Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: When/Where Did You Attend Your First Reds Game? How Old Were You?

Re: When/Where Did You Attend Your First Reds Game? How Old Were You?

August 9, 1997. I was 28. The only thing I remember about the game is that it was Deion Sanders' 30th birthday. But apparently, Reggie Sanders went deep, Chris Stynes went 3 for 3, and the immortal Gabe White mowed down the Dodgers.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...99708090.shtml
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Likes:

goreds2 (10-23-2020),Ron Madden (10-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

First Reds game was at Crosley Field, May 1, 1964. They played (and beat) the hapless Mets. I actually don’t remember much of the game. My dad got some client’s good seats and we sat right behind the Mets dugout. I just remember it was semi-drizzly and the seats at Crosley were distinctively uncomfortable. And like every time I went to Crosley, it smelled like beer and cigars. I was 11. I think it was a Friday night game.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...96405010.shtml
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

5. Likes:

1970 Crosley maybe a month prior to the switch to Riverfront, so I think sometime in June because school was out. There was a two game Tue/Wed series against the Phillies and I think it may have been one of those games. A neighbor of ours was a Post/Timestar sports reporter and one morning he came to our house and told my mom he'd take me and his son to the game. I was 5 so the memory is not real clear, except that he left us alone in the field level seats about ten rows deep between the third base dugout and the plexiglass screen. I felt alone, but I would guess he knew the people around us and asked them to keep an eye out while he went to work in the press box. The place seemed gargantuan to me, and yet dank and cramped at the same time. The restroom beneath the stands reeked of urine, beer and cigar smoke...in fact the whole place smelled like a cigar, even out in the seats. But the little bits of it I can recall are dear to me because between me and my two older brothers, I am the only one who ever went to a game at Crosley. Thanks to Jim Zentmeyer.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

7. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    1970 Crosley maybe a month prior to the switch to Riverfront, so I think sometime in June because school was out. There was a two game Tue/Wed series against the Phillies and I think it may have been one of those games. A neighbor of ours was a Post/Timestar sports reporter and one morning he came to our house and told my mom he'd take me and his son to the game. I was 5 so the memory is not real clear, except that he left us alone in the field level seats about ten rows deep between the third base dugout and the plexiglass screen. I felt alone, but I would guess he knew the people around us and asked them to keep an eye out while he went to work in the press box. The place seemed gargantuan to me, and yet dank and cramped at the same time. The restroom beneath the stands reeked of urine, beer and cigar smoke...in fact the whole place smelled like a cigar, even out in the seats. But the little bits of it I can recall are dear to me because between me and my two older brothers, I am the only one who ever went to a game at Crosley. Thanks to Jim Zentmeyer.
    Funny, you and Roy remember cigar and beer smell. I remember that too, but most of all I remember the smell of roasted peanuts and hot dogs also.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (10-23-2020)

roy bill henry was amazing he held juesse gonder to one hit

The year was 1961 at Crosley. I WAS I2. i was a big fan, listening to the Reds every night on WCKY.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 10-23-2020 at 01:41 AM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

12. Likes:

goreds2 (10-23-2020),Ron Madden (10-23-2020)

July 3, 1976 Reds v Astros at Riverfront.

11 year old BRM fanatic Moonlite Graham sat near the top in CF Red Seats. Moonlite's baseball hating parents sat 1st row behind Astros dugout. (Still bitter about that)

Highlight of game was Bob Bailey hitting 2 home runs playing in place of an injured George Foster.

Reds won a 9-8 slugfest.

14. Likes:

goreds2 (10-23-2020),Ron Madden (10-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlite Graham View Post

11 year old BRM fanatic Moonlite Graham sat near the top in CF Red Seats. Moonlite's baseball hating parents sat 1st row behind Astros dugout. (Still bitter about that)
    Yeah. I think that would stick for a while.
    These days if you left your 11 year old alone in the crowd at a ballpark there's a you would get a call from children's services.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

santo alcala did not pitch well that day

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    roy bill henry was amazing he held juesse gonder to one hit
    Gonder had beaten out Choo Choo Coleman as their starting catcher.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

choo choo coleman was once the guest on the post game show of Ralph Kiner He asked Choo-Choo what is your wifes name and what does she like,, he answered her name is Mrs Coleman and she likes me

July 1st, 2010.....Wrigley Field.......Reds won 3-2......I was 59 and 1/2 years

July 4th, 2010.......my attendance of a Mike Leake start.....I have attended 5 Leake starts in his 10 year career

GO SUNDEVIL BASEBALL

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Yeah. I think that would stick for a while.
    These days if you left your 11 year old alone in the crowd at a ballpark there's a you would get a call from children's services.
    Yep, but if you leave your kids behind the dugout while the parents sit out in the CF red seats, it won't be your kid reporting you.

HEY FOSTER DO YOU THINK Vern Geishert and Frank Duffy were worth acquiring you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    HEY FOSTER DO YOU THINK Vern Geishert and Frank Duffy were worth acquiring you?
    Of course it was. Without acquiring me, they would never have acquired the greatest catcher of all time, Alex Trevino.

Turn Off Ads?