Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When/Where Did You Attend Your First Reds Game? How Old Were You?

When/Where Did You Attend Your First Reds Game? How Old Were You?

I went to my first Reds game in 1963 at Crosley Field.
    The Reds beat the Dodgers 1-0. I was 9 yrs old.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When/Where Did You Attend Your First Reds Game? How Old Were You?

who pitched

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    who pitched
    Joey Jay vs Sandy Koufax

6. Likes:

goreds2 (10-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I went to my first Reds game in 1963 at Crosley Field.
    The Reds beat the Dodgers 1-0. I was 9 yrs old.
    April 5, 1982 at Riverfront Stadium (Opening Day). Red seats beyond the foul pole in LF. A 3-2 loss to the Cubs in a game called after 8 innings. It was 40° and raining the whole game. I was 12 years old.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 10-21-2020 at 11:18 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

8. Likes:

goreds2 (10-21-2020),Kingspoint (10-22-2020),Ron Madden (10-21-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-22-2020),Ron Madden (10-21-2020)

1972 Shea Stadium
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

12. Likes:

I believe it was 1968 in Crosley field, but I just remember walking forever and vague impressions of the ballpark. I was 6. No idea who the reds were playing. My dad always told a story about Willie McCovey losing a pop fly in the lights as the reds circled the bases and then Willie hitting a homer in the 9th to win it, but I have no idea if that was my first game or some other game my dad saw.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

14. Likes:

I think it was 1973, the Reds versus the Padres. I was probably around 11-12 years old. The Reds won 9-4.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

16. Likes:

1965 in Crosley field against the Mets. I was real young and wasn't really aware of what was going on. I knew we were in the park and a game was going on and I knew the Mets were the other team. Other than that, I remember being with my dad and brothers. Don't remember much about the game. Seems like Art Shamsky hit a HR that day, but I may be confusing that with another game. First game I consciously remember was in 1967. Don Pavletich hit a double to drive in a couple runs and I think Ted Abernathy got the save. I went to several games in 1968 that I remember quite well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

Riverfront Stadium 1975: Green seats behind home plate. Reds defeated the Expos. Saw Doug Flynn in the dugout pre-game. He was the first MLB player I saw in person. I was thrilled to death then I saw some players named Bench, Rose etc. When I saw the Astro Turf, I was totally awed.

I was 12 years young.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

20. Likes:

My first game, I only remember being their with my family. I was very young, didn't know a thing about baseball other than you try to hit the ball with a bat. I think I fell asleep during game. Don't remember the year, or who the Reds played and who won. I'm guessing it was around 1963 or so.

My first game I remember, and I count as my first game, my school class went on May 22, 1968. Reds vs Astros. Maloney against Dave Guisti. Reds lost 1-0. But while I knew more about baseball, the only player I was familiar with was Pete Rose. And, in the bottom of the ninth, with Vada Pinson on 3rd and 2 outs, Lee May hit a groundout to shortstop, and since Pinson touched home plate before the 3rd out was recorded at 1st base, I screamed "YES!!!" thinking the run counted. Classmate next to me, who knew more than I did, angrily looked at me and said "Why are you so happy, we lost?". I said something like "No, he got home before the ball reached 1st base.". Well, I learned that day that you can't score on a force out on the 3rd out. I still don't understand that rule lol (j/k).

I went to my 2nd game that season a little more than 3 months later with my parents on Sept 2, 1968. I became much more familiar with the team and the rules by then. And it was billed as the pitching matchup of the year with Gary Nolan vs Bob Gibson. And it played out that way with a 0-0 game into the top of the 10th. Nolan pitched a gem but I believe hurt his arm in the 9th and was removed for Ted Abernathy in the 10th. He gave up a homer to his first batter, Julian Javier and we lost again 1-0. It wasn't until opening game of the next year that I saw the Reds score a run, back to back homers by Rose and Tolan to lead of the season and the still lost 3-2 to Don Drysdale.
    Last edited by foster15; 10-21-2020 at 11:16 PM.

22. Likes:

goreds2 (10-22-2020),Kingspoint (10-22-2020),Ron Madden (10-21-2020)

Kid Glove game 1976, I was 13

24. Likes:

goreds2 (10-22-2020),Kingspoint (10-22-2020),Ron Madden (10-21-2020)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

My dad had business tickets in the yellow/box seats, and once we moved to Ohio, he'd save them for us to go 2-3 times per year, and those all run together as these were lean years for the Reds. I'm figuring 4th grade, and it would had to have been a weeknight game (Mon-Thu) because there aren't weekend "business seats."

First time I remember us going to a game on purpose/with intent, it was a Sunday Beach Boys Concert. But again, couldn't tell you the year; more like 7th or 8th grade, I'm guessing.

26. Likes:

goreds2 (10-22-2020),Kingspoint (10-22-2020)

Sep 6th, 1986.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box...d=198309060SFN

One of 3,562 in attendance on a Tuesday afternoon in Candlestick. Was 24 years old, just hitchhiked from Salem, Oregon to the Bay Area (chose Concord/Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill area after I saw its population by the nightlights from above on Ygnacio Valley Blvd) in order to get work as a Computer Programmer in the Silicon Valley. Went to the game on crutches after a high ankle sprain a week earlier landing on someone's heal getting a rebound (had jaundice in the leg for over a year). Hard to go down the stairs in the stands on crutches. Tried to get Bench's autograph before the game, but too many others getting it and I didn't want to be pushy at 24. REDS won 11-1, so that was good. Bench didn't play. That was bad. But, I stood three feet from him, so that was good. He was my favorite RED until I switched to Eric Davis in '85 (had a crush on Jose Rijo when he was with the Yankees when he was still a minor and hoped at that time there was a way for the REDS to get him).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

28. Likes:

foster15 (10-22-2020),goreds2 (10-22-2020),Ron Madden (10-22-2020),Umkubas (11-17-2020)

1961. Game three of the world series vs the yankees. At Crosley field. I was 11 years old. My aunt was a secretary at WLW. She got two tickets for my dad and i. We drove 600 miles from central Georgia, went to the game the next day, and drove back the following day. The reds lost 3-2. I think it was a Maris homer that sank them. I can remember Leo (Chico) Cardenas hitting a long fly ball to centerfield high off of that big scoreboard. To the left or the right of that scoreboard would have been a homer to tie the game.

30. Likes:

goreds2 (10-22-2020),RichRed (10-22-2020),Ron Madden (10-22-2020)

Turn Off Ads?