Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: When/Where Did You Attend Your First Reds Game? How Old Were You?

Re: When/Where Did You Attend Your First Reds Game? How Old Were You?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Sep 6th, 1986.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box...d=198309060SFN

One of 3,562 in attendance on a Tuesday afternoon in Candlestick. Was 24 years old, just hitchhiked from Salem, Oregon to the Bay Area (chose Concord/Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill area after I saw its population by the nightlights from above on Ygnacio Valley Blvd) in order to get work as a Computer Programmer in the Silicon Valley. Went to the game on crutches after a high ankle sprain a week earlier landing on someone's heal getting a rebound (had jaundice in the leg for over a year). Hard to go down the stairs in the stands on crutches. Tried to get Bench's autograph before the game, but too many others getting it and I didn't want to be pushy at 24. REDS won 11-1, so that was good. Bench didn't play. That was bad. But, I stood three feet from him, so that was good. He was my favorite RED until I switched to Eric Davis in '85 (had a crush on Jose Rijo when he was with the Yankees when he was still a minor and hoped at that time there was a way for the REDS to get him).
    Confused. Bench retired in 1983.

Edited: Okay, not confused anymore, the link says 1983, but top of your post says 1986.
    Last edited by foster15; 10-22-2020 at 01:32 AM.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-30-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

1965. I turned age 10 in June and I'm not sure if I was age 9 or 10 when I went to my first game with my parents and sister. I t was an exciting adventure for me. We rode the C&O passenger train from Huntington to Cincinnati, my first ever train trip, and then took my first ever cab ride from the railroad station to Crosley Field. While Crosley was very old and the smallest park in the majors, to me it was a huge and incredible palace.
    I was a Cardinals fan then. I can remember that before the game a Cardinals player posed in a batting stance near their dugout so I could take his photo. I fumbled with the old box camera we had and by the time I snapped the photo he had dropped his bat to his side and was just smiling-that Cardinal player was Steve Carlton.
    I don't remember much about the game itself. I can recall Lou Brock hitting a long foul ball to lead off the game and that's about it.
    I think it was "bat day" at that game. I know on one visit to Crosley it was bat day and my sister and I each got Little League length bats. She got a Jim Coker bat and I got a Deron Johnson bat.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

5. Likes:

goreds2 (10-22-2020),marcshoe (10-23-2020),Ron Madden (10-22-2020),Roy Tucker (10-22-2020),WVRedsFan (10-23-2020)

1983 driving cross country to stary my radiology job in california stopped to watch Brett Butler triple to lead off the game against Frank Pastore reds lost 7-1

Mine was the final game held at Riverfront in 2002, I was 28.

8. Likes:

goreds2 (10-22-2020),Ron Madden (10-22-2020),Spider Tre (10-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Riverfront Stadium 1975: Green seats behind home plate. Reds defeated the Expos. Saw Doug Flynn in the dugout pre-game. He was the first MLB player I saw in person. I was thrilled to death then I saw some players named Bench, Rose etc. When I saw the Astro Turf, I was totally awed.

I was 12 years young.
    . This internet thing is cool. Here is the box score.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box...d=197508090CN5
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

10. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-22-2020)

Saturday, September 5th 1987 vs. the Cubs in Wrigley. The day before was when Eric Davis hurt himself running into the brick wall making a catch and broke a rib and bruised his shoulder and was out for the rest of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

12. Likes:

goreds2 (10-23-2020),Ron Madden (10-22-2020)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

May 16, 1980, I was 24 in Montreal.

Reds lost 2-1, Seaver lost his no hitter on an infield single with two outs in the 7th, and lost the game giving up 2 runs in the 8th.

14. Likes:

goreds2 (10-23-2020),KeefeCato (10-22-2020),Ron Madden (10-22-2020)

I made an error my first game was 1963 at the polo grounds marty keough played outfield

1975 Doubleheader vs. Expos.
    Reds won both games. I was 8. Gullett and Billingham pitched. Both games were close as best as I remember.
    Green seats above first base. Still have ticket stub somewhere.
    Edit Norman might have pitched instead of Billingham. I don't remember date. Summer as I would have been out of school. We lived over 3 hours away.
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 10-22-2020 at 01:35 PM.

17. Likes:

goreds2 (10-23-2020),Kingspoint (10-30-2020),Ron Madden (10-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    1975 Doubleheader vs. Expos.
    Reds won both games. I was 8. Gullett and Billingham pitched. Both games were close as best as I remember.
    Green seats above first base. Still have ticket stub somewhere.
    Edit Norman might have pitched instead of Billingham. I don't remember date. Summer as I would have been out of school. We lived over 3 hours away.
    Just looked it up for you. It was May 26 (Memorial Day). The Reds won the opener 4-3. Jack Billingham was the starter, and Fred Norman pitched in relief. Clay Carroll was the winning pitcher, and Will McEnaney got the save. The Reds won the second game 5-4. Don Gullett was the starter and winner. Pedro Borbon and Rawly Eastwick pitched in relief, with Eastwick getting the save. Johnny Bench hit a grand slam in the fifth inning.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

19. Likes:

goreds2 (10-23-2020),KeefeCato (10-22-2020),Ron Madden (10-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Just looked it up for you. It was May 26 (Memorial Day). The Reds won the opener 4-3. Jack Billingham was the starter, and Fred Norman pitched in relief. Clay Carroll was the winning pitcher, and Will McEnaney got the save. The Reds won the second game 5-4. Don Gullett was the starter and winner. Pedro Borbon and Rawly Eastwick pitched in relief, with Eastwick getting the save. Johnny Bench hit a grand slam in the fifth inning.
    Speaking of double headers, I've been to one conventional, and one unconventional. 1st was in 1969 against Padres, Jack Fisher won first game and Tony Cloninger won 2nd game 12-0 and hit a homer.

The unconventional one was 1979. Cap day at Riverfront. Seaver started against Cards and got hurt I believe because he only pitched 2 or 3 innings and gave up one run. Paul Moskau finished it for a Reds win. Foster crushed a homer in that game. We were parked on other side of Coliseum and as we were leaving, crowds were lining up for a Rod Stewart concert. We said wth and got tickets. Apparently we weren't the only sports/rock crossovers as the concert was a sea of people wearing Reds caps.
    Last edited by foster15; 10-22-2020 at 02:57 PM.

21. Likes:

goreds2 (10-23-2020),KeefeCato (10-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Thanks, Big Klu. I do remember Bench hitting a HR but didn't remember it being a grand slam. Memorial day makes sense because at that time the Friday before memorial day for me would have been the last day of school.
    We went to many doubleheaders back in the 70s. I have never saw the Reds lose a DH. Every one I ever went to was a split except for this one and the last one I have been to in the 90s we swept the Rockies. I remember a huge comeback in Game 2 and Taubensee hitting a big HR late.
    Probably saw 10-12 DHs down through the years. I really wish those would make a comeback.
    I have saw the Reds play the Expos more than any other team. Because after 76 I saw every single Reds-Expos game at riverfront during the years Perez went to the Expos. As my Mom was a huge Tony fan.
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 10-22-2020 at 03:23 PM.

23. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    1965. I turned age 10 in June and I'm not sure if I was age 9 or 10 when I went to my first game with my parents and sister. I t was an exciting adventure for me. We rode the C&O passenger train from Huntington to Cincinnati, my first ever train trip, and then took my first ever cab ride from the railroad station to Crosley Field. While Crosley was very old and the smallest park in the majors, to me it was a huge and incredible palace.
    I was a Cardinals fan then. I can remember that before the game a Cardinals player posed in a batting stance near their dugout so I could take his photo. I fumbled with the old box camera we had and by the time I snapped the photo he had dropped his bat to his side and was just smiling-that Cardinal player was Steve Carlton.
    I don't remember much about the game itself. I can recall Lou Brock hitting a long foul ball to lead off the game and that's about it.
    I think it was "bat day" at that game. I know on one visit to Crosley it was bat day and my sister and I each got Little League length bats. She got a Jim Coker bat and I got a Deron Johnson bat.
    Loved Bat day. Remember getting a George Foster black bat. Can't remember if it was last game of 77 season or first Sunday of 78 season.

25. Likes:

goreds2 (10-23-2020)

i've only been to 2 games, first being in 2010 vs the Cubs. i was 16 and wasn't really interested in baseball until late 2009/early 2010. i went with my folks and we sat in the upper deck bleachers in left field. it was sunny all game until about the 8th when clouds were finally starting to roll in. what was kinda funny, since my mom didn't follow the Reds much, after Bruce homered, she asked me why they were booing him

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...01008290.shtml

my 2nd was also against the Cubs on June 8, 2011. i went with my dad and my brother. we sat in the nosebleeds on the first base side. we were hoping the little overhang would provide some shade but it didn't provide any until about the 9th. we missed the Reds only run and the Cubs first 3 runs cooling ourselves with the big fan in near the bathroom

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...01106080.shtml
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

27. Likes:

Sunday July 25, 1982 Reds v Cubs I was 10. Reds won 2-1 Bruce Beryni beat Fergie Jenkins and Alex Trevino hit a triple. It was like 96* that day and my oldest sister and brother in law took me, my sister stood up for the anthem and passed out. I watched the first 6 innings alone and scared then watched the last 3 From the first aid station.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?