Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 2020 MLB Season / Postseason Thread Part Deux

Re: 2020 MLB Season / Postseason Thread Part Deux

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Well, there's certainly could have been a path to a 1-1 result. That keeps it going.
    Maybe, but the Dodgers had last ups, so a tie leaned in their direction. And 1 run is still a pretty ambitious scenario. The Rays would have done extremely well to keep the Dodgers to 2 runs over 9 innings. They hadn't kept L.A. under 4 the entire series. Seems to me we're just speculating on different ways the Rays ultimately lose that game.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Why go to Nick Anderson, though?

He hadn’t made a scoreless appearance the entire World Series.
    That's a damned-if-you-damned-if-you-don't situation. Anderson technically was the Rays' top reliever. The Dodgers got to all their top guys in this series. Yet if you stick your lesser/wholly untested guys on the mound in their place do you expect that's going to work any better? At some point the guys who got you there are either going to win or lose the series, and the Dodgers had Mookie Betts.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's a damned-if-you-damned-if-you-don't situation. Anderson technically was the Rays' top reliever. The Dodgers got to all their top guys in this series. Yet if you stick your lesser/wholly untested guys on the mound in their place do you expect that's going to work any better? At some point the guys who got you there are either going to win or lose the series, and the Dodgers had Mookie Betts.
    To me, they were basically trying to avoid Snell following the foot steps of playoffs Kershaw.

I know its totally in vogue to say that Kershaw just isn't clutch, but most of his playoff struggles came after dominating through the first two times through the order, and then getting pounded being left in too long in similar circumstance. If it could happen to prime Kershaw, it could happen just as easily to Snell. It really is a damned if you do, damned if you dont situation when you are dealing against an elite-elite offense.

Anyways, Anderson had been problematic throughout the entire playoffs. I dont know why, but his K rate dropped from his normal 15/9 to like 6/9 in the playoffs. His struggles were against more than the Dodgers. I think a good argument exists he wasnt the best option at that particular time despite his dominant regular season pedigree. Something just hasn't felt right with him.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

5. Likes:

M2 (10-28-2020)

Hey, the circumstances are terrible, especially for a franchise pillar. It’s heartbreaking to ponder Turner stuck in isolation while his teammates celebrate the greatest professional achievement of their lives.

It’s not like stars have never been deprived of a championship celebration. Cincinnati Reds great Eric Davis was hospitalized with a lacerated kidney suffered during Game 4 of the 1990 World Series when his club dogpiled on the field. His championship ring is just as shiny.
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/10...tocol-covid-19

7. Likes:

757690 (10-28-2020),The Operator (10-28-2020)

pulling snell will go down as one of the dumbest decisions by a manager in world series history.

MLB Releases Statement Ripping Justin Turner For Violating COVID-19 Protocols
    https://nesn.com/2020/10/mlb-release...-19-protocols/

Manfred throwing Justin Turner under the Covid bus.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Correction for the Sun-Times: Davis lacerated his kidney making a diving catch.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Correction for the Sun-Times: Davis lacerated his kidney making a diving catch.
    It wasn't written particularly clearly, but I'm fairly certain that the meaning is "When the Reds were dogpiling, Eric Davis was in the hospital with a lacerated kidney". He wasn't saying he lacerated his kidney in the dogpile.

13. Likes:

M2 (10-28-2020),Ron Madden (10-28-2020)

Dodgers should have been forced to forfeit.

* city.
    Go Gators!

15. Likes:

757690 (10-28-2020)

The Green Fields of the Mind
    It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring when everything else begins again and it blossoms in the summer filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone, you count on it rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most,it stops. A. Bartlett Giamatti
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?