    The missing link is internal development of top young players. Some still in process, kids still developing. But teams like the Dodgers, Braves, Cards always seem to have young guys ready to excel. Reds aren’t there yet.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-20-2020 at 10:33 AM.

  9. Likes:

    CySeymour (10-20-2020),joshua (10-20-2020),REDREAD (10-21-2020)

  10. #66
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,095

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The missing link is internal development of top young players. Some still in process, kids still developing. But teams like the Dodgers, Braves, Cards always seem to have young guys ready to excel. Reds aren’t there yet.
    I'm not sure we can make this argument, especially after not seeing prospects develop at all last season.

    VanMeter and Aquino struggled. Antone and Sims developed into weapons out of the pen.

    Garcia struggled in a massive jump, but Stephenson hit well (in limited ABs).

    Next year may give us a clearer picture on how the kids have developed.

    Greene, Lodolo, and Santillan could all end up in the majors for part of the season. (I expect two of the three to be bullpen arms some time next year.) Stephenson is probably going to be given at least a chance to play meaningful innings. Garcia will too, depending on what the Reds do with SS this off-season. India is close and may be given a shot.

    The key, as has been the case for a couple of years now, is Senzel.

  11. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    28,790

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'm not sure we can make this argument, especially after not seeing prospects develop at all last season.

    VanMeter and Aquino struggled. Antone and Sims developed into weapons out of the pen.

    Garcia struggled in a massive jump, but Stephenson hit well (in limited ABs).

    Next year may give us a clearer picture on how the kids have developed.

    Greene, Lodolo, and Santillan could all end up in the majors for part of the season. (I expect two of the three to be bullpen arms some time next year.) Stephenson is probably going to be given at least a chance to play meaningful innings. Garcia will too, depending on what the Reds do with SS this off-season. India is close and may be given a shot.

    The key, as has been the case for a couple of years now, is Senzel.
    We can make this argument based on results to date. Right now the Reds’ team is lacking in high level players developed internally. And yes, as I said, “some still in process, kids still developing.” Senzel - has not blossomed as yet doesn’t disprove the point.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-20-2020 at 12:25 PM.

  12. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    9,035

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Whew! Glad it's not Hendry or some other Old School GM.

    Frankly, I have far, far more faith in Krall's ability to lead the organization moving forward than I would have had in the ability of ownership to identify and hire an outside successor, even with Boddy, Johnson and other organizational analytical-based elements in place.
    I think this is exactly where I come down on this as well. Quite frankly, I'd have been more scared of the alternative(s) here.

  13. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (10-20-2020)

  14. #69
    Member texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    17,559

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Jeff Luhnow should be available now (or close to it).

  15. #70
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,095

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    We can make this argument based on results to date.
    I can agree that we all want the Reds to develop more high-end talent.

    My argument is that we've not seen the Krall/ Williams development blossom largely because of time.

    There are good signs on the team already:

    - Jesse Winker's 146 wRC+ says hi.
    - Tyer Mahle's 133 ERA+ does as well.
    - TJ Antone and Lucas Sims were "lesser" prospects who've so far overperformed at the major league level. (I'd argue Aquino and VanMeter were as well, though they obviously struggled in 2020's small sample.)
    - Tyler Stephenson looked promising in even fewer ABs.

    The proof in this pudding is going to be whether some combination of Senzel, Greene, Lodolo, India, Garcia, and the rest become All-Star caliber players. The only one of those who's been given more than a cup of coffee is Senzel, who's been remarkably injury-prone. The others are largely cyphers because we know next to nothing about their development last season.

  16. #71
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    25,415

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I can agree that we all want the Reds to develop more high-end talent.

    My argument is that we've not seen the Krall/ Williams development blossom largely because of time.

    There are good signs on the team already:

    - Jesse Winker's 146 wRC+ says hi.
    - Tyer Mahle's 133 ERA+ does as well.
    - TJ Antone and Lucas Sims were "lesser" prospects who've so far overperformed at the major league level. (I'd argue Aquino and VanMeter were as well, though they obviously struggled in 2020's small sample.)
    - Tyler Stephenson looked promising in even fewer ABs.

    The proof in this pudding is going to be whether some combination of Senzel, Greene, Lodolo, India, Garcia, and the rest become All-Star caliber players. The only one of those who's been given more than a cup of coffee is Senzel, who's been remarkably injury-prone. The others are largely cyphers because we know next to nothing about their development last season.
    Stephenson and Aquino are the only ones on the current team that have a realistic possibility of being high end talent. Winker’s defense will always keep him from that label. Mahle’s been in the big for four seasons, he’s not moving beyond a mid-rotation starter.

    I do agree that the prospects all need more time, but they all have so many warts, it’s hard to see more than one of them becoming a high end talent in the bigs.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

  17. #72
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    24,920

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Stephenson and Aquino are the only ones on the current team that have a realistic possibility of being high end talent. Winker’s defense will always keep him from that label. Mahle’s been in the big for four seasons, he’s not moving beyond a mid-rotation starter.

    I do agree that the prospects all need more time, but they all have so many warts, it’s hard to see more than one of them becoming a high end talent in the bigs.
    Senzel???
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  18. Likes:

    alwaysawarrior (10-21-2020),CaiGuy (10-20-2020),Edd Roush (10-20-2020)

  19. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    28,790

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I can agree that we all want the Reds to develop more high-end talent.

    My argument is that we've not seen the Krall/ Williams development blossom largely because of time.

    There are good signs on the team already:

    - Jesse Winker's 146 wRC+ says hi.
    - Tyer Mahle's 133 ERA+ does as well.
    - TJ Antone and Lucas Sims were "lesser" prospects who've so far overperformed at the major league level. (I'd argue Aquino and VanMeter were as well, though they obviously struggled in 2020's small sample.)
    - Tyler Stephenson looked promising in even fewer ABs.

    The proof in this pudding is going to be whether some combination of Senzel, Greene, Lodolo, India, Garcia, and the rest become All-Star caliber players. The only one of those who's been given more than a cup of coffee is Senzel, who's been remarkably injury-prone. The others are largely cyphers because we know next to nothing about their development last season.
    Yes, Reds have some young players showing promise. But during Dick’s years the team did not develop enough high level MLB players - whether drafted by Williams, drafted before Williams, brought in from international, whatever.

    Dick leaves a major league team that is largely store bought. That is sub-optimal for a small market club.

    He may not personally be responsible for all of it - but that’s the state of the MLB Reds as the Williams years end.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-20-2020 at 04:38 PM.

  20. Likes:

    REDREAD (10-21-2020),Revering4Blue (10-20-2020)

  21. #74
    Member Bourgeois Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,095

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Dick leaves a major league team that is largely store bought. That is sub-optimal for a small market club.
    We agree on this.

  22. Likes:

    Kc61 (10-20-2020),REDREAD (10-21-2020)

  23. #75
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    25,415

    Re: Nick Krall Named Head Of Reds Baseball Operations

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Senzel???
    I counted him among the prospects, since that is how BZ counted him.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator